Jewel leaving Boston in 2007?

We were booked on Jewel 2007 repo cruise from Boston to FLL. And after 4 months since we booked, RCCL desided to deploy more ships to Europe. We got a " stinky" offer to go on Explorer from NY in the summer along with some on board credit. I, personally , did not like the way RCCL handled completely sold out ship. The only people who had taking the offer on transatlantic sailing or Explorer could use offered on board credit or a very few others, who got lucky and got incompetent CS rep and got on board credit that way.

Rest of us were denied to get on board credit for canceled cruise to use on any other RCCL or X cruise. And, attitude in Deployment dept was plain -

We don't care if you are not satisfied.....

Melissa -

I was booked on the Jewel 2007 transatlantic, and also had clients booked on the same cruise and Canada/NE cruises in 2007. We noticed that all those sailings had N/a in room availability, and a call to reservations was answered that these sailings were all code red. We know code red means something is going to happen, and happen it did. The Jewel is scheduled for refit of one of their engines to enable it to burn a cheaper fuel when it is in port (to keep the hotel services, i.e., air conditioning, lights, etc., going), and it could be done in Europe in October. Therefore, all the 2007 Boston sailings were cancelled. As a TA, I received a fax on Friday with all the affected reservations listed, along with a number to call on Monday for redeployment information. The fax listed all the cruises that RCI was offering as replacements with onboard credit. After contacting them on Monday, all my clients were rebooked and happy with the info. I don't want to share what happened on these boards, but if you want to contact me via e-mail, I would be glad to share with you. I know of other TA's who were happy with the outcome, and some others who were not so happy. Booking so far out, (and I am guilty of this) you have to be prepared for things happening. I am very disappointed that Jewel will NOT be coming to Boston next year, as that has been a very good seller for us. RCI has announced that Jewel will return to Boston in 2008, so that's good news, but I'm still sad that this wonderful ship will not be coming here in 2007. If you would like to contact me, please send me an e-mail address, and I will get back to you.

Hope this is a help to you.

We were booked on Jewel 2007 repo cruise from Boston to FLL. And after 4 months since we booked, RCCL decided to deploy more ships to Europe. We got a " stinky" offer to go on Explorer from NY in the summer along with some on board credit. I, personally , did not like the way RCCL handled completely sold out ship. The only people who had taking the offer on transatlantic sailing or Explorer could use offered on board credit or a very few others, who got lucky and got incompetent CS rep and got on board credit that way.

Rest of us were denied to get on board credit for canceled cruise to use on any other RCCL or X cruise. And, attitude in Deployment dept was plain -

We were booked on the same and I share Isabella's opinions. I wasn't pleased with the way RCCL handled this. They didn't even bother to contact me, and when I contacted them, I kept getting transferred. No one was willing to help.

The offer was 1) for a different class ship 2) Different route (a given since the other one was a repo) and 3) Totally different dates.

I had two other cruises scheduled and they would not offer the OBC for those sailings.

###

Melissa -

I was booked on the Jewel 2007 transatlantic, and also had clients booked on the same cruise and Canada/NE cruises in 2007. We noticed that all those sailings had N/a in room availability, and a call to reservations was answered that these sailings were all code red. We know code red means something is going to happen, and happen it did. The Jewel is scheduled for refit of one of their engines to enable it to burn a cheaper fuel when it is in port (to keep the hotel services, i.e., air conditioning, lights, etc., going), and it could be done in Europe in October. Therefore, all the 2007 Boston sailings were cancelled. As a TA, I received a fax on Friday with all the affected reservations listed, along with a number to call on Monday for redeployment information. The fax listed all the cruises that RCI was offering as replacements with onboard credit. After contacting them on Monday, all my clients were rebooked and happy with the info. I don't want to share what happened on these boards, but if you want to contact me via e-mail, I would be glad to share with you. I know of other TA's who were happy with the outcome, and some others who were not so happy. Booking so far out, (and I am guilty of this) you have to be prepared for things happening. I am very disappointed that Jewel will NOT be coming to Boston next year, as that has been a very good seller for us. RCI has announced that Jewel will return to Boston in 2008, so that's good news, but I'm still sad that this wonderful ship will not be coming here in 2007. If you would like to contact me, please send me an e-mail address, and I will get back to you.

Hope this is a help to you.

We sailed the Jewel in 2005, one year ago today as a matter of fact! We had planned to book this year, but the Canada Itinerary was not of interest to us since many of the ports are within driving distance for us on Cape Cod. We were disappointed when 2007 was again to be Canada. Did feel badly for those booked before the changes.

Any word on if 2008 will be Canada/New England or go back to Bermuda/Caribbean?

We are doing the Explorer out of NJ, but really liked the convenience of Boston. Will hope and pray the Jewel returns and heads south!!!!

We sailed the Jewel in 2005, one year ago today as a matter of fact! We had planned to book this year, but the Canada Itinerary was not of interest to us since many of the ports are within driving distance for us on Cape Cod. We were disappointed when 2007 was again to be Canada. Did feel badly for those booked before the changes.

Any word on if 2008 will be Canada/New England or go back to Bermuda/Caribbean?

We are doing the Explorer out of NJ, but really liked the convenience of Boston. Will hope and pray the Jewel returns and heads south!!!!

No word on what the itinerary will be in 2008 and actually no word what ship will be sailing from Boston, only a vague promise from an RCI spokesman and someone from Massport that RCI has requested docking space in Boston for 2008.:(

The Jewel situation is not news. It has been known and discussed on the boards since mid to late July, and most people have adjusted to the fact.

What is hopeful, however, is the more recent indication that RCI will return to Boston with one of its ships in 2008. Next year Boston will only be a port of call on some RCI itineraries.:)

We were booked on Jewel 2007 repo cruise from Boston to FLL. And after 4 months since we booked, RCCL desided to deploy more ships to Europe. We got a " stinky" offer to go on Explorer from NY in the summer along with some on board credit. I, personally , did not like the way RCCL handled completely sold out ship. The only people who had taking the offer on transatlantic sailing or Explorer could use offered on board credit or a very few others, who got lucky and got incompetent CS rep and got on board credit that way.

We too were booked on the repo from Boston to FLL. Isabella nailed with "what we were offered." Stinky is a "very nice" way of putting it. We too didn't take the offer. I wish we could have gotten the on board credit because we a sailing on the Jewel 10/14/2006 to Canada from Boston. But NOOOOOO. It was so badly handled. We ended up booking on Hal Noordam 10/31/2007. It's close to what the Jewel was, but it is round trip NY to NY.

We are booked on the Jewel in February 2008 and it is definitely NOT from Boston...it is Caribbean RT from Fort Lauderdale. EECK, Boston in Feb....Brrrrr. But obbviously this far out, things can change.

The difference is that Jewel was never scheduled to be in Boston in February. For the past few years the Jewel has been sailing from Boston in September and October. Next year, because of a scheduled drydocking and changes in itineraries the cruises to and from Boston were cancelled. The Jewel of the Seas will not be here at all, nor will any RCI ship use Boston as a departure port during that period of time. We are hopeful that the quote from Massport and RCI about the line returning to Boston in 2008 is accurate.

Good morning Bill..

I wonder with all the techie advances, newer ships and the ability to sail year round out of New York.. has anyone knowledge of any consideration given to doing the same out of Boston? certainly some of the NCL 10 day cruises out of NYC in January could do the same from Boston albeit with one less island visit? wouldnt that be wonderful? couldnt be any worse than Alaska in September or early May. just wishful thinking..

Weary

Weary, I don't know the answer to your question. I'm not enthusiastic about the idea of sailing out of any port in the Northeast in the dead of winter, but apparently the experience out of NY has been quite successful and is being imitated by several cruiselines now. I do think that NY has the advantage of better airlift from most parts of the country, but if there get to be too many ships sailing from NYC, Boston would be a good alternative. Wish I still knew folks from Massport so that I could see if such a suggestion might be considered.

We should get our Jewel documents tomorrow, so we'll be doing the doc dance.:)

Perhaps the lines have done feasability studies but I for one like having ships in the northeast to sail in winter. If NCL and HAL can do it there is profit in it. NCL has pioneered many ideas that others eventually catch on to and this is one.

RCI is going to be sailing Explorer from Bayonne in winter in the future but they are 9 and 12 night itineraries. It makes it tough for the working people to get that much time off. As agents they want us to concentrate efforts on so that she can stay there but I think it will be tough. Seven and nines would be better in my opinion.

As for Boston, I also wonder why we don't have more choices from this port. Being two hours away from our area it would be great for VT/NH and Maine.

I think the lines are beginning to figure it out and about time too.

HI GANG...HI BILL...HI WEARY...HI ISABELLA...HI CHIEF!!! And I hope I did not forget anyone else!!! LOL!!!

Sailing from New York in winter used to be a very common thing...even without stabilizers...YIKES!!!:eek:

WEARY!!! Sailing from Boston in Winter would just be plain foolhardy...LOL!!!

Let's hope the JEWEL will return to Boston...along with more ships. Boston is a great port to sail from...no doubt about it.:D

ROSS

Archived