Summary of winning bids on Priceline

dmk

Priceline winning bid 4* Monaco Seattle, Seattle Downtown - Pike Place
100.00 bid
22.52 taxes and fees

(Hotel advertised rates per website $300 with tax/same on expedia)

started at 50 increased by $5 per day on last day changed to 3.5* and 4* and increased bid to $100 and was upgraded to 4*. (I've been doing this since October. When I get to $100 I start over at $50)

Date: 8/5/11-8/6/11 for post cruise stay.

Been working on this one a while!

Now gotta work on the pre-cruise stay!

[quote name='sasha101us']Is it true that PL gives you the designated smoking rooms? We are looking at the CP in San Pedro, but would hate to be stuck in a smoking room... or are they really that bad smelling? If you have booked and stayed thru PL, any comment on this would be appreciated.

Also, we have 4 people-- is it really hard to get a room with 2 beds in it if we book thru PL?
Thanks[/quote]

Just thought I'd pass this info along as I have been a long time customer of Priceline and just had this terrible experience.

I had booked the CP for 12/11 through Priceline Name your own price of $70 that was accepted for our upcoming cruise on Splendor for Sunday, 12/12. As you are all well aware of, Carnival canceled the Splendor cruises for approx 10 weeks due to the fire. Although Carnival fully refunded cruise and airfare, they would not refund hotel. Yes, I had insurance, but only for the cruise. Here was Priceline's response:
[INDENT]We apologize if your travel plans have changed; however, Name
Your Own Price® reservations are restricted; they are non-changeable, non-refundable, and non-transferable. Your reservation cannot be exchanged for future travel or cancelled for a fee.

If we could make an exception for you, we would; however, our travel partner accepts your price on the condition that your reservation will not be changed or cancelled. This condition, as stated throughout the request process, is the reason customers are able to purchase reservations at their own price.

So BEWARE WHEN USING PRICELINE....:mad:

There was a happy ending though but not due to Priceline, I booked another cruise for the same weekend leaving a day ealier (12/11) but in San Diego with Holland America not out of San Pedro. I called the Crowne Plaza San Pedro and asked them if they would switch my reservations from 12/11 to 12/18 so we could stay there after coming BACK from our cruise and they agreed!

Now CP THAT IS CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! :D
THANK YOU CROWNE PLAZA SAN PEDRO!!! You've won a loyal customer!!!
[/INDENT]

[quote name='Alaska4us'].........a long time customer of Priceline and just had this terrible experience.

[INDENT]We apologize if your travel plans have changed; however, [COLOR=RED]Name
Your Own Price® reservations are restricted; they are non-changeable, non-refundable, and non-transferable.[/COLOR] Your reservation cannot be exchanged for future travel or cancelled for a fee.

So BEWARE WHEN USING PRICELINE....
[/INDENT][/QUOTE]

It's one of the reasons you can get the Crowne Plaza for $70, on a night that probably listed for around $150. As "a longtime customer", you probably could have eaten the $70, with all of the previous savings you had. Plus, Priceline offers insurance for $5 a day. It was nice of the Crowne Plaza to change your reservation, but was not required of them. Edited by KreinKrunker

[quote name='KreinKrunker']It's one of the reasons you can get the Crowne Plaza for $70, on a night that probably listed for around $150. As "a longtime customer", you probably could have eaten the $70, with all of the previous savings you had. Plus, Priceline offers insurance for $5 a day. [/quote]

Very much agreed.

If you got all the benefits of a regular priced hotel rate, why would anyone pay that? There's a trade-off that you get a huge discount because you're committing to the booking and paying upfront. That locks in their revenue as well as your costs. If people could cancel and get refunds, there's no way prices could be as low - and much less reason for the hotels to use that sales model.

[quote name='Alaska4us']
[INDENT]So BEWARE WHEN USING PRICELINE....:mad:

There was a happy ending though but not due to Priceline, I booked another cruise for the same weekend leaving a day ealier (12/11) but in San Diego with Holland America not out of San Pedro. I called the Crowne Plaza San Pedro and asked them if they would switch my reservations from 12/11 to 12/18 so we could stay there after coming BACK from our cruise and they agreed!

Now CP THAT IS CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! :D
THANK YOU CROWNE PLAZA SAN PEDRO!!! You've won a loyal customer!!!
[/INDENT][/quote]

Thank you for this post. You make 2 EXCELLENT POINTS.

[LIST]
[*]Although you can get a good deal on Priceline, always be cautious. If you have to cancel or change, avoid priceline. Also avoid if you need a room for more than 2 people or if you need a particular amenity (e.g., shuttle, non-smoking room, or swimming pool).
[*]If you do have to cancel or change, contact the hotel directly. I've seen a lot of complaints about Priceline on sites like [URL="http://www.HotelDealsRevealed.com"]www.HotelDealsRevealed.com[/URL] and others. Very seldom will Priceline budge, but contacting the hotel is quite ingenius!
[/LIST]Glad it worked out for you in the end.

• 3 weeks later...
As to needs for a particular type of room once you have won a bid on Priceline - I have always called the hotel direct and made my requests. Never once have I been told no. But I never bid for anything less than a 3.5 star. The Crowne was great that they allowed you to change your date. Some of the smaller chains and hotels may be less likely to want to please a customer who is only paying in the $30 -$40 dollar range.

I had a regular reservation at the DoubleTree in San Pedro for $149 plus tax making it $169/night.

I went to Priceline and bid $70 and got the Doubletree so cancelled my original reservation.

Now my reservation thru Priceline is $70 plus tax $17.68 = $87.68/night. Yea!!

Just was awarded Holiday Inn on the Bay (short walk to the cruise port) for $65 + taxes for March 2011, through Priceline. Yeah! (Website is $132 + taxes).

We have used Priceline several times previously and non-smoking is important to us and have never had a problem requesting a non-smoking room on check in. Bed configuration for us is not an issue. We are very happy with our bid!

Just was awarded Holiday Inn on the Bay (short walk to the cruise port) for $65 + taxes for March 2011, through Priceline. Yeah! (Website is $132 + taxes).

We have used Priceline several times previously and non-smoking is important to us and have never had a problem requesting a non-smoking room on check in. Bed configuration for us is not an issue. We are very happy with our bid!

Does Holiday Inn on the Bay have parking or is there a fee?

Just saw this that may be of interest to you:

"Great deal at San Diego hotel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We had to scramble after our Splendor cruise was canceled and booked HAL out of San Diego for Jan 8, 2011. We checked out stay123 dot com and found the Puerto Vista hotel in Little Italy. The rate was $89 for one night with 7 days parking. It is only 6 blocks to the cruise ship and there is so much to do in Little Italy. I called the hotel directly and the person there was soooo helpful and confirmed the price is valid. This is one of those boutique hotels and I have never seen one priced so reasonably."

and...

I'm bad, the correct spelling of the hotel name is Porto Vista Sorry! The phone is 619-557-9303

Just saw this that may be of interest to you:

"Great deal at San Diego hotel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We had to scramble after our Splendor cruise was canceled and booked HAL out of San Diego for Jan 8, 2011. We checked out stay123 dot com and found the Puerto Vista hotel in Little Italy. The rate was $89 for one night with 7 days parking. It is only 6 blocks to the cruise ship and there is so much to do in Little Italy. I called the hotel directly and the person there was soooo helpful and confirmed the price is valid. This is one of those boutique hotels and I have never seen one priced so reasonably."

and...

I'm bad, the correct spelling of the hotel name is Porto Vista Sorry! The phone is 619-557-9303

Thanks, I saw that also.

$65 bid accepted for Crowne Plaza in San Pedro for end of Feb.

I have one question if anybody has an answer. They say they have parking, but don't know if that's included in the hotel price or not. Anyone know?

It was included when we were there. We were even able to leave the car there while we were on the ship. I don't remember the price but I do know that it was cheaper than parking at the pier (Long Beach). We took the shuttle to the pier and they picked us up afterwards. If you are sailing out of Long Beach make sure you let them know that you are going to Long Beach because they have fewer shuttles going there.

$65 bid accepted for Crowne Plaza in San Pedro for end of Feb.

I have one question if anybody has an answer. They say they have parking, but don't know if that's included in the hotel price or not. Anyone know?

We are checking in at the Crowne Plaza, San Pedro this Saturday January 8. Last time we stayed there we flew in, but this time around we're driving. I called them yesterday to ask the same question and was told that parking is not included while you're on the cruise unless you booked the cruise package. If you didn't, parking is only included for the night(s) you are actually staying at the hotel.

We paid $65 + taxes on Priceline as well.

Edited by TravlGrl

We are checking in at the Crowne Plaza, San Pedro this Saturday January 8. Last time we stayed there we flew in, but this time around we're driving. I called them yesterday to ask the same question and was told that parking is not included while you're on the cruise unless you booked the cruise package. If you didn't, parking is only included for the night(s) you are actually staying at the hotel.

We paid $65 + taxes on Priceline as well.

Thank you!

I know it's a little early but we are starting to research hotels for Seattle for August 2011. I followed this site last year and tried Hotwire for the first time for Vancouver. We got the Sutton Place for $123 plus tax. Has anyone stayed in Seattle and got a nice hotel in the downtown area on Hotwire or Priceline? I'm not sure if we should also try Priceline and what would you recommend as a bid for end of August.

Thanks,

New to Seattle

I know it's a little early but we are starting to research hotels for Seattle for August 2011. I followed this site last year and tried Hotwire for the first time for Vancouver. We got the Sutton Place for $123 plus tax. Has anyone stayed in Seattle and got a nice hotel in the downtown area on Hotwire or Priceline? I'm not sure if we should also try Priceline and what would you recommend as a bid for end of August.

Thanks,

New to Seattle

On nov 28 I bid and won with $100 4* Monaco Seattle

Fees 22.52 for aug 5 2011

It took a while. I started at $50 and increased by $5 daily and started over twice before I finally won. Rack rate more than double. Good luck!

the sista,

I guess 8 months out is not too soon. I plan on booking the airline this week. Once we decide if we are going to do two days in Seattle and two in Hawaii, I will start bidding. I'm also hope to get a good hotel for that price. Is your hotel in the downtown area?

Thanks for the info.

Mary