"Soft" wine questions for Carnival CEO

joeinsb

Just read the interview with Bob Dickinson, Carnival's big boss, and am disappointed that Lynn Seldon, CC contributor, didn't ask Mr Wine why Princess has just upped the ante on many of the popular wines in its shipboard cellars. For an enophile who is trying to showcase wine, Mr Dickinson has a peculiar way of encouraging people to buy wine aboard his ships.

Second, and this is what has always puzzled me, why does Bob flood Carnival's cellars with the best wines afloat? Although we are not regular Carnival cruisers, we have sailed on four of their ships, including Elation on a 7-day, and based on our observation of the demographic that frequents Carnival (RCCI too), wine drinkers are far outnumbered by the iced tea, Diet Coke and beer crowd, which is typical of mainstream America. Maybe Bob figures that since Carnival has--what, two dozen ships?--he can sell more wine even at only 10 bottles a meal per ship. Anyway, I don't get it.

The most wine we saw consumed on any ship we've sailed on, was on Regent's Seven Seas Mariner, where vino is free at dinner. Believe me, everyone except the Friends of Bill W, drank on that ship. I asked the head sommelier how many bottles they poured each night and he said it was something like 200 to 300, as I recall. Now that's what I call promoting the product.

If Lynn wishes to do a follow up, or if somebody at Cruise Critic who has access to Mr Dickinson would like to speak to the man, I'd like to hear his explanation.

Alan Buckelew is the President of Princess Cruises.

Bob Dickenson is the President of Carnival Cruises.

Neither is listed as being on the board of Carnival Corporation & plc.

Therefore if the price of wine goes up on Princess blame Buckelew not Dickenson.

http://www.carnivalcorp.com/Sections/InvestorOverview/CorpGov.aspx

Based on "your observation of demographics", isn't that another way of saying stereotype?

Now I am no math genius but selling 10 bottles at a meal sounds much more profitable than giving away 200.

It would be safe to assume they put the higer dollar items where the money is, they use real demographics, not biased observation to make their calls.

For an enophile who is trying to showcase wine, Mr Dickinson has a peculiar way of encouraging people to buy wine aboard his ships.

My husband is always amazed at the wine list that is provided on Carnival. He always orders us a fabulous wine that we treat ourselves to on each cruise. Are the wines on the "classier" cruise ships that are free of the same quality???? I would rather pay for a good bottle of wine, than have an OK quality for free.

On our cruise in July, we saw quite a few bottles (and single glasses) being brought out for diners during the late seating. I do not recall seeing any beers being brought out.

Since Carnival apparently does have some of the best wines afloat, perhaps you and other posters have the wrong idea of the demographics on CCL ships.

On our last cruise (a different cruise line) they offered wine packages where you could purchase silver, gold or platinum packages for 5 or 10 bottle quantities. Does Carnival offer something similar?

Thanks,

On our last cruise (a different cruise line) they offered wine packages where you could purchase silver, gold or platinum packages for 5 or 10 bottle quantities. Does Carnival offer something similar?

Thanks,

No they don't :(

To the OP, I would suggest the next time the Presidential Wine Club has a group cruise you should sign up. You might learn something about wine, and Carnival.

Alan Buckelew is the President of Princess Cruises.

Bob Dickenson is the President of Carnival Cruises.

Neither is listed as being on the board of Carnival Corporation & plc.

Bob is on the Board of Directors.

Scroll down and see the list.

Bob is on the Board of Directors.

Scroll down and see the list.

I believe the point he was trying to make is that Bob Dickinson is not the one who makes the "wine" decisions for Princess....only for Carnival.

Is whining about wine an oxymoron??? LOL

I have often wondered how good their wines are since wine is suppose to be kept dark and motionless....and after all...it is a ship???

My last sommelier glasses cost me $64.00 a stem. (and that was a steal, according to some friends of mine that are really into that stuff)

I believe the point he was trying to make is that Bob Dickinson is not the one who makes the "wine" decisions for Princess....only for Carnival.

Yes I misspoke I meant he didn't have corporate wide athority. Probably the only one with that kind of pull is Mikey.

The only problem I have with Carnival and the wine list is that they often run out of the higher priced wines very early on the cruise. The last time we were on the Miracle the first night at dinner, we had to go through 3 choices before we found one they had in stock.

Tom

wine drinkers are far outnumbered by the iced tea, Diet Coke and beer crowd, which is typical of mainstream America.

Um, I don't drink iced tea (well, not on the ship but being in the South, you have to like iced tea :D), don't drink diet coke (unless it is blended with a nice bourbon :D) and beer... eh, I'll have a Corona here and there, but not really what I prefer... now, give me a nice bottle of wine, and I'm happy. I guess I have never counted the wine drinkers, but I do know there are a fairly good number of connoisseurs that cruise Carnival.

Aside from that, as mentioned.. you really can't get ticked at Bob, for something he isn't responsible for... talk to the President of Princess...

Archived