Several topics on NCL Jewel/Pearl

M&MCruisin

1. Room Service. Can anyone clue me in on the room service menu on the Jewel. We are going on the Pearl in March and I would assume the menus will be similar. I know they are revamping their menus on NCL, but just looking for what it is now. The room service menu on my Princess cruise didnt have alot to choose from although it was really good food.

2. Formal night. With the freestyle concept, if we choose not to participate in the formal attire, are we allowed in any of the dining rooms or are we limited to where we can eat? We still want the lobster dinner, but our group wants to ditch the formal clothes this time.

3. Pictures. I heard somewhere that you can get a picture package which for a certain price you get all the pictures that week they take of you. Such as formals, embarkment, gangway, etc... I buy so many pictures, it would be nice not to have to choose and know I am getting them all. (at a price!)

4. Balcony Room. Some of the balconies on my last cruise stuck out farther than others and we could look right down into someones balcony. How visible are the balconies or is it more "freestyle". (Lord, that is going to start an interesting conversation)

5. Embarkment. What is the earliest anyone has ever gotten on an NCL boat? With the freestyle and people allowed to stay in their rooms until they are called, I figure getting on may be a little later than I have seen in the past.

Well. Thats it for now. Thanks in advance for helping out.

M&M you have too much free time to be worrying with all of these details. Just relax and enjoy!! Just kidding. See you on the ship, sis!

Thats ok, I dont think any one is going to answer anyway. They are funny on this board. Unless its a controversal topic, they dont want to talk about it. I'll enjoy the cruise just the same, with or without the answers. BTW....you apparently had some free time to read my thread! Tell tish if he would do some reasearch I wouldnt have to post questions!!! LOL! Just kidding.

I can try to answer a few of your ?'s.

Room service is pretty standard fare. Sandwiches, pizza, fruit and cheese, and some speciality items that cost $$. The breakfast menu is nice and light fare. We love using the room service tags that you hang on your doorknobs the night before. It is very convenient for early ports of call.

Freestyle IMO means ditch the formal wear. As long as you are wearing resort casual you can enter any dining room, even on formal night.

Hope this helps,

Angie

Thats ok, I dont think any one is going to answer anyway. They are funny on this board. Unless its a controversal topic, they dont want to talk about it. I'll enjoy the cruise just the same, with or without the answers. BTW....you apparently had some free time to read my thread! Tell tish if he would do some reasearch I wouldnt have to post questions!!! LOL! Just kidding.

It amuses me that you know the board well-enough to realize some questions don't get a lot of replies, and you challenge one of your cruise-mates to do more research....but you didn't know well-enough to click the search button at the top of the page, and find replies to these questions, which have been asked ad infinitum?

Here are some clue keywords for your questions:

1. Jewel room service

2. Freestyle formal dining

3. Pictures photos package

4. Balcony private

5. Embarkation early time

These should bring up loads of responses, since these are all common questions. In fact, I think many may be addressed in the FAQ sticky.

I believe Shoreguy had a link about what you should do...before starting a new thread.... :rolleyes:

It amuses me that you know the board well-enough to realize some questions don't get a lot of replies, and you challenge one of your cruise-mates to do more research....but you didn't know well-enough to click the search button at the top of the page, and find replies to these questions, which have been asked ad infinitum?

Here are some clue keywords for your questions:

1. Jewel room service

2. Freestyle formal dining

3. Pictures photos package

4. Balcony private

5. Embarkation early time

These should bring up loads of responses, since these are all common questions. In fact, I think many may be addressed in the FAQ sticky.

I believe Shoreguy had a link about what you should do...before starting a new thread.... :rolleyes:

You mean this one :D

http://albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

It amuses me that you know the board well-enough to realize some questions don't get a lot of replies, and you challenge one of your cruise-mates to do more research....

obviously you know nothing about what you are saying. It was my sister and I who were jabbing at eachother and it was a joke. We discussed these same issues that we wish we knew the answers. I didnt figure out until last night even how to use the search portion of cruise critic and it will be the last thread I start on the NCL side. I have never had a problem on some of the other cruise threads.

Oh and Shoreguy...thanks for the extra jab. Here I thought you were one of the nice ones.

Lawofraven - thanks for helping, it is appreciated.

obviously you know nothing about what you are saying. It was my sister and I who were jabbing at eachother and it was a joke. We discussed these same issues that we wish we knew the answers. I didnt figure out until last night even how to use the search portion of cruise critic and it will be the last thread I start on the NCL side. I have never had a problem on some of the other cruise threads.

Oh and Shoreguy...thanks for the extra jab. Here I thought you were one of the nice ones.

Lawofraven - thanks for helping, it is appreciated.

Ahh....so you can be critical of my not recognizing YOUR jokes, but I can't make any of my own (and apparently nor can Shoreguy).

Lighten up. Read the FAQ, and try the search link.

by sjbdtz: Ahh....so you can be critical of my not recognizing YOUR jokes but I can't make any of my own

Sounds like you were purposely trying to provoke me. Doesnt that go against the rules? - Anyway, you werent joking. If your gonna slay me, at least stand behind what you did. Dont chicken back out! :cool: Anyway, thanks for proving my point about no one responding unless its controversal !

FYI - I tried your search suggestions and it came up with tons of junk with no relevance to my question. the only one that came close was the picture package and it was a few people saying yes they used to or now they dont or not this boat. That doesnt answer my questions. This is why people post new threads. No big deal, I will find out when I get on the cruise or when the Pearl starts sailing and people do live updates.

I might be able to give some info...

Room Service - I have not been on the Jewel, but have been on a few other ships and the room service menu was limited (fruit, toast, yogurt, juice, coffee...) but several times I made special requests (scrambled eggs) and was able to get what I wanted.

Formal night - It's always optional and does not impact your access to the dining rooms. (The regular dress codes still apply that night...no shorts...denim...)

Pictures - Have never had a package offered on any ship I have been on. Sorry - can't help here.

Balcony Room - Again - have not been on the Jewel so I'm not sure. My balcony on the Star was bigger than those on the Dawn / Sun (because of the deck I was on).

Embarkment - has never been consistent as each ship / port seemed different. In the past we have arrived several hours in advanced and if we can get on early all the better. But it didn't always work out. In New York we go there very early and sat and waited for hours. I just have the "wait and see attitude" when I get there.

Hope some of this was helpful.

I have to agree w/M&M about the search feature not always yielding what I am looking for. Yes, often I get a lot of unrelated posts to sort through and not anything like I have searched for using key words that should help. Also, sometimes people DON'T have a lot of time to use up trying to find some info. in an old post pages and pages back (and sometimes mos. and mos. or years old). Sometimes I have spent hours looking at old posts. Longtime readers of this board know some of the same questions pop up over and over again. But there are tons of new readers and some of the same old answers are new to them and might help them out. Or there might just be a new "twist" to a question a reader has asked. What the heck, if someone who knows the answer doesn't want to reply, they don't have to! These boards aren't to criticize interested cruisers. They are to offer help to one another.

by sjbdtz: Ahh....so you can be critical of my not recognizing YOUR jokes but I can't make any of my own

Sounds like you were purposely trying to provoke me. Doesnt that go against the rules? - Anyway, you werent joking. If your gonna slay me, at least stand behind what you did. Dont chicken back out! :cool: Anyway, thanks for proving my point about no one responding unless its controversal !

FYI - I tried your search suggestions and it came up with tons of junk with no relevance to my question. the only one that came close was the picture package and it was a few people saying yes they used to or now they dont or not this boat. That doesnt answer my questions. This is why people post new threads. No big deal, I will find out when I get on the cruise or when the Pearl starts sailing and people do live updates.

The :rolleyes: smiley has a smile. I used the word "amused". I was not berating. I even made reference to a VERY funny cartoon on posting.

Unlike the other replies, I've actually cruised on the Jewel. Twice. 12 days each time.

But as they say...give a poster an answer, and she'll be satisfied today. Teach a poster how to find the answers herself, and she'll become self-sufficient. :rolleyes:

However, since you were unable to locate results with the search button, I've done it for you. :rolleyes:

Here are the answers to your questions (from the search feature):

Room Service Menu for the Jewel (was 2nd result on search page):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=7950847&postcount=7

Formal Night Concept (from the FAQ sticky at the top of the forum):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=6650226&postcount=3

Picture Package....you seem to have answered for yourself, so I won't bother.

Balconies...I don't understand the question. Are you asking that if the balconies are visible, will the poeple be naked? I'm not sure, but that's what it sounds like.

I find it absolutely incredible that a search for Embarkation time did not yield hundreds of responses from people discussing the time they boarded.

Good luck finding answers to your questions.... if you keep in mind that this is a discussion board, and not an Information Kiosk, you may have more luck. Descriptive thread titles (Questions re: Jewel Room Service; Photo Packages; Balconies, Boarding Time) will probably help too.

I was on the Jewel last year and had a balcony on the stern of the ship and yes, they were layered. We were able to see down into part of the suite balconies below us. Lucky for us, we were right below the Great Outdoors cafe and that put us under the overhang so no one could see us. As for the port and starboard balconies, they are not stepped out so you can't see into them unless you lean over.

Room service, not that great. Sandwiches, snacks, fruit, some desserts. Pretty standard fare.

Formal night, dress in resort casual, eat anywhere you want. About 50% of the passengers choose to dress formally and get their photo taken.

Picture package: yes it's offered, but pretty limited in what sizes you can choose.

Hope this helps.

I am hijacking this post...M&MCruisin....

I see that you just went on the CB...me too in Sept. LOVED it.

I am looking at the Norwegian for next fall in East Caribb. I am curious what made you look at Norwegian? I noticed the fun iteneraries and the restaurant choices..wow.

thanks;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sjbdtz

Picture Package....you seem to have answered for yourself, so I won't bother.

First, I call truce! Some have seen a package and some havent. Guess I just need to call NCL and ask them direct. I shall post their answer so we can have a final answer if they do or do not offer it and if its on all ships.

Balconies...I don't understand the question. Are you asking that if the balconies are visible, will the poeple be naked? I'm not sure, but that's what it sounds like.

what I meant by freestyle is it private. I wondered if people could see into the balconies so I know if I shouldnt wear jammies on the balcony! Gosh, hope no one is naked, that might gross me out, just dont want people looking down at me like you can on Princess boats.

I find it absolutely incredible that a search for Embarkation time did not yield hundreds of responses from people discussing the time they boarded.

My question was what was the earliest someone has ever gotten on the boat...kind of like a poll. Just really curious how early I can get on Pearl. We started boarding before 11am on the Caribbean Princess. I like to get their early and search the boat.

Good luck finding answers to your questions.... if you keep in mind that this is a discussion board, and not an Information Kiosk, you may have more luck. Descriptive thread titles (Questions re: Jewel Room Service; Photo Packages; Balconies, Boarding Time) will probably help too.

Just so I dont make the same mistakes again...had I put the questions out one by one and worded it a little different, then it would be ok to ask these questions? Im not trying to be smart here, just really dont get it.

Also, I tried your suggestion on the FAQ sticky and all it talked about were the pillows, duvets and food for the most part. Doesnt really tell me anything. Thanks for the help both with the answers and helping me with using this board.

Still Floatin, RichNY, Pamera, mlbcruiser...thanks bunches for the help. Guess I didnt realize these boards are for discussion purposes and not to ask questions, so thanks for helping me out.

minnie00I am hijacking this post...M&MCruisin....

I see that you just went on the CB...me too in Sept. LOVED it.

I am looking at the Norwegian for next fall in East Caribb. I am curious what made you look at Norwegian? I noticed the fun iteneraries and the restaurant choices..wow.

thanks;)

Hi Minnie00 -

I love the CB cruise it was so awesome. Its got me hooked. We chose NCL for several reasons. Actually, we were all set for the Crown Princess as a family cruise next year, but then the accident happened and I had family on that boat. Its not that they hate Princess now, but it would be a little uncomfortable for them to cruise on the same boat since they will have too many memories of people hurt laying every where. Thats all the details I will say on that. Then, the only other boat in the eastern/southern for Princess was the CB and we wanted to try something new, therefore, we started looking at so many different lines. Ultimately, it was the itinerary for the Pearl that made us choose it, plus we got an awesome price for the 9 day. (just before the price hikes). We are really fortunate. Another thing we liked about this cruise was it goes out of Miami. There arent many cruises that go through the southern caribbean out of Miami unless its really long. This trip is Friday to Sunday so its limited time off of work. Now, we had read good things about NCL. My family has been on tons of cruises but never NCL, so we all thought it would be fun to try a different line and compare. I dont have much to compare, but it sounds like a great boat. They have a bowling alley on this new boat. That ought to be interesting. Anyway, hope you choose a great cruise on the boat of your choice. I will definitely miss the MUTS! That was the best! Happy sailing.

NO problem...feel free to ask away and ignore those that think that you should not be asking questions...:p ....not a question Kiosk...some people have made their reputation answering questions..:rolleyes:

In the ships I've been on with NCL they had 2 Main DR and one was designated as the formal one for the formal night the other one was casual as a usual night and you got the same menu at both. However I noticed if there was a line at the formal DR the dress ups would go to the regular one and vice versa and nothing was said. Formal night is more of a joke on NCL and Freestyle anyway. Impossible to enforce and rules are never followed by the majority. They should really do away with it altogether but keep it on for those few that do like the traditional ambeince of a formal atmosphere on a cruise ship with a least one formal night. I say do away it and lighten the load on the bags. Those extra gowns, cumberbuns,stiff collar shirts and patent leather shoes take up so much room in your luggage. As far as a balcony that hangs back while you look at the nudist below you, I have no problem with that or vice versa. That would spice up the cruise a bit. The guys up on the bridge with their high powered binoculars look no matter how the balcony sits out. Room service: With over 10 places to go and get food why bother with room service at all? That's for the sick and shut in anyway and even then I would have my wife go get me something somewhere else and bring it back to the room. I don't have to tip my wife and she knows what I like to eat!

Getting off early? If you carry ALL your own luggage and check no bags the night before you are the first off period. This is the freestyle self assist. And it has to be all the members of your party too. Only high security/celebs/pent/suite snobs would get off before you. If you check any luggage you go into the color code/number system and you could be there hours before your number is called.

In the ships I've been on with NCL they had 2 Main DR and one was designated as the formal one for the formal night the other one was casual as a usual night and you got the same menu at both.

Now that is the answer I was looking for! Thank you thank you! Now I know I can wear my "fat" clothes to dinner and still eat lobster. I think I am really going to like the freestyle dining and since I have to dress up each day for work, it suits me just fine not to dress up on formal night. Thanks for all the other info too!

First time Cruiser....I hope you have a great time on the Jewel. Its going to be so much fun. I am totally adicted to cruising already. Have you started packing yet? Just kidding! I am awful, buy new cloths and start laying them out months in advance so I can see what I still need to buy. My guest room becomes a shrine for cruise clothes.

Here's a good suggestion for first timers: Go ahead and pack all you think you will need for the cruise and then the night before take out half of it and leave it at home. It never fails that we always pack too much and wind up taking back home clothes we never wore and that's after we left half of it. You're on vacation with strangers. It's very unlikely they will observe you wore the same thing twice in one week.

Get it dirty? There's do yourself laundry on board or the staff can clean it for a fee. Felt like you didn't take enough? You're in luck, they sell clothes on the ship or any port of call. It's just ridiculous seeing those first time cruisers lugging and strugleing with all that unnecessary luggage. Lighten it up!

In the ships I've been on with NCL they had 2 Main DR and one was designated as the formal one for the formal night the other one was casual as a usual night and you got the same menu at both.

Now that is the answer I was looking for! Thank you thank you! Now I know I can wear my "fat" clothes to dinner and still eat lobster. I think I am really going to like the freestyle dining and since I have to dress up each day for work, it suits me just fine not to dress up on formal night. Thanks for all the other info too!

Except that F5Loar is wrong.

As stated in the answer "I" gave you, which is direct from NCL's website, and confirmed by several threads (found with the search button :rolleyes: )

BOTH dining rooms are available every night, to people dressed Resort Casual. That is ALL that is EVER required on an NCL ship.

If it's still unclear, I'd be happy to translate to another language for you.

" If it's still unclear, I'd be happy to translate to another language for you."

Completely uncalled for. This poster has legitimate questions and your sarcasm is not helpful and reflects poorly on the majority of us on the NCL boards who are happy to share our knowledge, knowing that we often used the advice of previous cruisers ourselves when planning upcoming cruises.

" If it's still unclear' date=' I'd be happy to translate to another language for you."

Completely uncalled for. This poster has legitimate questions and your sarcasm is not helpful and reflects poorly on the majority of us on the NCL boards who are happy to share our knowledge, knowing that we often used the advice of previous cruisers ourselves when planning upcoming cruises.[/quote']

Perhaps you're right, and I apologize.

But it's frustrating to take the time, twice, to a) show the OP where to find the answers, and b) to answer the question directly.....and then have the OP thank everyone else on the thread, even though their information was wrong.

It's annoying, and I overreacted.

:o

Archived