Velvet dress on January Carribbean cruise

sammthe66

In the Caribbean, it's always summer, so I say YES to the white shoes ( or white in general) and no to the Velvet. I beleive the velvet season ends in December anyway even in colder climates. It's just too heavy a look for the tropics.

I was going to say the white shoes rule is suspended in the tropics so go ahead & wear them. Velvet is a winter fabric & can be worn through March so according to the calendar it should be fine. For practical reasons, as mentioned, I would not wear velvet but that doesn't mean you can't or that you must pend money on a new dress.

I've worn a dark green velvet gown during a Caribbean cruise in December. Wasn't hot, didn't feel out of place. And I frankly don't think that I looked out of place either, and no one stared at me as if I was committing some great social sin. I'm also thinking of wearing it again on a September cruise to Bermuda. I think your black velvet will be fine.

I have a short sleeve beaded velvet dress i have worn several times on Caribbean cruises in Nov and Dec. Even though it is summer all year in the Caribbean, night time dress mode is more to the season and not the local.

As for the shoes, I wouldn't wear them at night--unless they are off white but they are fine during the day

I think you're fine with the black velvet on ANY cruise.

I have a short dress with a black velvet long jacket with gold accents. It's very dressy, and I don't feel at all out of place wearing it. I also have a deep purple velvet jacket with brocade pants, and it's another outfit I wear for formal nights.

I've seen lots and lots of velvet on all my cruises. Enjoy!

First let me say I'm Southern and therefore have the "rules" so bred into me, I couldn't really break free if I tried! That said, I can manage velvet in Jan in the Carib, but not in Aug in Alaska-not very sensible I know. The white shoe question is one that really bugs me-I know it's just me. The Memorial Day to Labor Day rule has been around for centuries, I'm sure, but most of the people I know have come to regard white shoes period as a little suspect. I have sandals and tennis shoes and a pair of white heels that I wear when I wear all white. Please don't flame me. I told you I'm old-fashioned about these things. That said, if you wear them, I won't think anything about it except that you're not from around here! So wear what you're comfortable in, so will I and I hope we all have fun!

Archived