Coffee pots in cabin??

P.A.

Several months ago I remember reading on these boards about someone bringing a particular kind of coffee pot with her on the cruise. My question is....does anyone know if that is allowed and if so, does anyone have suggestions on what kind to bring? Of course I know it has to be small and compact, but I want one that will keep my coffee hot! Suggestions??

I can not drink my coffee if is just warm. And by the time room service gets it to your cabin....forget it!

Thanks in advance! :)

Just got back from the Star in July. We had a 4-cup basic Black & Decker - no problem. Never kept the heater element on - just poured it into cups. Would have used the Pattisere, but they don't open till 7am - on this Baltics cruise we had to be up early! Hope this helps.

Several months ago I remember reading on these boards about someone bringing a particular kind of coffee pot with her on the cruise. My question is....does anyone know if that is allowed and if so, does anyone have suggestions on what kind to bring? Of course I know it has to be small and compact, but I want one that will keep my coffee hot! Suggestions??

I can not drink my coffee if is just warm. And by the time room service gets it to your cabin....forget it!

I did take a hot pot on my first cruise. I also had room service breakfast one day, and the coffee they brought was quite hot. I dont think I will take a pot on my next cruise, I imagine they will not be allowed because of the recent fire on the Star. In any case, the room service coffee will do for us. Karen

I may be the "her" to whom you refer. My trusty little one cup Melitta goes with me everywhere. It brews quickly, so that if hubby wants one immediately, he too is served. He makes a cup just before bedtime; sometimes decaf, sometimes not. I bring both.

Arlene

I have brought a coffee pot but they frown upon it. I now take a French Press and my own coffee grounds. I call room service for hot water. Less to lug and very convenient.

My wife and I also bring along a 4-cup dripper and home-ground coffee. Starting the day with good coffee is VERY important to us as well.

Princess has never given us a problem over it. In fact, as soon as the steward sees the coffee pot he/she asks what we want to go with it and, starting the next day, we've got a full set-up of ceramic cups, sugar, cream, spoons... etc. Once we ran out of coffee halfway through a long voyage and our steward brought us a supply of gourmet grounds from the kitchen for the duration.

Bill

I travel with a 4 cup Farberware eletric drip. It is small and light.Just remember that most of the trash cans in the cabin are not lined and you should bring baggies to throw out the coffee grinds or it could get messy.

Talking about coffee... I bought this pot for our last Princess cruise 3 years ago... Since then ever other cruise line I have been on I found the room service coffee not bad and did not use it... I still do remember how much I disliked the coffee on Princess... I wonder if this has changed any... Would prefer to leave the coffeepot home.

• 2 weeks later...

After all your helpful suggestions, I decided what I was going to do. I was ready to purchase the heating coil that was mentioned on here. My sister, who also has to have her coffee hot, is now going with us on our cruise. She informed me that she has a 2-8 cup Faberware electric percolator that she always travels with. So I went and bought the exact one and used it today, and it does make a HOT pot of coffee! I was so excited! Then my husband informs me that it is 1000 watts! Yikes! He's wondering if it will kick a breaker when I go to turning that thing on.

Does anyone know the limit of wattage on the outlets there in the cabins? I will be so disppointed if I can't take it. And I've heard rumor now that Princess is wanting to charge for coffee??? Anyone heard about this?

Please give me some good news!

Glad you found your answer. The heating coil things that heat up a cup are definitely not permitted onboard. They made this statement on our last cruise. Any type of heating appliance MUST have a thermostat. So, for those that say certain types of coffee makers are not permitted, you are correct. Buf if they have a thermostat to shut them off, then they are.

That is the one great thing about P&O cruises (just look at the pictures of their cabins on their websites to confirm) and the Sea Princess. All cabins on P&O come with a hot pot and coffee and tea making facilities in each cabin, on the Sea Princess they have them, but only in the suites and mini suites. Carry over from P&O Australia I guess.

Yep, need that good cup of coffee to start the day. It is a must!

I just received my "Cuisinart TTG-500", it will brew two 14oz cups (insulated travel mugs) at the same time for our upcoming B2B cruise. I'll bring along two pounds of Dunkin Donuts coffee and lean on the steward for either some half & half or milk and cream. Can't imagine not having a cup of good coffee when I need it....ten or twelve times a day :) And I'll still probably buy a coffee card to....lol. Seeing as how I'll be on the ship for two weeks, I'm sure I'll be able to take advantage of the card just in brewed Blue Mountain they serve on the Crown.

We always bring our own 4-5 cup Black & Decker w/auto shut-off, a 1lb bag of Starbucks bold Italian Blend and man there's nothing in the world like it !!!!!!!!!

What a way to start a cruise morning on your balcony.........

CIAO,

Actually the heating coil I bought from a travel specialty store has a built in thermostat that PERMANENTLY disables the device if it exceeds the allowable temp. I use it only for hotel stays because the cruise line rules as you correctly mention do not allow "heating coils". /Sultan

Glad you found your answer. The heating coil things that heat up a cup are definitely not permitted onboard. They made this statement on our last cruise. Any type of heating appliance MUST have a thermostat.

me you remember - we have a Cuisinart 4 cup compact coffee maker with a stainless steel carafe and auto shut off. Love it - packs small & light, works great. ~$30USD @ Amazon, available many places.

I love the idea of the stainless steel carafe, that way it could be packed in the luggage and not have to be carried on. But, we normally leave ours for our room steward, and that could get a bit expensive leaving them each time. With 3-4 cruises a year. But it is a great looking coffee maker to take along, no chance of the carafe getting broken. Might have to think on this one a bit. Thanks!

Archived