Fitness Center, on the Maasdam?

sassy~one

Hi Sassy, I assume it's similar to the Volendam in which case it should be great. Lots of treadmills facing huge glass windows to look out over the ocean, some bikes, a few weight stations and some free weights. I certainly plan on using the facility during our cruise.

SamKade, no charge that I am aware of for the fitness center itself.

Cheers,

We used the gym a number of times during our August cruises and enjoyed particularly the treadmills. At Maasdam's drydock, flatscreen tv's were installed on each treadmill. It's great to be able to choose from all of the ship's channels and watch what you want.

I also like the bikes and stairsteppers.

I think we waited for a bike only once and never had to wait to use a treadmill.

There are various classes you can sign up for and I think they may have a moderate charge.

I saw pilates machine also.

I think the gym is complete enouogh to please just about all vacationers. It may n9ot be just like your gym at home but I think it great to have free use of it while on the ship.

Generically (applying to all cruise lines) I've heard that early morning is a good (slow) time to use the gym. Do you think that's the case on HAL as well? I have a weird body clock and typically cannot sleep in on vacation (whereas my husband can...Hate him!) So getting up and going to the gym while he sleeps in before breakfast might work for me--if it's not a crush in the gym.....

You'd be surprised how many people get up very early to go to the gym. I've done it a few times. We've never seen the gym so overly jam packed that we had to wait too long for a machine. They put a thirty minute limit on treadmills etc if there are people waiting. I've also see 'sign up boards' so no question who is next.

Go when suits you. Each group of guests will have varying numbers of who goes to the gym/when. You'll learn the 'trend' quickly and plan your exercise time accordingly.

Don't forget the fabulous wrap around Promenade Deck for really enjoyable walking.

I might try to do my walking on the promenade deck (though without a treadmill, I do tend to "cheat" and slow down my pace:rolleyes: ) but I like to use weights/weight machines as well. The photos I've seen of the fitness rooms look lovely--I'm very excited. I know I have to be excited about the fitness room because I read that 10-day cruise menu thread and that really got me excited!:p

Archived