Half Moon Cay questions

desert sand

Are any of the beach chairs free?

Is the BBQ provided by the ship? What kind of food?

Are there any walking trails nearby?

Is there shopping?

Can soft drinks be purchased? at ship price?

Does the ship provide beach towels or do we bring our own?

What is the site people check to see how many ships will be at the same port on the same day?

Thank you.

There are a lot of free beach lounge chairs. You can rent a blue shell for $9 -- 2 lounge chairs and the shell -- all day for that price -- really great!!

There is a walking trail -- have not done that.

Yes you can buy soft drinks - same rpice as on the ship -- it goes onto your ship board account -- with the 15% gratuity.

The ship does provide beach towels -- pick up 1 or 2 per person from a table at the gangway as you get onto the tender. As this is a tendering port, the sooner you go to the show lounge and get your tender tickets, the sooner you can go ashore.

Shops -- there is one HAL shop - normal beach stuff - anything you buy here goes onto your shipboard account.

There are a few "island" shops - hair braiding, dolls, a couple of other hand creafts, -- cash only.

Chairs are free. When we went last year and for the cruise in two weeks (yes two weeks :D ) we got a clamshell. I want to say $10 and it covers two chairs. Protects from the sun and well worth the money. I had a nice nap under ours last year.

Towels are available at each port to be taken off the ship. You must return them when you come back. They will have a big laundry bin for them.

Yes on walking trails, yes on shopping. Some of the excursions are nice also. We did kayaking and loved it. I wanted to do the bikes, but DD is not old enough yet.

Food was perfect for the day! It is provided. Beverages are par with what you pay on the ship.

Have fun!!!! It is one of the most beautiful and peaceful places I have been. I just wish there were not two DAM ships there on our cruise in two weeks (yes two weeks :D ).

Let us know if you need anything else.

There are a lot of free beach lounge chairs. You can rent a blue shell for $9 -- 2 lounge chairs and the shell -- all day for that price -- really great!!

There is a walking trail -- have not done that.

Yes you can buy soft drinks - same rpice as on the ship -- it goes onto your ship board account -- with the 15% gratuity.

Can you rent the clams when you get there?

All of the chairs are free although there are usually two associated with the clamshells. We did one 2 years ago and there is NO airflow at all. Got a little warm especially this time of year.

That first year we did the BBQ and it is good. Nice seating area except there are a few flies. However, you just might lose a nice spot if your entire group goes to the food at once. We had a wonderful hammock and some shade and although we did not actually lose them, an entire tribe of rudeness plunked themselves all around us and made it very uncomfortable to remain. Very upsetting to say the least. Now we do the cabana and even are doing the butler again. That is really living and it is the one extravagant thing we do when we sail with HAL. We shared it with a nice couple last year that we met on the roll call board and this year we are doing the same. If you drink (we don't), if you like the PInnacle Grill's food (we do), and if you like a bit more comfort and still enjoy the sand and water, this is the way to go.

Wonderful spot. On our cruise this time, it is the last stop. Usually it is the first one. I think it will be especially wonderful on the last day of the cruise.

If you order it before you leave the ship, they give you a voucher to present to the "clamshell man". You can wait until you get ashore and order it there. It will be charged to your onboard account. Then go to the "camshell man" and he will designate one as your rental.First come ,first served.

HTH

Randy

How do you keep your clamshell "reserved" if you leave for a walk, food, etc?

Can you rent the bikes without taking the guided ride through the ships tours?

Are there restrictions on where you can walk or snorkle without doing a tour?

Thanks!!

i wanted to ask about the snorkeling as well. You try to snorkel once or twice on each cruise (well I do) DH doesn't snorkel so I am always looking for a chance to see the underwater life and yet, not desert him. IF we choose just a snorkeling trip he has nothing to do. The private island sounds like a great place for both of us to enjoy ourselves. NMnita

There is an area by the rocks near the channel where the tenders enter that you can snorkel on your own without being part of a tour. It's a short swim; very near the beach and there are always people snorkeling there. I have no idea how good or bad it is...especially since last years hurricanes.

Your DH can comfortably remain on the beach while you snorkel.

One person in our party must use a walker to get around.Will he be able to get around on HMC? Are there paved areas or is it all sand?

Obviously, the main attraction at HMC is the beach. However, there are paved areas around the tender dock, the shops, ice cream, bar, etc. From there there is a hard path (but I think not paved) to the BBQ and massage areas. There is a tram that runs from the tender dock to the BBQ.

There is a pretty good map on my HMC site

Cabana at Half Moon Cay

But to be honest, he might be just as happy staying on the ship and enjoying the pool deck while it is uncrowded!

Have a GREAT cruise!

Only the clam shells that are rented and paid for have the poles to hold them open. The clam shell "boy" takes one to the shell and puts it up for you. We had someone try to take ours while we were gone but we just moved their stuff out of the way and told them when they came back.

Only the clam shells that are rented and paid for have the poles to hold them open. The clam shell "boy" takes one to the shell and puts it up for you. We had someone try to take ours while we were gone but we just moved their stuff out of the way and told them when they came back.

The snorkeling at HMC is very nice. There are some artificial areas that give the fish some nice spots. Along the rocks on the left as you swim out and the rocks straight out are good areas. Not much coral. If you are a real enthusiast and have done Cozulmel or Hawaii, then you will be disappointed. But just for a lark it is nice. They rent equipment on the beach. There is also an excursion where they will take you by boat that I hear is pretty decent but I have not done that.

In my previous post I said I am glad that HMC is our last stop. However, the snorkeling at HMC is real easy and little wave action so it is a fairly easy swim. I have new fins and using them at HMC would be good way to break them in and break out the muscles you haven't used in a long time. Oh, well.

We were at HMC while Wilma was churning around and then hit Florida. It did not seem to disturb anything and there was no major problems (with the reef area) after the storms blew through 2 years ago.

If you want a clam, GET IT ON BOARD! With 2 ships, you would be very lucky to get one when you get ashore. Our first trip there we were 1 ship (Zuiderdam) and I don't think there were any free ones.

Thanks Drdaddy,

I have snorkeled all over the caribbean and in Hawaii. I wasn't all that impressed with Hawaii after doing Roatan which is awesome. So is Grand Cayman, but so often the water is just a little to choppie or is it choppy? I think I will give HMC a try. Again, thanks to all of you for your help.

NMNita

Obviously, the main attraction at HMC is the beach. However, there are paved areas around the tender dock, the shops, ice cream, bar, etc. From there there is a hard path (but I think not paved) to the BBQ and massage areas. There is a tram that runs from the tender dock to the BBQ.

There is a pretty good map on my HMC site

Cabana at Half Moon Cay

But to be honest, he might be just as happy staying on the ship and enjoying the pool deck while it is uncrowded!

Have a GREAT cruise!

Thanks for the response and the map was an added dividend. Now that he knows he can get to the bar, he just might go for it! (:>)

Thanks to all of you that have provided info.... these were a lot of questions I wanted to know the answers too.... LOTS OF INFO! :) Was able to do the DOC DANCE today:D (Zuiderdam 10-28) and HMC will be our last stop...sounds like a Grand finale to a perfect week.... Dan

Archived