Staying overnight in Miami??

jamaica71594

I am trying to decide if we should stay overnight in Miami before the cruise. I have found really good airline prices, as well as hotel deals. However, my TA suggested that we book a early am flight to Miami, and even if we arrive before noon, it will give us plenty of time to retrieve our luggage, transfer to the pier and we may get lucky and be able to board by lunch time. Our ship sails at 5pm.

With so many airline changes and delays, I am not sure what to do. We are only 2.5 hours from Miami by air. Expedia has good flight/hotel deals and if we stay overnight, it would give us a chance to have a nice dinner and do some shopping in Miami, or maybe even a tour.

any suggestions??;)

Thanks

Most people here will tell you to fly in the day early, and that's certainly good advice. I think you have to assess 3 things:

+ What time of year are you flying? If it's winter, and you are flying from a cold-weather place, you may want to fly in a day early. You could make the same argument if it's summer and thunderstorms are common along your path.

+ Are you taking a connecting flight? This increases your chance of delays.

+ What is your departure airport? If it's a small city, and there are few options if your flight is delayed, canceled or whatever, then flying in early is something to think about.

Any combination of these things would probably mean go early for sure.

The first time we cruised out of Miami, we took a red eye (from LA) and got to Miami by 10am. We thought this would be plenty of time. Well it was but we were so dang tired that the first night was pretty much a waste. This time, we are flying in the day before, so we can relax and be well rested for the fun to start the following day. I would recommend this for anyone that is at least flying in from some distance away. Even if you are not, what a nice way to start your vacation by a relaxing day or evening in a hotel before you take off.

No doubt, fly in the day before. My past TA's had always just booked us flights on the day of and I always felt like we were rushing to get onboard. And everyone in our party was just in a foul mood because of it. Then I started flying in the day (and in one case, the week before to go to Disney) and it is just a much more relaxing experience.

You wake up in the morning, have some breakfast and then leisurly make your way over to the ship.

For the two times we didn't do it, we were just racing from airport to transfers to ship. Not a great way to start off a vacation.

I am trying to decide if we should stay overnight in Miami before the cruise. I have found really good airline prices, as well as hotel deals. However, my TA suggested that we book a early am flight to Miami, and even if we arrive before noon, it will give us plenty of time to retrieve our luggage, transfer to the pier and we may get lucky and be able to board by lunch time. Our ship sails at 5pm.

With so many airline changes and delays, I am not sure what to do. We are only 2.5 hours from Miami by air. Expedia has good flight/hotel deals and if we stay overnight, it would give us a chance to have a nice dinner and do some shopping in Miami, or maybe even a tour.

any suggestions??;)

Thanks

I'd be interested to know your TA's reasoning since you have listed several very good reasons to fly in the day before (low airfare and good hotel deals, time to tour or shop). Flying in the day of the cruise only adds to the possible stress even if flying conditions are ideal. You will need to be up early to get to the airport hours before you catch your flight and will arrive at the ship, even if it is well before sailing time, less relaxed and rested. Flying to Miami a day early probably increases your flight options and will allow you to catch something besides an early morning flight and staying at a Miami hotel the night before allows you to get a good night's rest, have a leisurely breakfast, and get to the ship when boarding begins. In my mind it adds almost a full day to my vacation. The only added cost by doing it your way rather than following your TA's suggestion is the hotel room and any meals you will have in Miami. IMHO those are a small price to pay compared to the advantages. I'd go back to your TA and ask him or her to elaborate on the reasons for the recommendation.:)

Go a day early, don't even consider taking the chance and putting your great vacation at risk. If flights are high into Miami fly into Ft. Lauderdale and shuttle to Miami. The Holiday Inn at the Port of Miami is a great place, right across from Bayside Market, you can go to your room, relax, walk across the street to the Bayside and have dinner. In the late afternoon you can watch the cruise ships depart from your hotel room. How can you beat that! Enjoy!

Bad advice from the TA IMHO. Too many things can happen when one has to fly. The plane could have problems and with today's security issues, one little problem can shut an airport down. I cannot even believe that the TA made this comment. Fly down the day before and relax. I love Miami for a precruise. Gets those cruise juices flowing.:)

Hey there,

I work for an airline and I always travel the day before a cruise. You never know what kinds of delays your airline might have. In both summer and winter there are weather delays. Summer there's alot of thunder storms and winter you have snow delays. Then there is always the chance that you bags will be delayed. To me it's just not worth the worry wondering if I am going to make it to the pier in time.

Even if it's not me traveling when the flight cancels. I always feel bad when the people ask me how they are going to make it to the pier on time. I always say didja atleast buy cruise insurance....if your going to fly in the same day of the cruise I would buy cruise insurance. Especially if you don't have a direct flight. Some of the smaller connection cities don't have that many options. Since most airlines have scaled back their service and flights are usually over booked.

Hope this helps,

Shan9700:)

Hi,

I recently posted the same question and the responses were overwhelmingly in favor of going a day early. We will be flying from NY to Miami and we have decided to take the boards advice and arrive the day before. I don't want to take any chances and feel there will be less stress not worrying about the what ifs.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions

I think we will go with the overnight in Miami. The ship sails on Monday 4/23, so we can leave for Miami on Sunday. Hopefully I can get us a early flight that will give us time to unwind, and have a nice leisurely afternoon in Miami. I found a great deal on Expedia for $216.00 per person; that includes air and hotel with free shuttle to the port. On return home we will not do the overnight.

If you are flying I always advise flying in the day before. And even if you are driving, accidents and construction can really delay you.

I am a TA and had clients not take my advice. They figured they had a 7AM flight out of Newark and the ship didn't depart until 5PM from Miami, they were traveling in summer, and it just didn't seem necessary to go down the day before. It turns out that their first-flight-in-the-morning got canceled because of bad summer weather, they had to go to another area airport, and that flight sat on the runway due to backups. The ship knew they and some others were coming (they had booked their air independent from the cruise but still called the cruise line the day of travel) and they made it aboard about 10 minutes prior to sailing.

On our last cruise fellow passengers drove what they thought would only take about 4-5 hours, and made it with about 1/2 an hour to spare due to road accidents and getting lost. (it was the first time they had driven to the port.)

In addition to giving yourself plenty of time you always start the cruise refreshed. You can arrive early and be one of the first onboard to explore your new home and get settled in. It makes your entire first day go smoothly and you can enjoy it.

We've done both. We live in Atlanta and in the past have caught a 7:00am flight to MIA (flights from ATL to MIA are under 2 hours) and then just took a cab to the port. We've also flown in the night before. We're going on a cruise out of Miami the beginning of October and haven't decided yet. We're leaning toward going the day before just for the reasons everybody above have mentioned.

Tim

I would suggest going the day prior to your cruise esp. considering weather, and airline delays. We have stayed numerous times at Holiday Inn Port of Miami. Right across from Bayside downtown. You can see the cruise ships docked, from your room, and only minutes away from hotel.

You can also beat the rush and get on the ship early. Got onto the ship our last cruise at around 10:30AM last time we sailed on AOS. This can vary depending how fast they disembark from the ship.

Enjoy-------------

My opinion on this matter has always been to fly in a day early. That is not to say I don't understand the reasons many people fly in the day of a cruise.

With that being said; I wanted to supply you with a link that I think I shall provide whenever this question is asked on these boards. If you take the time to read all the way through (it is a long thread) you will understand. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=391074

Happy Cruising

I'm not sure why some are so critical of the TA's advice; it's perfectly appropriate. There are 1000s of people who fly into MIA every week on the day of their cruise and board with no problem. Of the 20 or so cruises I've sailed from MIA, I only came remotely close to missing once - and that was due to an accident on 95 in CT on the way to LGA.

Does flying in early provide an extra level of comfort and security? Yes. Are there certain circumstance in which I would always fly in early? Yes (see previous post). But is it bad advice to tell someone they can make their MIA cruise by booking an early flight? Don't think so...

Does flying in early provide an extra level of comfort and security? Yes. Are there certain circumstance in which I would always fly in early? Yes (see previous post). But is it bad advice to tell someone they can make their MIA cruise by booking an early flight? Don't think so...

I agree, it is NOT bad advice. There are many more people who fly in the day of, rather than the day early and stories of missed cruises are not that numerous. For me it is the less stress issue, and the cost of a hotel for a night... Well as Mastercard says; it's... Priceless

I did ask my TA why did she recommend that we take an early flight instead of staying over, and she said that although she has left a day early for her cruises and it worked out well, she has also left the day of leaving on an early AM flight arriving at the ship 3-4 hours ahead of time with no problems. THe chances of our plane being delayed are lesser but still possbile,however, she said the earlier our flight the better, at least it allows room for delays.

But she did say she recommends overnight stays to her clients only if they want to extend their vacation, or if they cannot get early AM flights from their airports.

Bottom line; She highly recommends staying overnight, if you cannot arrive at your port at least 3-4 hours ahead of sail time.

We are probably going to stay overnight, but more so to enjoy a day in Miami!

P.S. We are flying from Philly, which is about a 2.5 hour flight. It should leave plenty of time to enjoy Miami, if we can arrive by Noon.

We fly out of Boston and always fly in early. So much more relaxed the next day when we board, usually before lunch time. After almost nmissing our first cruise due to air line equipment problems in '88 I just can't see taking the chance. By the time we rushed to get our luggage and get onboard our whole first day was gone and DH was stressed beyond imagine. Yes you can do it the same day but leavong the day before really makes it a 7 day cruise and not 6 1/2.

P.S. We are flying from Philly, which is about a 2.5 hour flight. It should leave plenty of time to enjoy Miami, if we can arrive by Noon.

I lived in Philly for 8 years and have flown from there to MIA for a cruise many times. Early departures are the key to PHL, as it is a smaller airport where air traffic congested easily, along with the security lines. You can get some fog off the river in the early mornings, but that depends more on the time of year and doesn't slow things down too much. I always had very good luck on AA, both in terms of prices and timeliness. Good luck!

Archived