Is Galaxy scheduled for a major rehab?

Fblack

Nothing has been announced yet.

There have been rumors for the past 3 years that she'll be done in the spring. Spring comes and goes, then they talk about the next spring.

She has a full schedule until spring 2008. Maybe then?

She is a wonderful and I've sailed her 3X with a 4th booked. She is not the most beautiful ship I have sail on, but the one I have had my best cruises and best service.

Agree with Rick and additionally don't believe any rumors until an official announcement from Celebrity. Prior to the Century, people on the ships supposedly in the know said things which in retrospect turned out to be totally clueless. Also, if she is scheduled to go into drydock it does not necessarily mean she is being refurbished. Most drydocks are scheduled to do things mechanically which can't be done at sea. I hate to be so pessimistic but it is reality.

Actually chessbriar, the Galaxy does Not have a full schedule. There is a 24 day gap from April 6, 2007 to May 1, 2007. Maybe the onboard cruise consultant was right?

I wonder if she will have a drydock then. Does anyone know why there is that gap?

We've sailed Galaxy before and loved her. Sailing Galaxy again on 5/21/07 and really looking forward to it - drydock or no drydock.

I called Celebrity and the rep checked their dry dock schedule. She said the Galaxy is not scheduled for a major dry dick until 2008. So I will not be sailing on her.

I was on the Mercury in April and the rooms were in very poor shape. The bed and mattress were trashed. the chair has a bad leg. The carpet was worn. I really enjoyed the Mercury, but I am not spending over $8000 for a European cruise on an older ship. I will probably book one of the HAL ships that have been upgraded via their signature of excellence program.

Actually chessbriar, the Galaxy does Not have a full schedule. There is a 24 day gap from April 6, 2007 to May 1, 2007. Maybe the onboard cruise consultant was right?

I wonder if she will have a drydock then. Does anyone know why there is that gap?

The whole in the schedule you are looking at is 2 charter cruise for the World Cup of Cricket. You can't see it, but the ships are fully booked at that time

Sorry Suzey, I see you already covered that.

I don't think all cruise lines wait for drydocking to do upgrades. I imagine that they change mattresses, linens, bedspreads and carpeting as needed.

I have been on four different Celebrity ships and all were in good repair.

What have people experienced on the most recent cruises in this regard?

I really prefer newer ships, but the Galaxy has an interesting itinerary in October 2007. Anyone know when it;s set to be redone?

I'm eyeing the October 6, 2007 sailing myself. I haven't sailed Celebrity since 1998 on the Mercury so I hope the Galaxy isn't a disappointment. There are so many mixed reviews lately....

Minor onboard issues are handled during the sailings. The drydocks are used to handle major mechanical issues.

Galaxy is in the process of having all the matresses changed over.

Do you know when the new builds are scheduled to launch?

Thanks.

Pincus

Thanks for the information chessbriar and suzeyQ - its nice to know why there is a gap in the schedule. Like I said, we sailed on Galaxy 2 years ago and it was fantastic. It will be a wonderful cruise next May, drydock or no drydock.

I called Celebrity and the rep checked their dry dock schedule. She said the Galaxy is not scheduled for a major dry dick until 2008. So I will not be sailing on her.

I was on the Mercury in April and the rooms were in very poor shape. The bed and mattress were trashed. the chair has a bad leg. The carpet was worn. I really enjoyed the Mercury, but I am not spending over $8000 for a European cruise on an older ship. I will probably book one of the HAL ships that have been upgraded via their signature of excellence program.

My Celebrity rep told me the same thing.

I agree about Mercury and I was aboard last October. Great food and service in the dining room but I would not cruise on her again.

Thanks for the information chessbriar and suzeyQ - its nice to know why there is a gap in the schedule. Like I said, we sailed on Galaxy 2 years ago and it was fantastic. It will be a wonderful cruise next May, drydock or no drydock.

I will be joining you on this May 21st cruise TLCC. It will be my first X cruise (we have done Disney and Carnival). I have never been out of N. America and I am truly truly looking forward to it....think it will be a great cruise. It is my big Christmas surprise for my 14 year old son who's biggest dream is to visit Italy!

Grey

We sailed on the Mercury in Feb.,2003 and she was in great shape. We sailed on the Galaxy in Sept. 2004 and the mattresses and carpet were in the worst condition I had ever seen. The ship was nice but not our cabin. But we are sailing on her again on Jan. 02, 2007 and hoping they got some new bedding and carpets. Jane

IMHO, if you go on the Galaxy with the expectation that she is an older ship and not brand spanking new, you will be more than pleased with the service and ambiance supplied by her crew. If you need bright, shiny and new, this is NOT the ship for you. Based on her itinerary alone, we had no hesitation sailing her again Christmas.

Photos in my sig below...including the ever popular, much discussed Stratosphere windows, which surprisingly have not yet crept into the discussion ;) ...

Archived