Hotel Zone

lab766

It all depends on what you are looking to do. If you want to be close to the night clubs then the area around the Convention Center, if you want peace and quiet then you may want to be away from that area. Public transportation is good so no worry about staying a mile away from the clubs if you want to go out at night.

The beaches are quite beautiful all over the place. The resorts around the night clubs area tent to be more noisy and more "party like". Further out can be more quiet.

You have to consider that the Resort type has much to do with the whole ambiance. You have high end resorts next to not so high and some in between. The higher end resorts tend to be more quiet with less families or less parting youngters.

Hope this helps.

thanks, that does help. I'm bringing my 20 & 16 year old sons, and my 20 year old will be coming home from Iraq so I promised him a trip. All he wants to do is drink since he will be legal there and look for "hot" girls.

thanks, that does help. I'm bringing my 20 & 16 year old sons, and my 20 year old will be coming home from Iraq so I promised him a trip. All he wants to do is drink since he will be legal there and look for "hot" girls.

I'd suggest that you look into an "ALL INCLUSIVE" property.

My pal and I just booked 7 nights at the OASIS PLAYA resort. About a grand per person, which includes airfare, transfers, insurance, 7 nights hotel and all of the food/booze you care to indulge in.

Check out http://www.tripadvisor.com for reviews on what's out there.

Have fun. Thank God that your son is coming home! :)

• 2 months later...
I'd suggest that you look into an "ALL INCLUSIVE" property.

My pal and I just booked 7 nights at the OASIS PLAYA resort. About a grand per person, which includes airfare, transfers, insurance, 7 nights hotel and all of the food/booze you care to indulge in.

Check out www.tripadvisor.com for reviews on what's out there.

Have fun. Thank God that your son is coming home! :)

NoNoNanette-When did you go to Oasis Playa? We were there in September! We could have been swimming together and not known it. :D

would be to chose to stay at one of the Royal resorts. They offer larger accomodations (2 bedroom, 2 bath, full American style kitchen, large patio, living room, etc.) for about $210 a night (renting from an owner, as these are timeshare units). The resorts are beautiful. They do not offer All inclusive, but you can make your own drinks in your kitchen and bring down to the pool or beach. They have a grocery store on site or you could spend the time to go to Walmart and stock up. Their website is http://www.royalresorts.com . (I would recommend the Royal Sands, the Royal Islander or the Royal Carribean, in that order). To rent from and owner check our www.mexicondo.com.

Michelle

P.S. If you have any other Cancun questions feel free to email me at maja651@yahoo.com. We have been going to Cancun for about 8 years now, 2 times a year, so I know the area very well.

• 1 month later...

We swapped a Fl. Marriot week for a week at the Royal Caribbean the first week in Dec. Let me second the previous poster, the Royal complex is terrific and if you stay in one you have access to all the facilities of the other two. All are interconnected with covered walkways.

The Captain's Cove re-opened the week we were there and since it is owned by Royal, we got a 20% discount. Las Islas shopping plaza has been rebuilt. It would be hard to tell that a major hurricane blew through 12 months ago. The two stooges running Louisiana and the City of New Orleans should come here and see how efficient a rebuilding process can be (and Schoolbus Ray is about to be re-elected:eek: ).

Very few car rentals, what with the high price of gas and the high cost of daily insurance. Everybody seems to take the local busses which swarm on the one road through the hotel zone.

Oh, and Royal has free shuttles to take you between their 5 properties.

• 2 months later...

Thinking about Cancun in April. I have stayed at the Sun Palace many years ago, I realize things have changed since hurricane Wilma. I would like to stay at the Palace Resorts again, just wondering what posters here would suggest, thinking of either Moon Palace or Cancun Palace. I welcome any suggestions and would like to hear of anyone's experiences with the Palace Resorts since they have re-opened.

Thanks.

Thinking about Cancun in April. I have stayed at the Sun Palace many years ago, I realize things have changed since hurricane Wilma. I would like to stay at the Palace Resorts again, just wondering what posters here would suggest, thinking of either Moon Palace or Cancun Palace. I welcome any suggestions and would like to hear of anyone's experiences with the Palace Resorts since they have re-opened.

Thanks.

I'll preface this by saying I've never stayed at either hotel, just know where they are from my travels to Cancun over many years. I have played golf at Moon palace and that's about it.

I'd say this would depend on if you want to do other things in Cancun. Sun Palace though on the outskirts is still within Cancun's Hotel Zone and serviced by the buses which run frequently (and quickly), 24/7 so this would be more convenient to venture outside the resort for shopping, dinning, clubbing, etc. Moon Palace is not considered part of Cancun, it's part of the emerging Rivieria Maya and therefore set a ways from things. However, if you are an avid golfer, Moon Palace hands down just to be right at that beautiful golf course.

BSQ, thank you so much, I have not stayed at the Moon Palace, but have been there, its a beautiful spot for sure. What about the Cancun Palace, if memory serves me right, that's within walking distance of being downtown, right?????

nooooo. Cancun Palace is on the looooooong side of the Cancun "7". It's not really walking distance to anything except a couple places to eat and other hotels. It's around KM14, Kulkulkan Mall is about 1.5KM up the road, La isla another KM beyond that. The "party zone" is at KM9-ish and downton is a little beyond KM1.

So, while you wouldn't be near all the action, you are a very short & cheap bus ride from everything.

Fiesta Americana Coral Beach is very nice and near the night clubs and one mall. We've stayed there a couple times and enjoyed it. Don't miss

Isla Mujeres. Go early and stay late via the ferry at Port Juarez.

Have fun.

• 2 years later...
H2Otstr question...

Can you tell me how far Mexcana and Senor Frogs was to the hotel, within walking distance? Any breakfast restaurants/food you'd recommend near by?

Most of these posts are over a year old, and not sure those folks are still checking this forum, so I'll jump in.

Sr. Frogs is walking distance, as is the rest of the "Party Zone." In that area area many places to eat as well. To be honest, I've never had a bad meal in Cancun ... here are some of our personal favorites:

BSQ's Cancun Eats

• 1 month later...
Most of these posts are over a year old, and not sure those folks are still checking this forum, so I'll jump in.

Sr. Frogs is walking distance, as is the rest of the "Party Zone." In that area area many places to eat as well. To be honest, I've never had a bad meal in Cancun ... here are some of our personal favorites:

BSQ's Cancun Eats

iagree.gif

Just returned from Cancun on Sunday and the food was all "good"...if you want less expensive, I would recommend going into Cancun city, away from the Hotel Zone.

Incidentally, I stayed at the end of the Hotel Zone closest to the airport and farthest from the "action" and a 20 minute bus ride costing only 15 pesos for two people put us in the middle of things. Dinner at La Destileria and Carlos and Charlie's won high points in service and food quality away from our hotel. cheers2.gif

Archived