Denali hotels

sandiego1

We are cruising to Alaska June 2007 and I've started to look at hotels in Denali. We will likely stay 2 or 3 nights since we like to day hike and want to really experience the area on our 1st trip to Alaska.

Does anyone have any hotel recommendations?

I looked on-line a bit and it appears that the hotels haven't opened up reservations yet for 2007. Does anyone know when they will be available?

Thanks in advance!

FYI - wife and I just stayed there this weekend. Absolutely wonderful place. We had the Moondream room and paid $109.00 per night (off season rate of course). Room had a large deck, king bed, jacuzzi, and a wonderful selection of cereals, breads, fruit, etc. for breakfast (included in the price). You're about 15 minutes from "Glitter Gulch" hotels and park headquarters by car. Oh yes, place is very quiet too. This is our third visit to Lakeview Inn and we continually highly recommend it to people who ask.

We are also staying at the Denali Lakeview Inn for 2 nights next June. I liked the idea that it is "down the road" from glitter gulch - away from all the hustle/bustle and tourist stuff. I've read many great reviews and I think it will be a marvelously relaxing place to stay! Oh, by the way, it is in Healy if you are looking it up on trip advisor, etc. I understand it is about 10 minutes north of the Denali Park entrance

We are also staying at the Denali Lakeview Inn for 2 nights next June. I liked the idea that it is "down the road" from glitter gulch - away from all the hustle/bustle and tourist stuff. I've read many great reviews and I think it will be a marvelously relaxing place to stay! Oh, by the way, it is in Healy if you are looking it up on trip advisor, etc. I understand it is about 10 minutes north of the Denali Park entrance

Since you mentioned Trip Advisor - here are the reviews: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g31007-d501104-Reviews-Denali_Lakeview_Inn-Healy_Alaska.html

Twice I have stayed at McKinley Creekside Cabins. It appears to be about as far south of the park entrance as the Lakeview Inn is north. You get your own cabin but all are relatively close to each other. About $125-$175/night depending on how big of a cabin, how many bedrooms, etc you want. They have a restaurant onsite that is reasonably priced.

www.mckinleycabins.com

They don't have a shuttle to/from the park so you really need a car if you are going to stay there. Clean and quiet.

We stayed 3 nights at McKinley Chalets (used coupon from Toursaver for one night) and it was fine. Our room was on the back of the property, near the river, so even though it was in the middle of Glitter Gulch, it seemed secluded. They had a shuttle bus that came by our building - I'm sure it went over to the park.

We are cruising to Alaska June 2007 and I've started to look at hotels in Denali. We will likely stay 2 or 3 nights since we like to day hike and want to really experience the area on our 1st trip to Alaska.

Does anyone have any hotel recommendations?

I looked on-line a bit and it appears that the hotels haven't opened up reservations yet for 2007. Does anyone know when they will be available?

Thanks in advance!

Denali Lakeview Inn sure seems to get the votes! I just can't tell from their website if they offer a shuttle to the park. If not, try the McKinley Chalets that were mentioned. I also find that some of the places don't take reservations until later this year or early next year. Find out when they start accepting reservations and reserve when they start.

I think day hiking in Denali is a great idea. I really enjoy that myself. You can take the shuttle busses into the park and get off anywhere to hike, then get back on the bus. Generally I suggest that you do your hiking on the return part of the trip. There is a good book with hiking suggestions that I have but I don't recall the name. It might be the one by Ike Waits. But I have another one too. There are very few trails in the park, so basically the book gives you ideas where the riverbeds are, hiking around certain mountains, and other general guidelines. We hiked around Stony Hill near mile 63 and it was great. Friends hiked up Stony Hill and it was strenuous but they enjoyed it. Don't let the word "hill" fool you - anywhere else besides Alaska it would be called a mountain:D

If the Mountain is out, I strongly suggest going to Wonder Lake. The views of Denali from there are incredible. Also, there is a nice trail there called McKinley Bar Trail that brings you to the McKinley River Bar, maybe a 2 hour round trip hike or longer if you stop, have lunch en route, etc. It is the only trail in the park that I know of besides those near the entrance.

If you are at Denali for 3 nights, consider getting the 3-for-2 shuttle bus pass. You pay for 2 days and get the third day free. The destination must be the same, but you don't need to go as far as that destination each day - you can get off the bus and take a different bus back.

Another option to consider to avoid the long bus ride into the park each day if hiking is a main event for you, is to stay at the Skyline Lodge in Kantishna. Very reasonable rates (about $175/night for two). You can buy your meals from them and eat with their staff or bring your own food. That way you can get an early bus from there to hiking destinations within the park. Plus, you are deep inside the park at night when Mt. McKinley is often visible. Just a thought.

Depending on how early in June you are there, you might still be battling snow. The park road usually is not open all the way to Wonder Lake and Kantishna until about June 8, weather permitting.

Denali Lakeview Inn sure seems to get the votes! I just can't tell from their website if they offer a shuttle to the park. If not, try the McKinley Chalets that were mentioned.

You do need a car to stay at the Denali Lakeview Inn. Just wondering how the OP is getting to Denali...train?

We stayed at the Skyline Lodge in Kantishna, the headquarters and lodging for the Kantishna Air pilots, for 3 nights in August 2005. We flew in from the Denali park airstrip next to the train station. We took the camper shuttle buses from Kantishna towards the entrance and then took the shuttle bus back to Kantishna in the afternoon. The buses were practically empty, mostly professional photographers and campers. Wonder Lake is 5 miles away from the Skyline Lodge.

We wanted to stay in the park but couldn't seeing paying $400 per person per night with a minimum of 3 to 4 days at the Backcountry Lodge, Kantishna Roadhouse, Camp Denali or North Face Lodge. Skyline Lodge was $175.00 for night for both of us with an additional $25 per person for communal meals. Many of the other guests were friends of the pilots or repeat guests. You can take the shuttle bus to Kantishna as an alternative to flying in.

To catch a 6:30 shuttle, staying at Glitter Gulch is the best idea for convenience. I like the Denali Bluffs for good dollar value in a fairly new property. Some of the rooms have great views. The restaurant is good and reasonably priced as well.

Murray

My wife and I stayed there for two nights at the beginning of August and were generally very pleased with the price and accomodations. However, if possible avoid the Floral room, it's too small. We moved to (I think) the Deck Room, which was much better. We had the Inn folks prepare bag lunches for us to eat on our shuttle bus tour of Denali; they were very good.

Leo

One more note re: Skyline Lodge. If you stay there, you pay only once for the camper bus. This year it was $24.25 and you can use any of the shuttle or camper busses as long as you are staying at Skyline Lodge. You just can't return east past mile 20. But unless you are leaving the park for good, there is no reason you would want to do that anyway.

• 1 month later...
To catch a 6:30 shuttle, staying at Glitter Gulch is the best idea for convenience. I like the Denali Bluffs for good dollar value in a fairly new property. Some of the rooms have great views. The restaurant is good and reasonably priced as well.

Murray

Do you need a car to stay at the Denali Bluffs? Were there any disadvantages to the place?

Thanks, Gale

Do you need a car to stay at the Denali Bluffs? Were there any disadvantages to the place?

Thanks, Gale

It is way up on a hill, they do have a shuttle, but there may be waits for it. A car is a big benefit for meal and tour options.

Archived