Is $600 the norm - DFW to Vancouver?

cynt

I've narrowed my Summer 2007 Alaska cruise to Vision of the Seas, June 22, 2006 leaves roundtrip from Seattle or Serenade of the Seas, June 16, 2007 rt from Vancouver.

My dilemma... AIRFARE!

DFW to Vancouver rt runs about $600+

DFW to Seattle rt runs about $425+

I checked airfare today (sidestep.com, priceline and orbitz) and I was floored when I saw how much it cost to fly to Vancouver. I guess I was leaning more towards Vancouver so I was disappointed when I saw how much it cost to fly to Vancouver.

Is there any airlines that I should check that I might be overlooking that would not appear on sidestep.com? For example Southwest doesn't appear on sidestep.

If all else fails I might bid on priceline.com.

We just got back from the Serenade, wonderful cruise! I recommend sailing out of Vancouver, the sceneary was gorgeous, especially on the last day coming back to Vancouver.

We flew into Seattle the day before the cruise and then took Amtrak up to Vancouver the morning of the cruise. We were on the ship by 12:30. The Amtrak route follows right along the coast most of the way and is a very nice and scenic route.

We took Quickshuttle from Vancouver after the cruise. Not as nice as Amtrak, but still an ok way to come back to Seattle.

Southwest doesn't fly to Vancouver, but they do fly to Seattle. Another option is to research low fares to Seattle and factor in the cost of transportation between Seattle and Vancouver. I've been able to save several hundred dollars doing that in the past.

Southwest is not allowed to sell connecting flights out of Dallas due to an archaic law passed in the 70's. Dallas originating passengers suffer from the highest per mile costs in the country as the result of lack of competition.

You might try Southwest to St. Louis and a round trip to Vancouver on someone else.

Beth

What you're seeing now sounds like about the same price differential you're likely to see all the time. It's just more expensive to fly into and out of Vancouver.

We did the Serenade cruise this year, and it seemed as most of the people from the States (at least the ones we talked to) flew into Seattle and either took Amtrak or rented a car and drove up. Hey, I'm from the east coast of Canada and it would have been cheaper for me to fly into Seattle and take the train up! But I couldn't see spending the extra time traveling, so we bit the bullet and paid for flights to Vancouver, enjoying the extra time sightseeing.

Yes I plan to arrive a day early, I don't have the nerves to fly in the same day. I have considered flying into Seattle and traveling to Vancouver but I also don't know if I want to mess with all of that. I call it the convenience factor. I would rather pay the $200 additional to fly straight into Vancouver if I'm going to take the Serenade and American has direct non stop flights to VC. I'm budgeting a $2000 for cruise and airfare, not including excursions, souvies or incidentals. So now I'm playing with giving up the balcony for an inside/window or going over budget by $200. 80% sure I'll go over budget. LOL!

Someone mentioned Southwest and how they don't fly straight to Seattle from DFW. Yes I'm also aware of this as well. I was just using SW as an example of an airline that doesn't appear on sidestep or orbitz.com.

Thanks again for your replies and suggestions.

Yes I plan to arrive a day early, I don't have the nerves to fly in the same day. I have considered flying into Seattle and traveling to Vancouver but I also don't know if I want to mess with all of that. I call it the convenience factor. I would rather pay the $200 additional to fly straight into Vancouver if I'm going to take the Serenade and American has direct non stop flights to VC. I'm budgeting a $2000 for cruise and airfare, not including excursions, souvies or incidentals. So now I'm playing with giving up the balcony for an inside/window or going over budget by $200. 80% sure I'll go over budget. LOL!

Someone mentioned Southwest and how they don't fly straight to Seattle from DFW. Yes I'm also aware of this as well. I was just using SW as an example of an airline that doesn't appear on sidestep or orbitz.com.

Thanks again for your replies and suggestions.

Excellent plan, always fly in a day early. :) Actually, it isn't "bad" to fly into and stay a night in Seattle?? Cheap airport hotels are plenty and the Amtrak transfer is a winner- plan $25 plus+ $35 cab, pack light and take the cheap Sky train. Way back- consider Quick Shuttle. There is also a one way car rental option- bonus, extra sightseeing opportunities. :) Price out everything and go with your priorities. It may be the best option to pay the extra and go in/out of Vancouver.

Archived