Great piano man Damien

billsrobb

A few weeks ago some one posted a very critical review of Damien, Piano player on Conquest. I was taken back by the posters comments about Damien but kept an open mind and went to hear and meet Damien. Here is my opinion. The man is sensational. He has the passion and desire to be the very best and you can see it and feel it. The biggest complaint seemed to center around Damien and his reluctance to play a song without first getting a tip or asking for $20 to play piano man. Sure he did this but it was in a fun way so to speak. He would jokingly say that but he would play the song for free and he was great. I was there every night and loved his performace every night. Like I said before I have never seen such great passion and desire in any other enterainer in my life. Kido's to Damien. I highly recommend that any one who sails the Conquest see his performance although he won't be there much longer.

A few weeks ago some one posted a very critical review of Damien, Piano player on Conquest. I was taken back by the posters comments about Damien but kept an open mind and went to hear and meet Damien. Here is my opinion. The man is sensational. He has the passion and desire to be the very best and you can see it and feel it. The biggest complaint seemed to center around Damien and his reluctance to play a song without first getting a tip or asking for $20 to play piano man. Sure he did this but it was in a fun way so to speak. He would jokingly say that but he would play the song for free and he was great. I was there every night and loved his performace every night. Like I said before I have never seen such great passion and desire in any other enterainer in my life. Kido's to Damien. I highly recommend that any one who sails the Conquest see his performance although he won't be there much longer.

Glad to hear you had such a great time. Perhaps some "constructive critique" has helped a good piano man become a better one!!!

I would have to say the same about Mark on the Triumph last week . . . to request a song one had to toss at least a dollar through his basketball net on his piano. But . . . it was well worth the many dollars spent during the evening. It wasn't just the music (which was fantastic), the singing (which was more than adaquate) . . . it was Mark's humor and easy going nature and relationship with all of us that crowded around his piano every night. I can only hope that the "Piano Man" on my cruise in January is half as much fun as Mark was on my cruise last week . . . :p

I'm glad you kept an open mind. Damian IS very talented and he does love his music. It's hard to please everyone... especially when there are 2900 passengers onboard at a time (give or take a few hundred). Someone is bound not to like him. However, I haven't heard many negative remarks about Damian in the 3 years I've known him. The company I work for sent a group of 400 people on the Conquest a few weeks ago, and the feedback I've gotten from a them has been ONLY positive.

He has 5 weeks left on the Conquest. Sorry to tired to do the math. :rolleyes: Damian is very talented and what some people don't realize when they post is that everyone has feelings and we need to all just play nice. Some people have great times on a cruise and some have crappy times. Your vacation is what YOU make of it -- not anyone else. Some people on here need to lighten up! YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!! ;)

I don't want to go to work. :mad: I want my omelet and please bring us a bucket of beer and a frozen mudslide please. :)

The Mustworks!!

I've cruised with Damian, we correspond by email from time to time as well. I'm glad he's going to be on the Conquest on our sailing, Danthemanwoods and I and my girlfriend will be front row most nights!

Damian can't stand the song "Piano Man", because it is SO cliche, and everyone thinks they're funny asking for it. Yes, he will play it (for free, no less), but as a musician myself, I gotta say there are about 3 songs that I will absolutely NOT play. One of them I actually quit a good-paying band for, and it was requested THREE TIMES in ONE SET, and PLAYED three times in one set! That was too much for even an old, seasoned pro like myself to take- we got no extra tips for it, either. :eek:

Damian is very passionate about music, and yes, it DOES show- ask the piano tuner in Galveston how many strings he has had to replace! It's HARD to break a piano string- in my 39 years of playing piano, I've never broken one, nor have I ever seen it done!!! He somehow managed to break SEVEN in ONE NITE! The thick BASS strings, no less!!!

Damian get's off on the 21st of October. He is a very gifted man, not just a piano man as most seem to view him. Our group last week spent every night in the piano bar with him!! Piano Man is very cliche for him, he will play it and he plays it well, as he does many many songs. But his passion is for his Rock Opera and we were fortunate enough to have him play us some songs from that as well!! We love you Damian!!

Just off of the Conquest. I must have just hit him at the wrong time.

Let me clarify that I love a good piano bar . . . "Pete's in Austin".

We entered the piano bar and sat there for 30 minutes. We listened to 2 songs in 30 minutes. I AM NOT EXAGGERATING. There was a lot of "inside" joking with a few of the other customers, but not much else.

Again . . . I notice that many on our same cruise enjoyed him, so I feel that I must clarify that I just must have hit him at the wrong time.

I would also like to add that there should not have been a "WRONG TIME".

The group BLOOD POWER was excellent.

We entered the piano bar and sat there for 30 minutes. We listened to 2 songs in 30 minutes. I AM NOT EXAGGERATING. There was a lot of "inside" joking with a few of the other customers, but not much else.

Again . . . I notice that many on our same cruise enjoyed him, so I feel that I must clarify that I just must have hit him at the wrong time.

It seems that some of us had the ability to connect with him and apparently some didn't. The inside joking Joopman is refering to is with the people from our group, we were there every night and in the same spot!! I don't believe that there was a "wrong time", maybe it just wasn't your scene!! To everyone else......Don't let a negative comment deter you from the piano bar!!

Damian can't stand the song "Piano Man", because it is SO cliche, and everyone thinks they're funny asking for it. Yes, he will play it (for free, no less), but as a musician myself, I gotta say there are about 3 songs that I will absolutely NOT play. One of them I actually quit a good-paying band for, and it was requested THREE TIMES in ONE SET, and PLAYED three times in one set! That was too much for even an old, seasoned pro like myself to take- we got no extra tips for it, either. :eek:

What are the 3 songs you will not play? Piano Man, while cliche, is really fun for the audience. Not sure why it's so horrible for a piano man to play. Haven't heard flack from 3 piano men for singing this (Victory, Conquest, Valor).

[/left]

What are the 3 songs you will not play? Piano Man, while cliche, is really fun for the audience. Not sure why it's so horrible for a piano man to play. Haven't heard flack from 3 piano men for singing this (Victory, Conquest, Valor).

As far as Damian goes, he will play it and is great at it. I really don't think there is a song that he does not play well. He also plays Bohemian Rhapsody which is awesome!! There are some songs that he prefers to play later in the evening once the crowd gets thicker. Again, I have nothing but positive things to say about him!! Don't think the piano bar, for me will ever be the same without him!

Heather . . . don't recall you in there during the time that I was in there, so it was not a personal attack on anyone. Whoever was in there is NOT the issue.

It was a comment about ME being in the piano bar, and the PIANO PLAYER playing 2 songs in 30 minutes.

The "inside" conversations were with about three customers (again . . . not YOU) and everyone else left there thinking . . . What is going on???

• Like I said . . . I was probably in there at the WRONG TIME (third time mentioned).
  • There shouldn't be a WRONG TIME (second time mentioned).

Heather . . . if you had a great time in the piano bar, then that makes me happy . . . SERIOUSLY.

Heather . . . don't recall you in there during the time that I was in there, so it was not a personal attack on anyone. Whoever was in there is NOT the issue.

It was a comment about ME being in the piano bar, and the PIANO PLAYER playing 2 songs in 30 minutes.

The "inside" conversations were with about three customers (again . . . not YOU) and everyone else left there thinking . . . What is going on???

• Like I said . . . I was probably in there at the WRONG TIME (third time mentioned).
  • There shouldn't be a WRONG TIME (second time mentioned).

Heather . . . if you had a great time in the piano bar, then that makes me happy . . . SERIOUSLY.

........And I don't recall seeing you either. Also, didn't say the conversation was with me specifically, but people from our group.....or it could have been others that he connected with, obviously not you! Again, myself, along with others from our roll call, were in there every night and closed it down every night. As for 30 minutes to play 2 songs, did you mention what the songs were and how he played them? You seem to only be concerned that you wasted 30 minutes of your life in the piano bar. Sorry the experience was not the same for you!! Again.....obviously not your scene!! Glad you spent your time with Blood Power!! Enough said, to each his own!!

It was no one from our group. As far as being "connected" . . . that was not my intent when I entered the bar. My intent was to be entertained. I was connected with my wife.

You are so correct. That was not my scene.

I like the piano bar scenes in Houston . . . on the Riverwalk in San Antonio . . . West End in Dallas . . . on 6th St. in Austin (Pete's . . . THE BEST). Those are more to my liking, only because they CONTINUOUSLY play more than 2 songs in 30 minutes. It is ALWAYS continuous entertainment.

I must admit that I am a bit confused at your continuous responses to my OPINION. I have my opinion, and you have your opinion. I have already said that your opinion is respected and that I was happy that you had such a great time.

I guage my opinion on the NUMEROUS piano bars that I have frequented. I have just seen better . . . MUCH BETTER. I must respect your opinion because there are NUMEROUS posters on here that support his manner of entertainment. Again . . . I respect your opinion.

Did I mention that it was probably just a matter timing on my part (4th time)???

You are so correct. That was not my scene.

I like the piano bar scenes in Houston . . . on the Riverwalk in San Antonio . . . on 6th St. in Austin. Those are more to my liking, only because they CONTINUOUSLY play more than 2 songs in 30 minutes. It is ALWAYS continuous entertainment.

I must admit that I am a bit confused at your continuous responses to my OPINION. I have my opinion, and you have your opinion. I have already said that your opinion is respected and that I was happy that you had such a great time.

I guage my opinion on the NUMEROUS piano bars that I have frequented. I have just seen better . . . MUCH BETTER. I must respect your opinion because there are NUMEROUS posters on here that support his manner of entertainment. Again . . . I respect your opinion.

Did I mention that it was probably just a matter timing on my part (4th time)???

As I already said, to each his own!

Joopman Great meeting you on the cruise. You are correct BLOOD POWER was great too. I spent my nights between them and Damien.

Robb

Joopman and Heather and Robb it was nice meeting everyone on our cruise. I always leave a cruise feeling I have made many friends. That is what I like about cruising.

The piano bar is always different either it is on a boat or in a club. They are not all the same. Yes I did enjoy Damian very much but we have been friends for 2 years and email and talk on a regular basis. Joopman I am sorry you were disappointed. If you ever do cruise with him I hope you give him another chance. He really is good. On that note I will just say to the insiders:

SWEET MILLER LITE

[/left]

The top three on my "list"...

1) "Crazy" by Willie Nelson. Sung by Patsy Cline. Always hated that song, ever since I was a little kid. Don't ask me why, it's a visceral thing, I guess. To play it 3 times in ONE SET (45 mins. to an hour) is TOO MUCH. Once a night is too much for me.

2) "Achy Breaky Heart" by Billy Ray Cyrus. Need I say more?

3) "She Bang" by Ricky Martin. As sung also by William Hung. Puh-leeze!

The top three on my "list"...

1) "Crazy" by Willie Nelson. Sung by Patsy Cline. Always hated that song, ever since I was a little kid. Don't ask me why, it's a visceral thing, I guess. To play it 3 times in ONE SET (45 mins. to an hour) is TOO MUCH. Once a night is too much for me.

2) "Achy Breaky Heart" by Billy Ray Cyrus. Need I say more?

3) "She Bang" by Ricky Martin. As sung also by William Hung. Puh-leeze!

Oh, good. I would never ask for those 3. I was afraid you were going to name some of my favorite piano bar songs!

Joopman and Heather and Robb it was nice meeting everyone on our cruise. I always leave a cruise feeling I have made many friends. That is what I like about cruising.

The piano bar is always different either it is on a boat or in a club. They are not all the same. Yes I did enjoy Damian very much but we have been friends for 2 years and email and talk on a regular basis. Joopman I am sorry you were disappointed. If you ever do cruise with him I hope you give him another chance. He really is good. On that note I will just say to the insiders:

SWEET MILLER LITE

Bahmp, Bahmp, Bahmp, Bahmp

Cold, Ice cold Beer, reaching out......................

Thanks for setting us straight Paige, your being so diplomatic!!:D

Archived