HAL secrets

Orcrone

Martini of the Day in the Crow's Nest every evening before dinner, along with the hors d'oeuvres as mentioned. Chocolates in the Explorer's Lounge after dinner while relaxing to the string quartet or whatever classical group is performing on your cruise.

My husband isn't very formal but has a nice dark suite for Formal night. He doesn't want to bring another jacket, can he get away with slacks, shirt and tie for in-formal night or should I make him drag the second jacket. Your opiniojs would be greatfully appreciated. :)

Susie

I'll be on my third HAL cruise in a few weeks. I've always worn my tux on both formal nights and then wear a nice shirt, tie and slacks on informal nights with no concern about being underdressed. In my limited experience I have found that others even skip the tie but maybe wear a jacket.

Now with all this information out there, there are no "Hal Secrets" left. It is all public knowledge. However, if you are in Curacau, *** your ship leaves at midnight, I would advise against being up on the sky deck *** making out. You see as the ship leaves Willemstedt at midnight there is a fire-works display *** many go to the sky deck for a good view. Those who are "making out" might be more than a little embarassed.

On a recently completed Ryndam cruise, I discovered two new items. First, the Bread Pudding (not new), but add a scoop of ice cream (vanilla or coconut) on top; second, the Spanish Coffee in the evening in the Explorers Lounge.

I assume there are 2 formal nights on a 7 day HAL cruise?

Are the other nights considered:

Semi-formal?

Smart Casual?

(golf shirt and khakis for men will suffice?)

Shows and times on the Westerdam -- approx 8:30 & 10:30?

Room Service for OV cabins? Full menu? Write in orders? Only a few items?

I'm accustomed to Princess, so what should I do differently on HAL??

Thanks for the info! We just booked short-term and leave April 2 - can't wait!:)

I have a rather specific question...I was thrilled to find on our first Royal Caribbean cruise (Vision of the Seas) that the showers had a hand-held Shower-Pik like head. We will be on the Masdaam (May13) and wondered if she has that type of shower head.

Thanks for the info!

We've been on many cruise lines, but never HAL. This thread has me sold!

I have a couple of questions, are the Reidel wineglasses used in the dining room, or just the alternative restaurant? A good wine glass can make even cheap wine taste better~really!

Does HAL make petite fours? My mom loves them.

That's funny about making out on the sky deck...On our last Christmas cruise on the Zaandam we found 2 pieces or irrefutable evidence of romantic interlude up there among the deck chairs. One morning we went up to the deck, the one most high and most far forward, (is that the sky deck?), and there they were, lying on the deck, crumpled and spent. (Not the people, but their, shall we say... devices) Along side these two somewhat unpleasant used and discarded items was the name tag of a crew member! O-la-la! :confused: :p

This thread is so fantastic!

One thing about HAL that I love is the wonderful abundance of flowers everywhere--even fresh orchids on tables in Lido Buffet.

I also love that when you order champagne in the bar, you get a small bottle of the bubbly!:)

AND....

If it's your birthday--ask the waiters to sing "Happy Birthday" in Indonesian--it's beautiful. (My daughter's an opera singer and she was delighted as they sang to her--the photo taken of her as they sang captured a beautiful moment.)

• 3 weeks later...
We enjoyed the warm chocolate chip cookies that were served in the Lido every afternoon. A couple of warm cookies and a scoop of ice cream and you are set.

We found they kept the desserts left over from lunch out almost all afternoon for snacking at the Lido. They kept them cool, don't worry, but it was quite nice. :p

I have a rather specific question...I was thrilled to find on our first Royal Caribbean cruise (Vision of the Seas) that the showers had a hand-held Shower-Pik like head. We will be on the Masdaam (May13) and wondered if she has that type of shower head.

Thanks for the info!

Yes, all the rooms with showers have hand held devices.

The Sky Deck, at night, is a good make-out spot, as there seldom is anyone there -- and, if there is, it's too dark to see what's going on

You forgot the security camera's, we loved your video:p

We've cruised on several line's only once on HAL 20+ year's ago. At that time the crowd was bit to mature for us LOL

Now that we are in the "mature" crowd we were trying to decide between trying RCL or HAL - normally we cruise with Princess and love them.

However, after reading the past 11 pages of this thread we're hooked on HAL.

We're thinking of the Veendam, Westerdam or the Zuiderdam for the fall.

Which is your favorite and why?

Are all S class suites created equal???

Are the amentites the same for all S class suites?

We are platinum level on Princess do you know if there are any priviledges that are extened with HAL being they are all part of the VIP program?

THANKS everyone

What a FABULOUS job of sharing your tips on HAL.

They should give you all a discount.

The S suites on the Zuiderdam and Westerdam (both Vista class ships) are smaller than on the Veendam and other S and R class ships. There are many more S suites on the Vista ships, but while the Vista ships are bigger they have many more suites not only because of their size but because the suites themselves are smaller.

We much prefer the S and R class mid-sized ships and also prefer the larger S suites on them. An S suite is a terrific way to cruise, both for the size of the suite and balcony, and for the amenities which are only available to S suite pax and the PS (penthouse). And yes, the amenities are the same for all S Deluxe Verandah Suites, but do not be fooled when HAL calls other categories 'suites'. Read carefully. Only the PS, SA, SB, and SC suites get the amenities.

You got it- it's confusing and I often wonder if that is intentional. Many posters here think they are getting the amenities with every cabin called a 'suite'. Since people who read these boards are a lot more educated as to these categories than the normal new pax who doesn't read online, I can imagine how many get on the ship and think they are getting perks that they are not.

The SS category is only on the Vista class ships and the cabin is larger than the A and B 'mini-suites' on the mid-sized ships (such as Veendam). We have not been in one, but I know many here who have have been very happy.

We loved the Veendam, by the way. ;)

I have been on the Westerdam in an SS. The room, the balcony and the bathroom are all really nice. If you don't need the concierge and other added amenities, the SS is a great value for the money. I wish HAL could come up with less confusing terminology, because some folks have gotten less than they expected. However, when you see a huge price difference it normally indicates something. We paid only a few hundred dollars over the rate for a standard balcony and got an SS and would be very happy to do so again.