Can we bring Italian wines onboard with us?

Dame Delilah

We will be visiting in Italy before we return to New York via the QM2 in May '07. Will we be able to bring some of the Italian wines we purchased onboard with us to enjoy? Thanks for your replies.

Yes, just be aware that if you want to drink them onboard they'll be subject to a corkage charge if you drink them anywhere except in your own cabin. If you're buying them to take back into the States then you'll be subject to a duty free allowance.

• 4 months later...

No, you cannot bring any other alcohol but wine for comsumption on the ship. Adn the previous poster was correct, they will charge a corkage fee if you would like to enjoy your wine in the dining room. i do not know why they allow wine but no other alcohol to be brought on board, but that is the official stated policy.

Does this mean you Cunard allow all types of alcohol to be brought on board for storage in the cabin fridge and consumption in the cabin?

It's been done....;)

Wrap up the bottle to keep it from breaking, put it in your suitcase, and take it out in your cabin.

Not that I would know :rolleyes:

The four or five bottle I brought on board in my special insulated bottle bag (like a tall six pack or lunch bag) plus limes fresh mint, simple syrup and decorative straws (plus a small sharp knife and spoon for muddling the lime and mint together) plus plastic cups were strictly for medicinal purposes!

Karie,

who finds the stress of work and every day life can sometimes be relieved by a freshly mixed mojito amongst the right friends! <G>

My original question was -- and remains -- regarding wines we will bring from Europe onto the cruise ship. We are not big drinkers, but if we drink alcoholic beverages aboard, we don't mind paying the accepted tariff.

But it would be very nice to enjoy some specially selected Italian wines which we have personally collected during our travels -- on our return trip to the US. :p

My original question was -- and remains -- regarding wines we will bring from Europe onto the cruise ship.

Does Malcolm not answer your question?:

Yes, just be aware that if you want to drink them onboard they'll be subject to a corkage charge if you drink them anywhere except in your own cabin.

Peter

Does Malcolm not answer your question?:

Peter

And so say I. Malcolm (and others) take the time and trouble to answer a question simply and factually, and get a rather interesting response from the OP.

To be charitable, perhaps it was not intentional that Dame Delilah's response came over as rather brusque.

Will we be able to bring some of the Italian wines we purchased onboard with us to enjoy?
Guess the answer is a "Yes".

My original question was -- and remains -- regarding wines we will bring from Europe onto the cruise ship. We are not big drinkers, but if we drink alcoholic beverages aboard, we don't mind paying the accepted tariff.

But it would be very nice to enjoy some specially selected Italian wines which we have personally collected during our travels -- on our return trip to the US. :p

The answer is still "yes".

If you bring wine on board in your hand luggage there is a good chance it will be consfiscated and returned to you on the last night of your cruise. Put it in your "checked" luggage if you want to see it before you get off the ship.

And so say I. Malcolm (and others) take the time and trouble to answer a question simply and factually, and get a rather interesting response from the OP.

To be charitable, perhaps it was not intentional that Dame Delilah's response came over as rather brusque.

I think that Dame Delilah's computer occasionally plays up to be fair, and she may not have seen the answers posted.

I noticed a similar problem a few weeks ago when she asked

"I tried to post this earlier, so I apologize if this is a duo post. We are Americans taking a TransAtlantic cruise, arriving in Europe in late April. We will travel for a few weeks in Europe and end in Southampton. We will arrive in Southampton from Venice and will spend 2 nights at the Hotel Ibis, Southampton Center before our return on the QM2. We have never visited Southampton and need your help. Is there something we MUST see in Southampton (we will not have a car, so must rely on taxi) Or should we just relax? Also, any recommendations as to how to get to the port? Thanks for any information".

That got the lollowing two replies "Hi Travel to the dock is easy, pre book a taxi the night before at the hotel desk. If you've a lot of bags tell them to make sure it's a large cab or you'll get an ordinary car turn up that may be unable to take many cases.Things you MUST see in Southampton? Well the Maritime museum would be top of my list, it's housed in a building dating from the 1300's and is well worth a visit. But other than that I would go out of Southampton itself and see Winchester or Salisbury Cathedrals and Cities, both a short distance away by train. You might like to see the following: Portsmouth, home of the Royal Navy. The Isle of Wight, to see Osbourne House. The New Forest, for stunning countryside.

Hope this helps, enjoy your wonderful holiday and esp. the westbound crossing on QM2".

and

This is a link I have given before regarding visiting Southampton it has itinerary ideas, eating suggestions etc. The Ibis is fairly near the centre of the city and many of the historic places are within walking distance (depending on your mobility of course) - the site above has several maps, including one showing the city centre in relation to the railway station ('Central Station', to the left of the map) http://www.visit-southampton.co.uk/d...CityCentre.pdf.

The ibis is also very near the rail station if you decide to visit Portsmouth, Winchester or Salisbury. All are fairly easy journeys (Salisbury is 30 mins, Winchester 15 and Portsmouth 50). Most trains in the area are run by South West Trains - http://southwesttrains.co.uk/SWTrains

For the Isle of Wight see the Red Funnel site http://www.redfunnel.co.uk/

Hope some of this helps & that you enjoy your visit Karen

However, I'm sure that Dame Delilah never saw these answers because she has yet to comment on them.

So please be understanding if she is having computer problems in either reading or replying. I'm certain that she doesn't wish to cause offence.

This reads to me like she has read the posts.

As to bringing alcohol aboard and it being confiscated, who will do the confiscating. The only way you could be found out is when your hand baggage goes through the scanner, and the guys opperating that are not looking for booze!!

David.

If I understand your itinerary correctly you will be flying into the UK? If so, don't forget that EU-wide regulations prohibit taking liquids onboard, unless in small (>100ml) bottles in a plastic bag:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6119414.stm

- so any bottles of wine will have to be checked in with your hold baggage - and as you have noted on another thread, you may struggle with the current check-in allowances.

Also, note that European airports are now MUCH more strict than US airports on carry-on luggage - they enforce the limits:

These allowances apply for all passengers entering the UK only:

• one standard-sized bag - maximum size of the bag, 56x45x25cm (22x18x10in)
  • plus one laptop or briefcase

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagcabin/public/en_gb

Peter

Not that I would know :rolleyes:

I haven't not done that neither.......:cool:

No this is a very wrong thing to do.

Jon is quite right - It is a very wrong thing to do and all of us who have done it are terribly sorry for breaking Cunard's regulations;) (but it does save you a LOT of money on your bar bill):)

We have never flown with alcohol to take onboard (We wouldn't do a fly cruise anyway) but we have bought it in a local shop whilst on a cruise. Then we've just carried it up the gangway in a carrier bag - there's been no doubt what we were bringing onboard.

I ask because we watched MANY people bringing alcohol back from St. Thomas. Maybe I didn't pay enough attention, but I do not recall anyone stopping them. And I remember seeing the same woman with a big box of something strong before the security check and the same woman with the same box (and no "you'll-have-to-drink-that-all-right-here-ma'am" stagger) after.

...and had no trouble bringing it on board.

And there's no reason to pay a corking fee (which they do not always charge in any case), since there's no better place to try your wine then your balcony. Ahhhhhhhhh.......

And if you forget your corkscrew, they sell them in the giftshop.

Forget your corkscrew?

Passport, tickets, money, corkscrew.....

And if they pick it up on the scanner, it's for taking stones out of horses' hooves.

Mary

No, you cannot bring any other alcohol but wine for comsumption on the ship. Adn the previous poster was correct, they will charge a corkage fee if you would like to enjoy your wine in the dining room. i do not know why they allow wine but no other alcohol to be brought on board, but that is the official stated policy.

i never have seen this statement regarding alcohol being restricted on board!!! can you tell me where you saw this restriction???? thanx

Just remember that if you are carrying your own cork screw, you'll need to have it in your checked luggage when travelling by plane....

You don't want to get your wine on board and find you can't open it because you have had your cork screw confiscated at the airport and the on-board gift shop has sold out!!:( (Screw-tops excepted of course)

Forget your corkscrew?

That's funny!

I may look for a place to stash the corkscrew away until next trip.

I can just see myself carefully removing a panel to hide my corkscrew only to have half a dozen fall on my head because others had thought of it first.

:D

Forget your corkscrew?

Peter, this is what the butler is for!

Matthew

Archived