Just starting my research . . .

SandraLee

How do you get from Seward to Anchorage? Is it a good idea to take the Cruise line transportation? We are planning on spending one night in Anchorage before our flight leaves. Is it possible to rent a car in Seward.

Is there a scenic train?

We took the Alaskan Railroad --on our own. We went on Holland America and at that time, a year ago last May, the other alternative was a bus the cruise line offered which followed some of the route, but not the most scenic part of it and cost the same or even a bit more. We had a beautiful trip! Saw lots of wildlife (dali sheep, bear, a moose) and the scenery was majestic. The only down-side was that when we got to the end of the rail line we had to get to the ship - several long blocks away - on our own by taxi or local shuttle bus, or else, as we did, rolling our luggage behind us to the port in a light rain. We were some of the very first onto the ship and had an absolutely glorious week with almost perfect weather - especially at College Fjord and Glacier Bay.

You need to first decide what is your priority - spending time in Seward or Anchorage. If it is Seward, you can rent a car from Hertz (book early!!!) and drive around, take a glacier cruise, etc. You can take the 6:45 PM train to Anchorage after dropping off the rental car. Another option is to rent the car one-way and drive to Anchorage. The drive is beautiful (did it on the 9th) and with a car you can make photo stops along the way.

If you want to spend time in Anchorage, there are a couple of bus services that offer morning runs. Again, book early!!! You can rent a car in Anchorage and drive around there.

I have attached a link from the Anchorage Visitor's website showing the cruise transfer options for Seward to Anchorage.

http://www.anchorage.net/914.cfm

Cruise transfers are expensive so if you plan ahead, you can do it on your own cheaper and have more flexibility. RC was charging $99 pp for a transfer. I don't know what the other cruiselines charge. There were 6 in my group. We rented a mini van from Hertz. It was $320 for the one-way rental fee plus about $40 for gas. We made out better than through the cruiseline and were able to stop at Portage Glacier and along the highway for photos.

Since you have 1 overnight in Anchorage, I suggest you take the regular run of the Alaska RR to Anchorage- leaving at 6pm, not 6:45pm. Get off your ship early for a look around, top tour recommendation is a Kenai Fjord tour leaving at 11:30am, will store your luggage or can check it at the depot prior. 2 block walk to the depot after the 5:30pm return, or shuttle available.

And it's about 6:45am, if it's ship contracted leaving from Seward. :)

6:45 AM! Now I get it! I was wondering why it would be 45 minutes different! Makes more sense now.

I'm sure we'll hang in Seward for the day and take the regular schedule trip at 6:45 pm.

Thanks for clearing it up.

6:45 AM! Now I get it! I was wondering why it would be 45 minutes different! Makes more sense now.

I'm sure we'll hang in Seward for the day and take the regular schedule trip at 6:45 pm.

Thanks for clearing it up.

It's 6pm, leaving Seward to Anchorage. :)

So glad you asked this question I am trying to figure out all our options. We think that we would like to take the Celeberity Summit Northbound. And I was thinking that maybe the train to Anchorage would be a nice "cool down" after an action packed 7 day cruise. And then Fly home from Anchorage. (which I am assuming will be cheaper since it is a major airport??)

I hadn't really thought about spending a day in anchorage-- Silly me thought it might be like every other major us city???? Is anchorage a good place to tour???

So glad you asked this question I am trying to figure out all our options. We think that we would like to take the Celeberity Summit Northbound. And I was thinking that maybe the train to Anchorage would be a nice "cool down" after an action packed 7 day cruise. And then Fly home from Anchorage. (which I am assuming will be cheaper since it is a major airport??)

I hadn't really thought about spending a day in anchorage-- Silly me thought it might be like every other major us city???? Is anchorage a good place to tour???

YES Anchorage is wonderful to tour, BUT the REAL gem is Seward, don't miss this opportunity. :) Add a few days- how often are you going to get to Alaska- take advantage!!!

It's often said even by residents that the best thing about Anchorage is that it's really close to Alaska. It's a city, with a few good spots to see as all cities do - the Chugach Mountains that frame it (where "Alaska" begins) are its best feature, though.

Murray

Archived