Volleyball on Carnival

It's pretty easy to find a beach volleyball game. But at sea, there is too much chance of a wild hit sending the ball into the sea - a cage is needed.

There are some cages where you can play basketball, but it is a half-court, if that, and not really big enough for a volleyball game. And the cage roof may be a bit low for volleyball. Maybe that will change - it would be nice to have a volleyball game on board.

There was a full size vollyball court which was netted on the celebrity galaxy. I was searching on You tube and typed in "carnival cruise" and some young girl had a movie on there of her friends playing vollyball on the valor. Which i guess is the conquest class( glory, valor, conquest) not sure of the other ships.

There were volleyball curts on all fantasy class ships until the mini golf renos started. Some have now eliminated the volleyball for the golf. There is no cage over the volleyball and there is a charge if your ball goes into the sea-found that out the hard way.

My group and I oganize a volleyball cruise every three or four years - the last one we did was aboard the Carnival Pride. We are a group of about 70+ competative volleyball players and play a lot of volleyball on all our cruises and on shore, but we always make arrangements to reserve the court and provided our own balls.

The best courts are aboard Voyager class ships of Royal Caribbean's fleet - they are regulation size, well maintained and the activities staff organizes well run tournaments on days at sea. Because the court is shared with basketball (on all ships these days), pick-up games are hard to coordinate.

The sports court aboard Carnival ships, that still have them, are not regulation size and are not maintained well. The one aboard the Pride is probably the best in the fleet - unfortunately, it is enclosed in a net, and the staff is very reluctant to organize volleyball, as basketball players usually out number volleyball players. With that said, we reserved the court on the Pride on the three days we were at sea for about 4 hours a day and planned a tournament in Mazatlan. The cruise line was very accommodating to our group, and in my opinion, does a much better job with groups than does Royal Caribbean.

But our next volleyball cruise in 2008 will be with Royal Caribbean on a Voyager class ship. Playing volleyball on the Pride was too frustrating. From what I could tell, the Pride offers one volleyball tourney per cruise.

Good luck.

Conquest class ships have basketball and volleyball courts (1 each) adjacent, infront of the funnel one deck above the Lido. The basketball court is a single goal, the volleyball court looked smaller than regulation size. They are protected from the wind fore and aft, not side to side.

Here is a picture:

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2189617680097563594CHuvwh

Archived