Train service from St Gallen Switzerland to Vienna

asber

My wife & I would like information about overnight train service (with sleeping cars if possible) between St Gallen in eastern Switzerland & Vienna for May of 2007.

Can anyone advise us about schedules & fares, 1st & 2nd class?

My wife & I would like information about overnight train service (with sleeping cars if possible) between St Gallen in eastern Switzerland & Vienna for May of 2007.

Can anyone advise us about schedules & fares, 1st & 2nd class?

Your best search tools are probably the English side of www.bahn.de and the English side of the SBB (Schweizerische Bundesbahnen) site.

These suggest the following night trains for this season:-

St. Gallen dep 19:19 EC 197 EuroCity, RE

München Hbf arr 22:44

München Hbf dep 23:44 EN 269 EuroNight,

Wien Westbahnhof 16.09.06 arr 06:02

Duration: 10:43; runs daily

St. Gallen dep 22:21 S 23095 Urban railway

Buchs SG arr 23:24

Buchs SG 16.09.06 dep 00:02 EN 467 EuroNight WIENER WALZER,

Wien Westbahnhof arr 08:03

Duration: 9:42; runs daily

The May 2007 timetable won't be available for many months yet.

Wouldnot it be easier for you to take a train from St. Gallen to Zurich and fly from there?

Take the train. It will be much more memorable than a flight. No security hassles, no metal detectors, no baggage check, no hotel bill for one night, no shuttle from the airport to the city center. You might even get some sleep. A train compartment sounds perfect to me.

Take the train. It will be much more memorable than a flight. No security hassles, no metal detectors, no baggage check, no hotel bill for one night, no shuttle from the airport to the city center. You might even get some sleep. A train compartment sounds perfect to me.

If you take a nighttrain, there isnot much to see.....

Besides they have to change trains at least once. Hardly any or even none porters on the stations, it will be do-it-yourself..

Most probably no private bathroom in the train. Maybe - depending on the trains and class - no private compartment unless you travel 1st class. No meals included etc.

Ine says: "If you take a nighttrain, there isnot much to see....."

I will assume you have done some Swiss sightseeing if you are leaving from St. Gallen.

Ine continues: "Besides they have to change trains at least once."

It's one hour into the journey at Buchs with 30 minutes for the change.

Ine: "Hardly any or even none porters on the stations, it will be do-it-yourself.."

I am guessing OP has an idea of what travel on trains involves. I carry my own bags on trains and planes.

Ine guesses: "Most probably no private bathroom in the train. Maybe - depending on the trains and class - no private compartment unless you travel 1st class. No meals included etc."

I quote from http://www.sbb.ch/en/ "EuroNight Wiener Walzer/Zürichsee. The EuroNight Wiener Walzer/Zürichsee is a modern night train offering a service to Vienna and Budapest every night. You can yourself determine the travel comfort and can choose between the different categories Deluxe (with shower/WC, welcome drink and terry cloth linen), Economy, couchette berths or reclining seats. The EuroNight Wiener Walzer/Zürichsee additionally has a dining car. And in the sleeping cars, a breakfast is served."

There is a certain aura to named trains like the Wiener Walzer. My first European train trip was on the Orient Express (quite seedy in 1973 in second class). Take the train. Enjoy the adventure. I wish I could go along.

I have travelled a lot through Europe on trains (also nighttrains) and planes.

It may sound romantic and some trains have nice names, but for a comfortable journey one has to pay a price.

Travelling 1st class gives some private facilities and there may be a diningcar on the train, but no meals are included.

For people with much luggage it can be a struggle to go from one platform to the other, put the luggage in and out the train etc.

To me...no doubt, a flight of 1hr and 20 minutes...also since there are trains with direct connections from St.Gallen to Zurich airport.

My thanks to Globalizer, Ine & Whogo for your replies to my appeal for information.

We are familiar with the area (my wife was born in Vienna & grew up in St Gallen & we have traveled widely through the area, but not by rail since 1985!)

We much prefer rail to air transport- given what the latter has become & will probably take the rail-sleeper.

I checked air fares Zurich to Vienna & they are outrageous. Considering as well the savings of 1 night's hotel bill we are probably better off financially as well.

Again, many thanks.

Archived