Review: Miracle - September 3-10

silentbob007

Chris BRAVO BRAVO

You did a great job on the review. I was wondering why you cruised with your Mom, now I know. It was a pleasure to meet and talk to your mom Bonnie and you.

BUT you forgot to mention afternoon TEA. Hehe

As I read your review I kept shaking my head and saying Yep that how it was to myself. We had a great CC group, one of the best groups we have ever encounterred.

Thanks so much for re-capping our wonderfull cruise.

See you on the RC board

Debbie and Larry

The Cabin

As some of you may know, I posted a question about upgrading or OBC a few weeks ago. In the end, I kept my upgrade and was very happy with it.

I paid for an upgrade to a 7A GTY and ended up with room 5241, which was an obstructed 9A. The room was huge and well appointed (with a VCR ... which I only used as a clock). The obstruction was obviouslly present, but there was a section where you could look down to the water through, and you could still see most of the horizon while sitting. There were two large closets with both hanger and cubby space. Even though the room was behind the elevators, it was perfectly quiet (except for our obnoxious balcony neighbors).

Spirit vs Conquest class

These two styles of ship share a lot of the same amenities, but there are some marked differences between the two. Spirit-class ships are smaller and carry just over 2,000 passengers, while Conquest-class ships are larger and carry over 3,000 passengers. I ran into very few lines on the Miracle (food, tendering, etc), but they were more common on the Valor and the Glory. As I mentioned before, it seemed like I "ran into" people a lot more on the Miracle than I ever did on the bigger ships. I also liked the fact that the Miracle had no mid-ship dining room obstructions and thus had a free traffic-flow. The outside promenade was also very nice. There were a couple of things that I missed from the Conquest-class ships. I missed Fish and Chips, though that was offered the last day for lunch in the dining room. This will seem stupid, but I also missed the option of heading to the second floor on Lido for eating. I always did that on the Glory and the Valor because very few people would climb the steps, giving me a quieter dining experience. I couldn't really escape people during standard hours on the Miracle (but there were always seats) ... just a small thing, I know. I also liked having all of the main activities on the promenade deck. Their seperation on the Miracle meant that there were more rooms and directions needed to keep track of where you wanted to go.

The Negatives

We all know that no cruise is perfect, and this one was certainly no exception. As I mentioned, there were some people on board who left less than a favorable impression with me. I also ran into one issue related to Carnival, and that dealt with the photo department. I purchased a reusable underwater camera with a flash offered by the ship for 15.95 with a free film refill if you developed the first set of pictures on board. I purchased this camera for the tubing trip, and while on the trip, I felt like the 27 exposures I had paid for really seemed more like 20. When I had the film developed, only 5 pictures came out. A note about my dissatisfaction was sent to the photo manager, as well as a request for a refund on the camera. He called me back within a few hours and asked me to stop by that evening (the last evening). His general explaination was that I was a fault for the photos not turning out because there wasn't enough light for the film (though many shots were taken outside with 800 speed film ... I'm not a camera novice and I know the limitations of film and cheap cameras) but he didn't come out and blame me. He then gave me a line about how I was the only passenger to complain. Then, he told me that because of the special price and the cost of the extra film they gave out (which I didn't get ... or ask for ... I had no need for the film), Carnival made very little profit on the camera and developing. All of this meant that I couldn't get a refund, but that he could give me a deal on photos or other photo products. When I said I had already purchased the photos I had wanted, he gave me a small photo album filled with photos from the ship as consolation.

Now ... here's my problem, and here's what I wrote on my comment card. When it comes to dealing with the customer, the explaination, in my opinion, should never be about profit. Either Carnival stands behind the products they sell or they don't. As someone on my 6th Carnival cruise, I didn't appreciate being lectured about how Carnival wasn't making money off of me and the $16 camera I had purchased off of them.

At breakfast and lunch with different people, I heard grumblings from other passengers about how they don't like Carnival, and they had told themselves that they'd never sail Carnival again, but [insert excuse for this voyage] ... I really get sick of people who spend their whole conversation trashing whatever ... sometimes I swear I'm wearing a sign that says B**** to me. I heard common complaints like how small the pools were or how disappointing someone found the steak to be, but I rarely heard any genuinely distressing issues or concerns.

Final Thoughts

I thought this was a great trip, espcially given the quality of the ship and the price we were able to grab for sailing during hurricane season. There were ups and downs, and if I could control everything, there were defintely a few things I would change. I definitely would not hesitate to sail out of Tampa or aboard a Spirit-class ship. This ship is nice and she has a great crew that keeps her running smoothly. I'm looking forward to some interesting comparisions on my RCCL trip to basically the same ports over Christmas.

Platinum is getting closer.

Great review Chris!!!! I am booked on my 14th Carnival cruise with the Miracle Misfits on Oct. 1, 2006. Really looking forward to the cruise and the CC family. Have already cruised the Miricle 02/2005 and can say that it was a great experience! Thanks for sharing your experience with us all.

Mary Lynn

This is a great review,I will also be on the Miracle in 3 weeks.I have one question is Margaritaville in Grand Cayman open yet?

You know, I have a picture of Margaritaville, but didn't go by and see if it was actually open. If not, it has to be pretty close.

great review, I was so glad to read one so recent. We are going 10/22 and I am addicted to reading all these boards in hopes of getting so many great tips, and its paid off.

could you elaborate more on the food, restaurants etc? I have only cruised once before and the menus always changed nightly, is that true for miracle?

There are three main eating venues on the Miracle. The Bacchus Dining Room is the main dining room where you will have assigned dinner seating. Each night features a different menu consisting of choices for appetizers, salads, entrees, and desserts. Bacchus is also open every morning at set times for breakfast and on the sea days for lunch. The lunch menus change, but the breakfast menu remains the same except for the daily egg special.

Horatio's on Lido is the informal dining venue. It is where you will find the grill, pizza parlor, deli, and buffets. There is food available 24 hours a day.

Nick and Nora's is the alternative supper club that has a $30 surcharge. The food, ambiance, and service is top tier, and the dinner usually lasts around 2 hours. Reservations for choice days, times, and seats need to be made once you get on the ship.

Also the time getting on/off the ship did it take along time?

Carnival always uses its earliest tenders to get guests ashore that have purchased excursions through them. Now, I didn't really rush ashore except for Belize, but there wasn't much of a line at all. If you want to leave as soon as possible, you will probably end up waiting a bit because a lot of people get anxious about maximizing their shore time. Costa Maya is the only port you are pretty much guaranteed to dock, which means you can pretty much get off at your leisure.

Finally when leaving the various ports in the evening and cruising to other islands were you able to see the sunsets from above deck or your balcony? Were there other islands in the distance that you could see?

The ship usually departs from the islands relatively early, so sunsets usually occur out on open water. Unless it is too cloudy, there should still be some good sunsets, however.

Hope I've been helpful. :D

Great review! You are an interesting writer as well. What did mom do?

We spent a lot of time together on the cruise, so most of the stuff I mention, she did as well. The only thing that she didn't participate in was the tubing tour. I also spent a little more time out at night than she did. It was her first balcony (my second), so being the retired school librarian that she is, she was content to sit on the balcony and read.

She did go ashore in Belize, but I had promise me that she would not leave the tourist area, as I wouldn't feel comfortable out there myself, and I'm not the smallest or meekest guy in the world.

I can't believe I forgot ....

Tea ... yes, afternoon tea was a nice experience. I believe it was offered on both sea days, but I only attended the first one.

24 karat gold plated plastic ship on a stick ... yup, I won my first trivia contest ... Simpsons trivia. Seriously, no one else had a chance. The assistant CD shot me weird glances when I answered some of the more obscure questions correctly.

Hey Chris, glad you and Bonnie made it home safe and sound.

Great review, I felt like I was reliving the cruise all over again. Steve and I were going to go to the Simpson's trivia. but figured we didn't have enough knowledge about them. I'm glad we didn't. We did win the Animal trivia contest, with 16 of 20 correct answers. I guess that tells you where our knowledge lies :)

Have a great time on your Christmas cruise and I hope our paths cross again.

Bev

Seagall,

We are also just back from the Miracle. Food, There are 2 outside grills by the middle pool that serve burgers, frys, steak sandwiches, dogs, etc. Then, just astern are 4 buffet lines serving different stuff at each station, plus a salad and fruit bar, plus pizza bar, plus dessert bar. All of these are in Horatio's Restaurant which runs from midships nearly to the stern on Deck 9, the Lido deck. It was large enough to handle everyone with their carryon on the day we got on. One of the 4 in Horatio's is a NY Deli, which serves a mean Ruben among other sandwiches, Roast Beef, Pastrami, Turkey, etc. Another of the 4 is International, mostly Oriental on our trip. Plenty of choices on the buffets, then there is a Sushi Bar in the evenings on deck 2 I think. There is 1 restaurant with 2 seatings. The quality is pretty good everywhere and the presentation in the restaurant is very nice. Then too, there is Nick and Nora's--the 30 dollar upcharge place.

On--Off the boat. We got to the terminal about 11:30 am and were in group 14 to board. We didn't wait long and joined the throng in Horatio's for lunch shortly after Noon. The rooms weren't ready until about 1:30pm, but we didn't mind as we had a pleasant place to sit and stuff ourselves.

Getting off--a little late--they had said that those that carry their own luggage off could do so around 7:30am. It was 8:20am and a ton of people did this leading to much anxiety for many of them. We grabbed a taxi and were checked in at the airport by 9:05am for a noon flight. In retrospect, we could have had a leisurely breakfast and been off by 9-9:30 am. They wanted everyone out of their cabins by 9:30am.

Outside access--all decks 9 and above, deck 3--one could go most of the way around the ship--some of the bow was not accessible , but just cut through to the other side via doors. The nicest views were from flybridges on 9 on both sides at the bow.

Hey Chris, glad you and Bonnie made it home safe and sound.

Great review, I felt like I was reliving the cruise all over again. Steve and I were going to go to the Simpson's trivia. but figured we didn't have enough knowledge about them. I'm glad we didn't. We did win the Animal trivia contest, with 16 of 20 correct answers. I guess that tells you where our knowledge lies :)

Have a great time on your Christmas cruise and I hope our paths cross again.

Bev

Hi Bev ... Animal trivia, huh? Well ... that's probably more useful than Simpsons trivia. ;)

I feel prepared for my Christmas cruise because we are going to the exact same places (except Belize), only out of New Orleans. Oh well ... at least I'll be on a cruise, right ... and I have a mission: one of the waiters at the Cat's Meow wanted me to bring him a ballcap when I came back. :)

Oh, by the way everyone, stashed away in the middle section of my pictures are the shots I tood during the main production shows. I took these with CC in mind, as personally, I've never been so blown away by a cruise ship production that I just had to snap pics of it. Of course ... for the safety of the performers ... no flash photography was used. :)

It's the small things that impressed me ....

How many times can I praise the crew of this ship? Something I'd never seen before ... in Horatio's, servers had carts of juice, water, tea, and coffee to offer drinks or refills to the Lido diners. There were also self-serve stations if you wanted to get it yourself. At the free drink/food parties in Phantom, uniformed staff were directing the servers down rows that had been skipped or were ready for refills.

This one will seem odd ... a purser's desk employee made a joke. My mom went to deliver a note to the head chef and I tagged along. She mentioned that I was her son, and the desk employee asked her, even so, if I were bothering her, because she could call security. :)

There did seem to be a lot of tables for two around the "opening" in the middle of the room. I have to say, the dining room on the Miracle seemed less crowded (space wise) than on the Glory and the Valor. In other words, I could easily get to my table in the back corner without having to squeeze between chairs and tables.

We were at Cats Meow at the same time as you apparently, as the young couple at the table next to us had to go to the ship to get change for a $100. The man went and the waiter gave him $2 to get there. We had a beer and 2 sodas, chips and salsa for $5.00, went snorkeling and saw a number of fish, healthy Turtle Grass, etc., pretty good considering we were in the town. Barbara, the Canadian owner; indicated they are about to start construction on a hotel 1.5 miles south.

silentbob,

We were at the table behind you in your picture, I guess a little later. We enjoyed Cat's Meow and darn near everything else. This was my 5th cruise on 4 different lines. The Miracle was the best so far. As you mentioned, the mobile drink carts in Horatio's were a nice touch...

Thanks for the great review, Silent Bob! I enjoy reading FAIR reviews such as yours. So many times reviews are from those who do nothing but complain. We will board the Miracle on 9/17! Do you have any pictures of your cave tubing excursion? We are also booked with Yhonni (cave-tubing.com). Would you say we should wear our sneakers to walk the trail to the point of entry into the river then change into our water shoes? Any advice is appreciated!

Archived