What do you wish you'd packed?

Phishface

Packing list

Address list of folks you want to send postcards or gifts to

Better yet, pre-print everyone address on a page of computer label paper. Then you just peel off the label and put it on the postcards! Also I bring a book a post card stamps with me so I don't have to search for postage and don't have to go to the pursers desk.

I am a habitual overpacker. We are leaving Wednesday for southbound and I have been checking the weather - it will probably be pretty cool the whole trip. DH and I have 4 full suitcases - by the time you pack dress clothes, dress shoes, tennis shoes, hiking shoes, jeans, and tops to layer it doesn't leave much room for a lot of extras. How do people do it????:)

That's what I'm wondering! We're considering an Alaska cruise for next summer - all of our previous cruises were on warm weather itineraries - and we cannot image how we can possibly have enough room in the allowed "2 checked bags per person" airline limit to carry all those warm clothes. I guess we could pack light and use the ship's laundry.... :confused:

It's even more fun when you do a cruisetour, because if you do the tour first, at your first city they take the suitcases for the cruise and you don't see them again until you board. So you have to pack half your suitcases for the land portion and half your suitcases for the cruise portion. Which I'm doing as we speak. And tearing my hair out.

That's what I'm wondering! We're considering an Alaska cruise for next summer - all of our previous cruises were on warm weather itineraries - and we cannot image how we can possibly have enough room in the allowed "2 checked bags per person" airline limit to carry all those warm clothes. I guess we could pack light and use the ship's laundry.... :confused:
i'm using space bags. i've used them before and they have worked great for saving space in the suitcase.

i'm using space bags. i've used them before and they have worked great for saving space in the suitcase.

Space bags sounded like a good solution to my packing problems also, but I still have not decided whether to use them or not. The problem is that if they are in the checked luggage and the TSA decides to open them during inspection, I have been told that they do not repack them as they found them. They just stuff everything (or try to!) back in the luggage and too bad for wrinkles or other problems.:mad: I do not know what happens if they can't get everything back in, but I am sure that I will not be happy with what they chose to leave out! I am still considering possibly using the space bags for my carry on then at least I could be the one to repack everything.:( Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Bruce

Thanks for all the great suggestionsl I leave in 25 days. :) Instead of space bags I use assorted sized plastic bags. It really organizes the suitcase and makes it very easy for baggage checkers. I also kind of burp the air out and these zip lock, plastic bags really do help save room also. Robin:cool:

Space bags sounded like a good solution to my packing problems also, but I still have not decided whether to use them or not. The problem is that if they are in the checked luggage and the TSA decides to open them during inspection, I have been told that they do not repack them as they found them. They just stuff everything (or try to!) back in the luggage and too bad for wrinkles or other problems.:mad: I do not know what happens if they can't get everything back in, but I am sure that I will not be happy with what they chose to leave out! I am still considering possibly using the space bags for my carry on then at least I could be the one to repack everything.:( Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Bruce

Hey Bruce. Thanks for the heads-up. I've not had that problem before, but good to know. Thanks. :)

What are polar bear smooches???:D :D :D

Well...........aside from the obvious, (a lick on the face by a friendly Polar Bear! :p )..........they are wonderful peppermint chocolate candies. Go almost to the end of the page on this link and you will find them. http://www.great-alaska-seafood.com/giftpacks.htm

Well...........aside from the obvious, (a lick on the face by a friendly Polar Bear! :p )..........they are wonderful peppermint chocolate candies. Go almost to the end of the page on this link and you will find them. http://www.great-alaska-seafood.com/giftpacks.htm

Guess I will be buying some of those if I see them - yummy:D

Bruce

I'm not sure what your concern is. If TSA opens your luggage. they will inspect things and stuff everything right back into the case--it won't matter if something was in a space bag or not. Either way, things will get wrinkled or whatever. What's the difference?

Wished I hadn't packed:

As many warm clothes (long sleeves, long pants). Weather our week (July 1st southbound) was surprisingly warm. Could have used more shorts and short sleeves.

Clothing is a tough one to comment on. A different week could have given a completely different answer.

I went scuba diving in Ketchikan, and didn't need to bring as much gear as I did. Could have left most of it home and arranged for gear as part of my diving. Much lighter that way.

Wished I had packed:

My old non-digital 210mm SLR camera. The processor for my digital camera was slow enough that it made wildlife photography (eg whalewatching) difficult. Eventually, I did figure out that if I pressed the button when I saw the humpback's fin, then I usually got a decent shot of the flukes in the air (nearly a one second delay). A faster camera would have made things so much easier.

When it comes time to replace this digital camera, speed is going to up there on the priority list.

Wow these are the best ideas yet!! I am thinking of copying some of your suggestions onto a fact sheet!! I can't believe it.. I did not think of some of them and they were soooo very common sense! Thank you every one!!!

I do use the zip locs for my clothes and press out the air. and since I never put more than one article per bag, they have never had to open them. I clean, press with Lavender or Bergomont oils and line with wrapping tissue and they stay wrinkle free the entire time!! and the bags are labeled as to just what is inside! helps to make sure nothing is missing when repacking too! and no dirty laundry ever mixes with clean. the tissue I use for packing those souvenirs like the ships mugs ..later.. and I agree, I tend to buy more clothes ie: sweatshirts and the like .. and don't pack more than one. and I really enjoy them afterwards. all my wonderful cruise mem's are usually in the clothes .. the mugs and the pix!

oopps I forgot... as to the zippies. i have this fav perfume Marc Jacobs..and I had it in my checked. and it is an aerosol ( did i miss spell that ? sorry) and it sprayed all over.. emptying out almost the whole bottle .. egads.. tho I do like it .. my suitcase was a bit tooo gardenia for even me.. and I had none for me :( I now put all perfumes in a zippie! go figure

as to the camera.. wow good idea. I always went for the pixel/zoom thing .. speed. you are right.. that one second delay really ycs. but I will take your advise and be "ready" !

and to the wonderful cruiser who bought t shirts from the Helicopter excursion. man .. that must have been fantastic and what a great gift!!

well,

Its been great and soo many ideas to try to remember for Dec.. great every one.. thank you, from me, at least...:D

Do these come individually wrapped or are they just in a tray like cookies?

This might be a good treat to bring back to those I left behind doing my work!! (Can I get away with just bringing them one individually wrapped one or do I have to bring each one a whole box?):eek:

Thanks for helping me plan ahead!!

Do these come individually wrapped or are they just in a tray like cookies?

This might be a good treat to bring back to those I left behind doing my work!! (Can I get away with just bringing them one individually wrapped one or do I have to bring each one a whole box?):eek:

Thanks for helping me plan ahead!!

Guess a whole box would go down better if they are so good:D :D

Sadly, when it comes to taking credit for doing work--everybody seems to line up---21 boxes vs 3 boxes (if they are individually wrapped) is quite a chunk of change not to mention space in my suitcase---

Does anyone know for sure???

Question; and pardon my ignorance on this .. but with the news lately.. what CAN you pack??

We won't be leaving on an airplane till Dec so I am hoping things on the homefront will be better... but for now.. I keep hearing conflicting info regarding what can or not be in the carry on? If you can actually carry something on? and what or not can go in the suitcase.:confused:

I love my own shampoo, my own soap.. my own mouthwash. And I don't have the finances to buy new every place I go. I economize constantly so I MAY cruise. I am one of those people who buy the plastic bottles at CVS and fill with shampoo from my large economy size bottles. etc.;)

I hope I don't get flamed for this or removed, but I really don't know what the new "limits" are in packing to travel via plane.

Thank you to all of those who respond in kindness and understanding!:D

blue

I'd advise that you check your luggage. This is heretical from a person who loves to travel via carry-on. Especially one who understands the luggage wait at SEATAC (seattle) airport is a nightmare wait of at least half an hour. However, if you want to retain shampoo and conditioner, you're going to need to check it. Otherwise, you can possibly invest in solid shampoo and conditioner (check out this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=589236 on flyertalk and the forum above it for some hints on what gets through and what doesn't).

Shampoo and conditioner (even the luxury kind I love) doesn't cost all that much (once again, I get the really expensive stuff from salons and department stores). In comparison to a few cocktails, it really doesn't cost too much to replace just shampoo, conditioner, and toothpaste. Makeup and facial care, now, that's a different story. Even if you could replace it on a cruise ship (unlikely that the duty free shop will carry the exact items you use) it would cost a small fortune. A small fortune that could be applied to a very nice excursion.

Archived