Storing luggage at airport in Venice

Read here a few times about people who, after disembarking, dropped off their luggage at Marco Polo airport and then travelled back to Venice with just an overnite bag. So much easier than shlepping luggage to the hotel and then back again to the airport later. Now I can't find the info I need.

Anyone done this? How to find where to go at the airport to store it? What is the cost etc?

Appreciate any help....???

This is a copy of a reply I gave to someone else on this subject. Hope it helps.

My wife and I did this last year. The Left luggage office is on the bottom level of the airport. There is an attendent who will run the luggage through an X-Ray machine before they store it. They just put it on shelves but the room is supposed to always be attended or locked. You can lock your luggage and it is supposed to be safe but I still wouldn't leave expensive jewery or lots of cash just in case. I think the fee is 3 euros per day per piece of luggage. As opposed to trying to lug it around Venice it was a bargin. The Left Luggage office isn't open. Here is a copy of the email I received last year from them.

You can find a left luggage place at Marco Polo airport in the arrivals area.

It is open everyday (6.00 a.m - 9.00 p.m.).

The cost per 24 hours for each luggage is euro 3.00.

Best regards

Marianna

Coop. Trasbagagli

tel 041 713719

fax 041 713864

e-mail info@trasbagagli.it

sito web http://www.trasbagagli.it

They list a web site and an email address so you can get some additional information.

Have a great next cruise.

Note that there is also a Left Luggage service at the port terminal in Venice. On June 14, we paid 2.50 Euro per bag per day for the convenience of leaving our luggage at the port after disembarkation. We used the free cruise line (Celebrity) port-Piazza S. Marco vaporetto to go sightsee. Later that day, we returned to the port by the same free water bus shuttle, retrieved our luggage and caught a land taxi to the airport (35 Euros + tip).

It appears from the Port of Venice website that the Left Luggage facility is open 8a-6p the days ships are in port. That makes sense, but does make it an unreliable option if you wish to leave your luggage for more than a day & the port calendar shows no cruise ship activity. In that instance, the airport Left Luggage facility appears to be the best option for persons traveling with a lot of luggage, although it does come at a premium of 70 Euros + tip for the RT taxi ride solely dedicated to luggage storage (the cost of which is guesstimated from our 35E+ ride from the port to the airport).

(Source is this page, which I had Google translate for me, from the Port of Venice website: http://www.vtp.it/pages/navi/crociera.jsp?nomeInfo=P&iconaInfo=ico-passeggeri&idm=SALWGW1A589AH8S4WWN6OIGV880U06V1 )

What we did to avoid some of these charge was to purchase the Cruise line's transfer from the port to the airport, which was by truck for the luggage and by bus for us. Then we stored out luggage and took the special airport waterbus, 10 euros per person, back to our hotel in Venice. Then when our stay was over we took the airport waterbus back to the airport and picked up our luggage and made our flight home. If you were flying in to Venice to pick up your ship, you could do the same thing except in reverse. Arrive at the airport and store your luggage, ride the waterbus to your Venice hotel with carry-on luggage and then return to the airport the day your cruise is leaving and catch the cruise ship transportation directly to the ship. In our case the cost of the cruise ship transfers were relatively reasonable and allowed us to just put our bigger pieces of luggage out for pickup the night before we left the ship.

Have a great next cruise.

There is also a left luggage facility at top of Piazza Roma, the very fit of you could walk from dock to there (200yds up slope & 600yds down hill). Vaporetto is available right there at edge of square. Then when you need to go to airport there is a blue bus every 30 mins to airport for only 3 euros per person & no charge for luggage on bus. Bag store is 3 euros per bag. We used this route in May when we had a very late flight, worked just great for us but did not fancy walk to P Roma so purchased ship transfer to P Roma for $10.

Back in May, 2004 here is what we did. After disembarking the ship, we shared a land taxi for 30 euros per couple to the airport. Left our suitecases

in the airport storage for 4.50euro per case per each 24 hours. For 28 hours of storage, the charge was 18 euros. Then we took the Blue bus back to Piazzale Rome for 1 euro p.p. and vaporetto to our hotel for 5 euro p.p.

And we returned to the airport the next day the same way. Worked out perfect. All we had with us was a carry on.

We just got off the Millennium on Thursday AM. We purchased the ship's transfers to the airport for $18 per person and left our four bags of luggage at the airport. The fee is now 4.5 Euros per day, which for four bags for two days came to 36 Euros. To avoid being charged for three days, make sure you are back there to collect it before a 24 hour period ends since the charge is per 24 hour period. We decided to just wait at the airport before checking our bags on Thursday until the time we expected to return two days forward on Saturday. We took the Alalguina boat transter to Fontementa Nove stop for 5 Euros per person each way to our hotel in Venice (San Marco is 10 Euros). It worked out very well and we only had to deal with our hand luggage in Venice. I do think the 4.5 Euro per day per bag is a rip-off, however.

I agree that 4.50 euros per bag is a rip off, but it beats shlepping luggage around Venice over the bridges and up to your room without elevators.

This was the one of the best advices I got from this board.

WWINFL91 thank you again.

Thanks for the nice comment Isabella. I was really happy to notice that people had seen my posting on this subject and have been using it. I also agree the increased cost, 4.50 euros per bag are a lot higher than when I did it but I still think it is better than trying to drag your bags up and down the bridges of Venice, much as I like the bridges.

Thanks again for the nice comments and talk at you all later.

Archived