Other Cruise Lines: Princess, NCL

I've only cruised on Royal Caribbean. I'm curious about the other cruise lines. Are they any better than RCL? I'm thinking about booking a cruise, but maybe trying a different line. I have noticed, though, that RCL's prices are significantly higher online than Princess or NCL e.g. $200 higher per person.

Rich

All cruises are good, they're merely different, and some will be considered better than others, based on your personal preferences. We've been on RCCL many times, Princess, Celebrity, and Carnival. Here's how I'd summarize the differences.

RCCL has more family type activities and night entertainment. Princess rolls up the sidewalks earlier than the others, and less on the pool area activities. Carnival is for the partying younger crowd. I'd align Celebrity with RCCL but more upscale - service is a bit better. I haven't been on HAL, but we hear it caters to the older person.

The thing to do is to go to each of their cruise critic forums and read; and open a thread on each one, asking what people like about (fill in the line).

All lines do well on service and have good entertainment. Food quality can vary somewhat, but this is all personal opinion.

We go on cruises to escape, relax, and have a good time, and we achieve that regardless of who we're sailing with.

I recently sailed on NCL and today I was onboard the Island Princess. Both new, big ships about the size at Radiance class-- Island Princess was slightly larger than Radiance class. Based on these recent experiences, I would take RCI over either of these!

Here are my opinions and comparisons of each:

NCL-- all around aweful. Gaudy ships, cheaply furnished/decorated, mediocre service at best, less than edible food at times. Small cabins and suites, expensive, very weak drinks, horrible buffet. FREE STYLE dinner-- horrible, and the point of freestyle is mute considering you pretty much need to reserve the specialty restaurants the second you get onboard-- so during the week you are dining on schedule.

PRINCESS-- Horrible layout, cheap furniture (the chairs and tables in Sabatini's reminded me of a senior citizens rec hall in FL!) Service was rushed and robotic-- no smiles and hello's when passing crew.. no "you're welcome.. or "my pleasure" when you said thanks. Small cabins and suites. Drink prices were reasonable, buffet layout is the worst I've ever experienced and the food wasn't worth the wait and aggrevation. Main dining room food was disgusting-- with the exception of the rolls, which most of eat a lot of since the food was nasty. Coffee was horrid.

RCI-- Beautiful ships, great layout, very clean. Excellent service from a crew that is genuine and fun. Good size, functional cabins and suites. Good food and great buffet. Good drinks at good prices.

The choice is yours, but that's what I experienced, and is why RCI is the only way I go.

Once very loyal NCL passengers. Loved Norway. Enjoyed the entire line.

They have slipped, not slightly, dramatically. Quality of the product is down, way down. They got in financial trouble a few years back, got bought out by a firm in the Orient. It has gone downhill from there. Just my opinion.

Princess? Yes, in some caes superior to RCI, in others, the same, in a few, a bit lower. BUT, not enough anywhere to differentiate between the two. You would not go wrong trying Princess.

Well first off any cruise is a good cruise. I have been on 2 RCI cruises, 1 Carnival and 1 NCL.

I think one thing that is important is the destination you are going on. I wanted to go to Bermuda and chose NCL because I liked the idea of staying at one port for 3.5 days. It was an older Ship the Majesty which had a lot of character but not really up to newer ships as far as what it has. I agree freestyle is not big deal unless you are just one of those people who refuse to dress up. The food was good not great and the entertainment was good alseo (actually liked the shows better than RCCL and Carnival).I did not rate it up to RCCL or Carnival standards but I do understand if you want to go to Hawaii they are a wonderful options.

I went on an Eastern Canada Cruise with Carnival and really did enjoy it. Very clean well maintained and very friendly staffed. I agree it is more of a pary atmosphere but that is not really a bad thing is it. I am considering a carribean cruise with them next Sept. primarily because I want to try a balcony and there rates are great for these on this date.

RCCL is still my favorite but I would go back on Carnival in a second. I would only consider NCL on an extrem price differance or an unusual itinerary.

Wow...Glad I was nosey & logged onto this thread! We had sailed on NCL Dreamward in the 90's to Greek Isles, Turkey, Holy Land, & Italy. It was wonderful. I had considered trying them again. Thank you for warning us. Now we will stay away. We also had cruised Princess 3x but in the 90's as well. Are they bad now too? (We've cruised many various lines, but the past few years have stayed with Celebrity & RCCL)

We've done both RCCL and Princess and I find them more alike than different. I'd go on either in a heartbeat. Between the 2 I make a decision which one to go on based on cost and what ports each ship is stopping at.

We've been on Princess 3 times and RCI twice--I also think that they are much more alike than different--very comparable food and service--both quite good. We've done Princess more often because it is often a little cheaper than RCI for a comparable cruise. We love them both.

Les

Bob you summed up NCL very well. I dont 100% agree on the Princess but your right on with NCL.

These are my opinions based on my experiences. What I posted about the Island Princess yesterday was 100% accurate, and others thought the same. I have taken some previous Princess Cruises, prior to the CCL buyout, and enjoyed them, but if what I experienced yesterday is the "new" PCL, then I won't be looking to go back.

I really think that the crew on RCI is the best. Genuine, attentive and fun.

Celebrity crew come in up there, but I've not seen it on the other lines at the same level.

As a Princess platinum cruiser, I find the posting by RDeagazio to be totally biased and unfair. I did not note a single Princess cruise among his many cruises.

Certainly we all are entitled to our opinions and each cruise line has its cheerleaders on these boards. However, a bit of objectivity goes a long way to assist others in making up their minds about cruises.

We are taking our first RCCL cruise in November with an open mind. We love cruising and so far find that Princess is our favorite line.

After our RCCL cruise (not a visit aboard) we shall evaluate it fairly and objectively. Hopefully others will do the same following their cruises.

Frankly I agree with the above poster.

You really can't and shouldn't judge a cruise experience by a tour of the ship. I have been on 2 Princess cruises, so I'm not claiming to be an expert, but I found the ships to be very attractively decorated and the furnishings not to appear cheap or otherwise. I found the service to be top notch and very much enjoyed the food and entertainment.

Frankly I think RCCL does better in some things, and Princess does better in others and in the end I find it to be a wash. I have very much enjoyed my experiences with both lines and would not hestitate to recommend either one.

We give RCI a slight edge but we also love Princess. Our first cruise was on the Norway and that's the one that hooked us. We did the Pride of Aloha last year with our grandaughter and it was OK. Port intensive so it was really like a floating hotel but we enjoyed it. I really can't see enough difference is Princess and RCI to rule either out for the right itinerary. NCL would probably be third but mainly because we like the traditional seating option..

We are leaving Oct 14th on our first RCI cruise. We once loved NCL but learned on our last cruise with them that things had changed for the worse. We've cruised on Princess for our last 3 cruises and LOVED it! We will definitely cruise Princess again but going on RCI this time because of the itinerary to Bermuda.:) I'll report on what I think of RCI when we return.

Bob, I'm not a sarcastic person, so please don't misread my question, but I just went back to your posts and realized that you are a travel agent??

:confused:

I'm hoping that you have taken a Princess cruise and just forgot to list it, so that we wouldn't be misled. I'd really like to hear from those who sailed a few days because I know that when we were invited to tour Celebrity's Galaxy in NY years ago, I couldn't judge by one rushed afternoon of buffet etc. If you could just let us all know what ship you sailed, it would be appreciated.

We give RCI the edge but Princess is still a good value. I'm not sure how they do it, but their prices can be very low. They must make a lot of money on soda, drinks, photos, excursions to stay afloat. Some Princess ships have MUTS, the outdoor movie screen. If you don't like it, there are at least 2 other pools you can hang out at to escape the noise.

Food is the same, entertainment better on RCI, drinks are a little cheaper on Princess, buffet is better, with a better layout on RCI. Cabins are better on RCI, there's laundry facilities on Princess, which would come in handy on a long itinerary. Much ado is made about the freshwater pools on Princess, but I've spent too much time watching guys in the pool drinking buckets of beer for hours without a potty break. I just can't make myself get into those tiny pools. It's a personal problem. :)

There are some differences that might catch people unawares. First is ship design of the newer ships. The balconies are tiered and not cut into the hull. On the larger ships, the top two decks have balconies that are fully covered, then the next deck is half-covered, then the next deck is fully exposed. The Island and Coral have even more balconies that have no privacy because of their unique design. There are 2 threads going on right now about this...one is about nudists that gave everyone above a show, the other is about getting a bucket of ice dumped on their heads from 4 decks above. Ouch. You can also wake up to cigarette butts and other trash from decks above. Location is something you must pay attention to when you are booking a balcony stateroom. The older, smaller ships are traditionally designed and all of the balconies are covered. Also be aware that Princess includes the balcony size in the stateroom size. This is very important. So if they say 200 sf, it includes the balcony dimensions.

Decor is different on Princess. Low ceilings, no drop-dead gorgeous design or art. The dining room reminded me of a banquet at a mid-priced hotel, but some people like that "understated elegance". The newest ship (Crown) apparently has a new design, with more Italian looking materials and a big departure from the Marriott look.

Room service is very limited. Nothing hot for breakfast, salads, soups, for lunch, and a limited dinner menu (nothing from the dining room). The syrup coffee is really bad in the Lido, so room service, dining room and specialty coffees are your best bet. They sell a coffee card that you can buy the first day to purchase specialty coffees and all the fresh-brewed coffee you want.

The biggest difference was service. We were stuck with anytime dining and it was not a good thing. One evening I asked for iced tea 3 times and never got it. The waiters were not personable, however I felt sorry for them, having to serve tables in different stages of meals. We waited with a pager 45 minutes on the first formal night. The second formal night we made reservations at the steak restaurant and it was almost empty so we were nervous, but the meal was good. Sabatini's (alternative - Northern Italian) was a lot of food, mostly seafood (I am allergic). I sweated through the meal but my family said the seafood was very good and enjoyed it very much. The rest of the time we got to the dining room by 6:00 or 6:30 so we didn't have to wait too long. Our cabin steward was very good. One of the first things I noticed was the difference in the employees. RCI employees are so darn happy.

Princess loyalists bemoan the royal promenade "mall" on RCI ships, but now they've introduced the Piazza on their newest ship, the Crown. Very similar to the RP with jugglers, music acts, bars, snacks, shops etc., in a central area. There is another pay restaurant in the Piazza, with steak and lobster. The wine bar has sushi which is $3 for 3 pieces.

I say give Princess a try. We're giving them another shot next summer on one of their smallest ships. I'm thinking the December cruise on Grand was probably one of those fluke things. Check-in was at the Galvez Hotel, not the pier, but unfortunately many passengers weren't notified, so they were dropped at the pier, had to get transportation to the hotel, wait in line for 2 hours or more, then transfer back to the pier. We left 3.5 hours late and there were many upset pax aboard, especially since we lost time at our first port, Costa Maya. Each pax got a $50 credit as compensation. There were on-time and tendering problems at Cayman, we learned about it on the boards and knew to get in line for tender tickets an hour early. We had to cancel our private tour and just went to the beach. Some pax weren't able to get off the ship because we left an hour earlier than scheduled, many upset pax onboard. There were Princess fans onboard who said they would never sail Princess again. Believe me, hearing it got really old. I sat next to a lady on a tender who would not shut up about it. We were lucky to know of these things from CC and were able to make the best of things (thanks to all the complainers. :) )

Good luck with whatever cruise you choose.

I have been on most of the popular lines at least a few times. I think it depends on what you are looking for as well as your personal preferences.

RCI offers a solid product that appeals to many, especially families these days. The cruises are high energy, the staff warm and friendly and the ships are well kept. Food and service can always vary but I consider it pretty good overall. I do not like the big ships, the trend towards casual cruising, nor the family atmosphere aboard so I avoid RCI.

I have not been on Princess for years but will likely try one of their smaller ships one of these days. I was aboard CB and found her to be very nicely appointed but since I did not sail, I can not offer valid opinions.

HAL offers a more traditional experience, especially on their Vista class ships. I think their cabins and bedding are very nice and I like being able to bring my own wine and pay a corkage. It is more adult though not as senior oriented as it was 20 years ago. I like HAL and feel they offer a very good product, though the decor of their Vista class ships is too Carnivalized for me.

NCL offers a casual cruising environment catering to those who prefer lots of dining choices and for whom the traditional aspects of cruising do not appeal. I am not a fan of their food or Freestyle concept but my recent cruises on the Sun were nice enough in terms of the ship itself, the cruise staff and the entertainment. Not my style but we are all different.

Celebrity offers a more adult vacation suitable to those who prefer an elegant, service oriented and laid back atmosphere. For my money, the food and service in the main dining room and Aqua Spa cafe is the best of the mass market lines, I like the fact that their ships are not overcrowded and I find their nightlife and entertainment to be of good quality. I like that their passengers honor the dress code and that I have never encountered racous drunks or unruly kids as I have on NCL, RCI and Carnival.

Carnival is not for me. I think the ships are loud in decor, actitivies and atmosphere. I do not care for the food nor the announcements and dancing in the dining room. I find it tacky overall but they have their fans and to each his own.

If you love RCI than why change, unless the value is there and the itinerary and accomodation appeals to you. I like a sure thing when I am spending my time and money on vacation so I stick with lines I know I enjoy.

Different strokes...

caviargirl, when did you start avoiding RCI? It seems you have the most cruises with them. 48? Do you mean you only like the smaller ships on RCI? Has the lines changed in your opinion?

That is 48 cruises since 1978 so it is over a long period of time. :)

I own a small incentive agency so I take quite a few groups on RCI. In the "old days" they offered a different product. It was more elegant, the food and service were of a higher standard and the emphasis was not on families. I have had too many negative experiences with hordes of kids on a few sailings that have really made it not very enjoyable for me as RCI was unwilling to step up to the plate and enforce their own rules .

In the past, the dress code was enforced, there were not so many extra charge venues and the whole flavor of the experience was different (70s and 80s).

I think their Radiance class are some of the prettiest at sea but the ships alone are not enough IMO, for me personally as I choose a cruise by ship first and itinerary takes a far second.

I think most all lines have cut back due to competitive pressure so many of the changes that I consider negative.

I recommend RCI for my groups fairly often because I think the product is reliable and has broad appeal, but I do not cruise on their ships for pleasure. Not my cup of tea...

If you love RCI than why change, unless the value is there and the itinerary and accomodation appeals to you. I like a sure thing when I am spending my time and money on vacation so I stick with lines I know I enjoy.

Different strokes...

Yes, Like you we've also cruised HAL a few times, Celebrity & RCI many times, Princess, Carnival (once was really enough for me) NCL, & others, but I do like to try other lines and ships instead of being in the same rut. This is why I read reviews, to get other opinions. As you said, different strokes for different folks. I do have a friend who is a travel agent and she has many many many opinions, but she is biased as to who gives her the most incentive. I do really enjoy reading regular pax' opinions.

Archived