HAL secrets

Orcrone

Has anyone ever looked for the coins left by the shipyard workers. They are normally embedded in some part of the superstructure up on the "infamous" Sky Deck (this is a daytime activity, by necessity). I usually look for these on every ship that I sail on, and have always found them on the HAL ships.

Cheers for all the tips. I am soo exited about my cruise. Does anyone know if you can buy the tiles if it your first cruise?

Princess Yoga;) I've never heard of the tiles being offered for sale (you don't see them in the shops). Maybe befriend a Mariner and see if they happen to only want one and give you the second (they're usualy given out two per cabin)

Our favorite is the Java Bar and the tea selection. But the all time favorite was the condiment bar and the rock candy swizzle sticks made from brown sugar. Hopefully they will keep the Java Bar free on the Prinsendam.

Carol

Cheers, John.. That just made me think my uncle will get one and he'd probably give it to me if I ask nicely. Do you mind me asking if you are still in the Corps? My dad is a American Marine. He is a retired Major

Nope, I was in the Corps a while back (76-80) Give my best to your dad! Semper Fi!

• 1 month later...
Princess Yoga;) I've never heard of the tiles being offered for sale (you don't see them in the shops). Maybe befriend a Mariner and see if they happen to only want one and give you the second (they're usualy given out two per cabin)

Check Ebay. Put this in the search in the "holland america" tile

Joni

PS. We didn't them on our 2004 Noordam cruise - maybe they ran out of them.

Dutch Pea Soup served on deck in Glacier Bay!

Real patio furniture on the verandahs! (not the cheapo plastic crap)

The chairs were the first thing my hubby noticed in the pictures. We had the plastic ones on our first cruise, and they were worthless.

Wow, this is such a great thread. This will be our first HAL cruise, and we are certainly excited. :)

Hi

A nice canvass satchel will appear in your cabin the afternoon for your first port of call. It is great for beach towel, etc. Or for shopping items.

Hope you don't need it, but sea-sick pills are available gratis from the purser.

Free champagne at art auctions -- this will be announced in the Daily Program. By the way, HAL is refreshingly practical in that regard, the daily newsletter does not have a fancy name, it is simply the Daily Program. Your ship's ID is called, --- wait --- Ship's ID!

IF Java Corner exists on the ship, and is open, great!!. But they are converting the Java Corner to fee for service coffee bars.

FREE mens' shoe shine. Just put your shoes in the basket found in the closet, fill out the name/number slip, and leave on your bed. Will magically disappear and return within hours.

I found the steaming pressing (for a fee) to be reasonably priced. It was great for knocking the wrinkles out of dinner jacket from traveling.

Someone mentioned the $10 first night at the Pinnacle Grill. This promotion has ended. I did love it.

Another secret is that the food at the Lido is just as good as the in the dinning room. They also do table cloths and candles for dinner. It is like an alternate restaurant without a surcharge.

Their new linens, soap and shampoo are wonderful.

I agree that the 'High Tea' is superb.

Cloth hand towels in the public restrooms.

The Baked Alaska Parade.

The Indonesian farewell song, sung by the dining room staff on the last night.

Room service breakfast is better than what we found in the Lido or dining room. Eggs are hotter and fresher, and the pastries are warm (and you don't have to search for a table or wait for refills on your coffee!).

Hi

A nice canvass satchel will appear in your cabin the afternoon for your first port of call. It is great for beach towel, etc. Or for shopping items.

Is this canvass bag something you return to them, or is it a souvenir?

I love this thread! So much information that I didn't know prior to reading it here...

I am beginning to think I will never get off this ship and return home! :)

The Indonesian farewell song, sung by the dining room staff on the last night.

That has always made me feel like I did on the last night of camp when I was a kid...sad that it was ending, but anticipating the next time!

Re the complimentary bathrobes - presume they are terrycloth like the towels? Are they changed during the cruise?

The robes are terry-lined waffle weave robes, and they are not changed during the cruise, though I'm sure if you spilled coffee or whatever on it, the steward would bring a clean one.

OMG... this thread is almost two years old - I pulled it up because I saw the thread was posted by Orcrone, who hasn't posted here in awhile and thought he might be back....

I can't believe this is still "living" LOL :)

If anyone has heard from Marc, I'd love to find out how he has been... I miss him.

Is this canvass bag something you return to them, or is it a souvenir?

:)

You get to keep them:)

The Indonesian farewell song by the dining room staff is always a really nice ending to a cruise! Here are the words and translation if anyone is interested:

Gelang sepaku gelang

Gelang sirama rama

Gelang sepaku gelang

Gelang sirama rama

Mari pulang marilah pulang

Marilah pulang ber sama sama

Goodbye, Goodbye

Let's say goodbye together

Goodbye, Goodbye

'Till we meet again

Let's go home, Let's go home

Let's go home together

Let's go home together

You get to keep them:)

The Indonesian farewell song by the dining room staff is always a really nice ending to a cruise! Here are the words and translation if anyone is interested:

Gelang sepaku gelang

Gelang sirama rama

Gelang sepaku gelang

Gelang sirama rama

Goodbye, Goodbye

Let's say goodbye together

Goodbye, Goodbye

'Till we meet again

Let's go home together

Let's go home together

I'm beginning to think I won't want to go home (after the cruise)! :)

Thanks for the info on the tote bag....

I just read this entire thread, and I'm very impressed! I was a totally loyal Disney cruiser, but as they don't do Alaska, I decided I Had to do something else. Like I said, I'm impressed... Thanks for putting this thread together so those of us new to HAL can be prepared and happy!

61 days and counting!!!!!

Nope, I was in the Corps a while back (76-80) Give my best to your dad! Semper Fi!

I just saw this ..oops. I will tell him. He was still in then as well. He did 20 years. We were in 29 Palms, Pendelton, he was in Okinawa, Philippines (sp) and Coronado during that time. Semper Fi.

I will check out e-bay. Thanks for the tips.

You can order from the restaurant menu for room service.

Everyone in an outside gets a robe.

The best standard bathrooms afloat.

So if you are in an inside cabin you don't get the fluffy robe? :confused:

I have only been on one cruise 1-13-05 Ryndam and have lots of questions also, so thanks to all of you for your wonderful information

Next cruise with my husband (a first timer) 5-14-06 E. Med cruise