Warm Chocolate Melting Cake

dmfriedman

I just got off the Valor today and most of our group of 16 loved this dessert! I promised I would find the recipe and share it with them and I knew right where to look. Thanks fellow Cruise Critics for not leaving me hanging!!!!!

I had that recipe but I lost it. Can you give me the link to it or can you give it to me on this post? thanks

Scroll back through this thread. There are several different recipes that match the one Carnival uses. Also, you can find many good similar recipes by just Googling "Chocolate Lava Cake".

I've tried the most recently posted recipe twice and I don't think it's correct. I have no idea what "black chocolate" is but the bittersweet is not sweet enough and the semi-sweet is a bit too sweet. It seems the eggs are maybe too many? Something but I can't quite put my finger on it. The batter is pretty thick and slimy (the eggs I guess) and so the middle is never really "liquid", just more like pudding. My kids ate it up but we all agreed that it is a distant 2nd to Carnival's. Maybe I'll try some of the box recipes suggested. We don't have any Trader Joes nearby.

I've tried the most recently posted recipe twice and I don't think it's correct. I have no idea what "black chocolate" is but the bittersweet is not sweet enough and the semi-sweet is a bit too sweet. It seems the eggs are maybe too many? Something but I can't quite put my finger on it. The batter is pretty thick and slimy (the eggs I guess) and so the middle is never really "liquid", just more like pudding. My kids ate it up but we all agreed that it is a distant 2nd to Carnival's. Maybe I'll try some of the box recipes suggested. We don't have any Trader Joes nearby.

March yourself down to the bookstore or library and get a copy of Jill Conner Brown's The Sweet Potato Queens Book of Love or The Sweet Potato Queen's Big A$$ Cookbook & Financial Planner. Both have a recipe for what she calls the Chocolate Stuff which is almost identical in flavor and texture to the Warm Chocolate Melting Cake and MUCH less complicated than the recipes listed in this thread.

Enjoy!

March yourself down to the bookstore or library and get a copy of Jill Conner Brown's The Sweet Potato Queens Book of Love or The Sweet Potato Queen's Big A$$ Cookbook & Financial Planner. Both have a recipe for what she calls the Chocolate Stuff which is almost identical in flavor and texture to the Warm Chocolate Melting Cake and MUCH less complicated than the recipes listed in this thread.

Enjoy!

You can't get much easier than the recipe I used from this thread. I'll attempt again on the 4th.

The Washington Duke Inn here has it for a dessert and it come pretty close to Carnival.I was taken there for a job interview ( to be loved).... All I could do was have very fond memories of my cruises and dream of my next one while eating that.

• 2 weeks later...
I am desperately hoping someone might be able to get a recipe for Carnival's warm chocolate melting cake -- the one that's now on the alternative menu every night. My girlfriend fell in love with it and now I want to be able to make it for her.

If anyone can help, it'd be greatly appreciated!

Okay, I did the calculations from someone's recipe they got from Carnival. This formula will make 8 or 9 small individual ceramic cup servings. I did the figures, tested it out today, and the taste is pretty darn close. So here goes:

You need:

8 oz. unsweetened baker's chocolate squares

2 sticks butter

5 eggs

1 and 1/8 cup sugar

3/4 cup flour

(powdered sugar to top the cakes)

(Note: make sure the eggs are at room temp. and the chocolate is warm enough while making the mixture.)

Melt the chocolate and butter together. Mix the eggs and sugar and whisk for a few minutes, then add the flour. Add the egg mixture to the melted chocolate and mix. Pour the mix into the greased moulds; bake at 392 degrees F (Carnival says 200 deg. Celsius, so this is the conversion) for 14 minutes. Carnival said 14 min.; I cooked them for 14 and they were not as "melted" in the middle--you might cut a few minutes off for a more liquified middle. Once cooled about 10 min., sprinkle powdered sugar on top. Serve with a side of vanilla ice cream while cake is still warm.

Good luck! :)

My DH attempted to make brownies tonight and they came out basically raw in the middle. When DD complained, DH told her...oh no they aren't brownies, they are chocolate melting cake!! She said OHH I LOVE THAT STUFF! And got a big dip with ice cream and walked away happy! Hehehe

Ingredients

1 lb dark chocolate

1 lb butter

10 eggs

1/2 cup plus 4 tbsp sugar

1/2 cup less 4 tbsp flour

Melting Chocolate Cake

We scaled Carnival's recipe down but couldn't help but share it in its original form. Serving 90, it called for 8 pounds of dark chocolate, 8 pounds of butter, 80 eggs, 5 pounds of sugar and 5 pounds of flour! This kitchen-friendly version will make 10 to 12 individual cakes. Make sure that the eggs are at room temperature and chocolate is still warm when combining.

1. Melt the chocolate and butter together.

2. In a seperate bowl, mix the eggs and sugar; whisk for a few minutes, then add the flour.

3. Add the egg mixture to the melted chocolate and mix.

4. Pour the mix into greased individual serving dishes. Bake in the oven at 200 degrees celsius (between 375 and 400 fahrenheit) for 14 minutes.

5. Enjoy warm! Cruise Critic member tinabrn says it's "awesome with ice cream."

I've been dreaming about Warm Chocolate Melting Cake since our cruise in December. I got up the nerve to order TWO of them on the last night, and unfortunately they were so undercooked that it was like lukewarm pudding, not even remotely cake-like even at the edges.

I'm back on a strict low carb diet for health reasons, and my goal this week is to find the perfect low carb, sugar free version of warm chocolate melting cake. I'm buying the ingredients tomorrow, with plenty extras so I can experiment with it. If I come up with something delicious, I'll be sure to post it here.

Susan

Unsweetened cocoa powder and splenda?

Please let me know (low carbing it too)

If anyone wants a flourless chocolate cake, I make this for Passover

Rich Flourless Chocolate Fantasy

1 package (12 ounces) semisweet or bittersweet chocolate cut up

1 stick (4 ounces) butter

1/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup strong freshly brewed coffee

3 eggs

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Butter an 8-inch springform pan. Line

with a wax paper round cut to fit the bottom of the pan; butter the wax paper.

2. In a medium bowl, combine the chocolate, butter, sugar and coffee.

Microwave on high for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes, or until chocolate and butter are

melted and smooth when stirred.

3. Whisk in the eggs until smooth and well blended. Turn the mixture into

the prepared pan.

4. Bake for 10 minutes. The cake will not be completely set in the middle.

Cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until cold.

5. To serve, remove the springform. Cut the cake into thin slices; peel off

wax paper as each slice is placed on the serving dish.

10 to 12 servings

Warm melting chocolate cake at home!!! Did the conversions from Carnival's jumbo recipe and tried it...I think we've got it! Here's the recipie I used:

8 oz. dark chocolate (i used 1 1/3 C. semi-sweet choc. chips)

8 oz. butter (i used one stick salted, one unsalted)

5 eggs (room temperature)

5/8 C. sugar

2/3 C. flour

Melt chocolate & butter over low heat. In mixing bowl, mix eggs and sugar, then add flour. Slowly whisk into the melted chocolate mixture. Pour into greased (i used Baker's Joy) ramekins. (i tried 4 oz. & 7 oz. -- 7 oz. is just too big!) Bake at 400 F for 12-14 minutes. Yield: 36 oz. unbaked batter; 8 servings if you use a 4 oz. ramekin.

Adjust times according to the size ramekin you use, and the texture you prefer. In a 4 oz. ramekin for 13 min., the texture on the inside of the cake was a little heavier than pudding, kind of like a loose fudge. I also did some in my convection oven at 350F. 13 minutes in a 4 oz. ramekin yielded a smooth, hot fudge sauce-like center. In the 7 oz. size, 16 min. at 350F in the convection oven produced a pudding-like texture in the middle. Regular oven, 7 oz. size, at 400F, smooth, heavy sauce-like texture resulted after 14 min.

Thanks for trying out all these versions. ;) I'll have to try out a few myself.

There is a warm chocolate melting cake that Oprah touted as one of her favorite things a couple of years ago. It is available at Williams-Sonoma and it is DEEEEELICIOUS!!!!! I think it is better than the cake on the Glory, and that made my eyes roll back in my head. Be sure to ask for extra ice cream because you have to cut all of that chocolate lusciousness with something or you will have major chocolate overload! Just got off the Glory 2 days ago and have already had dreams about the cake and the pizza....yum.

Be sure to ask for extra ice cream because you have to cut all of that chocolate lusciousness with something or you will have major chocolate overload!

That's funny, because our waiter was hard to convince that I didn't want ANY ice cream! To a true chocoholic, the ice cream only gets in the way!:D

Found the thread while searching for the recipe. Finally gave up and emailed Carnival. They coughed up the recipe! Oops.....it's enough for a ship full of people. If I ever get around to the conversions, I'll post. Maybe someone else will be really ambitious and post them for us. (Or, with the ingredients in hand, there's probably a similar, smaller recipe out there somewhere.) Good luck! Here it is:

MELTING CHOCOLATE CAKE:

80 lb Black chocolate

80 lb Butter

800 ea Eggs

50lb Sugar

30lb Flour

METHOD:

getmsg?&msg=57844D68-FD7C-495A-8D2C-5486CAA9974B&start=0&len=22499&curmbox=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000001&a=8f387d9b2a6f14e4a9db572c59c457ca796447521ac9ef19b7495f1b83c30d6e&mimepart=5 Melt the chocolate & butter

getmsg?&msg=57844D68-FD7C-495A-8D2C-5486CAA9974B&start=0&len=22499&curmbox=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000001&a=8f387d9b2a6f14e4a9db572c59c457ca796447521ac9ef19b7495f1b83c30d6e&mimepart=5 Mix the eggs & sugar and whisk for few minutes, add the flour

getmsg?&msg=57844D68-FD7C-495A-8D2C-5486CAA9974B&start=0&len=22499&curmbox=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000001&a=8f387d9b2a6f14e4a9db572c59c457ca796447521ac9ef19b7495f1b83c30d6e&mimepart=5 Add the egg mix to the melted chocolate and mix

getmsg?&msg=57844D68-FD7C-495A-8D2C-5486CAA9974B&start=0&len=22499&curmbox=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000001&a=8f387d9b2a6f14e4a9db572c59c457ca796447521ac9ef19b7495f1b83c30d6e&mimepart=5 Pour the mix in a greased mould.

getmsg?&msg=57844D68-FD7C-495A-8D2C-5486CAA9974B&start=0&len=22499&curmbox=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000001&a=8f387d9b2a6f14e4a9db572c59c457ca796447521ac9ef19b7495f1b83c30d6e&mimepart=5 Bake directly in the oven at 200 C° for 14 minutes

Note: - Please make sure that the eggs are at room temperature and chocolate is warm enough while making the mixture

In order to do the conversion, we'd have to know how many servings the original recipe makes.

I guess I'm in the extreme minority but I really didn't like it. I thought it would be like chocolate cake but it was watery like when you got into it....like eating straight up chocolate sauce......you know the kind that makes chocolate milk:eek:

Agreed...this stuff was gross. Like someone forgot to mix a cup of hot chocolate correctly and then called it a cake. Yuk.

Agreed...this stuff was gross. Like someone forgot to mix a cup of hot chocolate correctly and then called it a cake. Yuk.

I wouldn't exactly call it groos but after reading about it here I thought I would give it a try on my last cruise. After a few spoons of the stuff I had enough, I guess that is why they have horse races.

I emailed them and asked for the recipe......they mail me this:

Serving Size 25

2 pounds semisweet chocolate

2 pounds butter

19 1/2 eggs (not quite sure how to get 1/2 an egg ;))

1/2 pound of sugar

2/3 pound of flour

Melt chocolate & butter

Mix half egg & sugar and whisk for a few minutes and add flour. Then add the balance egg.

Pour the mixture in the ramekin cups.

Bake directly in the oven at 200 C for 15 to 20 minutes

Dust with powdered sugar and serve with vanilla ice cream.

:p Thought I was the only one. I mean when it said "warm" I figured it would be good and the rave reviews of it here make you think it's the best thing since sliced bread.

I didn't realize warm meant watery. I thought it would be solid warm chocolate cake. I ate around 3 bites and my stomach couldn't take it anymore. They top looks normal and firm but it was like a bowl of chocolate sauce...something a little kid with an extreme sugar high would want:eek: