Hello from Westerdam from a newbie

karen2cruz

Hi all-

Finally we are aboard one of these "dam" ships you guys have been talking about. My 18 yr old son and I give it a big thumbs up for beauty.

He is a little bored still trying to find others his age, since he has no teen's program to go to. I am sure it will get better once we visit some ports.

Fast, easy check-in. Gorgeous day in Seattle for a sailaway. Mild seas on this sea day, no need for Bonine or anything else. Ship does rock, makes me sleepy.

Dining room food is very good, son got the steak and said it was tender. That's a first for cruise steak, unless we've gotten it in a Specialty restaurant.

Balcony room is a little small, for what I am use to and would probably get a SZ/SY or higher next time.

No DVD in regular balconys, FYI, at least not yet.

Gotta go -son wants on.

Karen

Glad to hear that HAL is meeting and or exceeding your expectations. I am sorry to hear about your son's predictament. It seems to me that most,if not all cruise lines fall short of creating an easy way for those 17-21, college -age, to meet.

When the kid does not have a sibling, it gets even harder to get out there. And on almost every cruise, you can be assured there are others in the same boat, so to speak, spending too much time in their cabins.

Perhaps the CD could be of help or allow him to join the high school group.

Yeah, it sucks.

Formal night tonight - best cruise food for regular dining. Couldnt decide the entree and so my son and I shared the Alaskan crab and each ordered another entree.

Son is doing the karaoke contest right now - brave boy!. We did the line dancing class and played the trivia game. He is starting to feel more comfortable now. Wants to go do the dancing after the karaoke.

Moderate seas with high winds - so they closed off the promenade. Walking is interesting. Not enough to make anyone seasick - maybe those people are in their cabins, but dining room looked full.

Interesting side note - although it was formal tonight the Daily Program said the Lido was casual clothes. Most everyone is staying nicely dressed after dinner, although that was not suggested in the daily program either.

Gotta go dancing now with my son.

Thanks for reporting in. It sounds like your son is warming up to things. I'll bet by the end of the cruise that it will be just as hard for him to leave as it will you.

I hope you both continue to have a great time.

Hi Karen:

Thanks for posting live:) I'm always impressed by the people who take the time and trouble to log in here during their cruises. I wish your son and my daughter could have been on the same cruise together. They would have enjoyed some ballroom/swing dancing. We also participated in the line dancing at the Crow's Nest on the Western/Country "theme" evening. Lots of fun! Talk about a good work out!

Hope your cruise just gets better and better,

Karin

Hi

Winds calmed down from last night. Guess it was bad for some. Lots of people wearing the ear patches today. Also, at the second late show, a dancer got hurt.

Dance classes: there are four on this sailing- line, salsa, chacha and "ballroom" which could be anything (its the last one). Gotta work off the cruise food.

Great prizes for bingo and some sailmates enjoyed the blackjack and chipping contests.

Gym/spa: very nice facilities. Classes like pilates very reasonably priced compared to other lines. Son had a massage and I had the hot stones therapy/massage -aahhhh! No hard selling like on other lines.

Speaking of selling - photogs not in your face all the times like other lines and neither are the people with the soda cards. We really appreciate it. We have a really nice asst waiter that isnt even punching our soda card at dinner - he told us "not to worry about it". Talk about service.

My son has fallen in love with Holland America-heh heh - now he can talk his dad into some more cruises; not just me hinting.

Well, the naturalist is about to speak. Have to say - HAL is a great line. Will look forward to the smaller ships that you all speak about.

Good to hear what a good cruise you are having. Enjoy the time with your son. How special you get to go to dance classes with him!!!

Thanks for taking the time from your cruise to post for us.

Enjoy every minute aboard!!!

It sure didn't take long for your son to get with the program. :) Good for him. Good for both of you!

So glad to read of the very nice time you both are having. Thank you for taking the time to post.

Karen2cruz, :D Great post. It is very nice of you to share your cruising on here. Glad to hear everything is going well for you and your son. I sure can't wait for those crab legs. The ballroom dancing sounds GREAT, can't wait til I 'm sailing, I always wanted to learn how to ballroom dance. When do they have the dance classes, which days? Have you been seeing alot of whales from the ship? How about any eagles, or any other wildlife?

My son has fallen in love with Holland America-heh heh - now he can talk his dad into some more cruises; not just me hinting.

Fabulous news about your son getting into the "swing". Any boy/man who can dance or even attempt to, will never be lost for companionship.

We are going on the Westerdam in November and I am trying to find out if there is wireless access in the staterooms. Can you tell. Do you have to go to a public area to use your laptop?

The wireless access points are near the atrium but can sometimes be reached from cabins near mid-ship. Thruput will vary considerably based on your wireless card and other factors.

There are modem ports in the "V" category balcony cabins, but I didnt bring my laptop this time. Over heard one guy asking if he could use his in his cabin and the lady said yes.

Hubbard Glacier - Sunny, clear skies and lots of calving. Absolutely breathtaking. No animals except birds there.

Dance classes- held between 11 am and 1 pm so far and none during port times. None today or tomorrow since we are in port most of the days. However after we leave Ketchikan at 1pm Friday there will be a class and before 6 pm on Saturday before reaching Victoria.

Juneau - did the Capt Larry's whale watching and saw loads of whales, bald eagles, sea lions, seals and Dahls porpoises. Helicopter ride with Coastal to Hebert(sp?) glacier breathtaking as well. No bear sightings, sigh. Both of these arranged through Orca Enterprises. Weather is partly cloudy, partly rainy, partly sunny from moment to moment. Guides have said they have only had 12 days of clear days this summer.

Well, thought one trip to Alaska would get it out of my system but now I am in big trouble. There's so much to do and see I will definitely be coming back. So much to do and so little money to do it with- heh heh.

Triple Decker Club sandwich becoming a daily ritual for a snack to hold us over til late sitting - split between my son and I - oh we are getting so spolied. Cant wait to hear from our tablemates how the river rafting anf city tour went for them.

Time for a nap on those comfy HAL beds.

Sitka - Sea Otter Quest with Allens Marine (HAL uses them for excursions) was very good. It was raining and windy but we still went out and glad we did. Saw sea otters, sea lions, harbor seals and bald eagles.

Ketchikan - cancelled Misty Fjords floatplane-socked in with clouds, sigh. So, we took a city tour which included the Totem parks and Dollys House. Had a really funny bus driver/guide, named jeff or "Sourdough Jack", as he likes to call himself. Weather was better, no rain, but no sun.

Son had a great time line dancing last night in the Northern Lights Lounge. Found out that is where the younger crew likes to hang out at night after work. He taught them a new line dance. He had a great time.

Food has been consistently good in the dining room. The buffet pizza has been the biggest disappointment for my son. But the deli has made up for that.

Good thing about cruising at the end of the season are the sales going on right now in ports and on the ship - did a lot of unexpected Christmas shopping, heh heh.

Sitting here waiting to print out my boarding pass and then go into Victoria, BC to visit Craigdorroch Castle and the BC Museum.

Have really enjoyed our first HAL cruise. Hope we have plenty of future opportunities to cruise the line again.

Will write a complete review when we get back. Not too much in laundry since we took advantage of stuffing the laundry bag during the week.

Archived