Live from the Noordam - Carib

tomc

Actually, if they purchased Fox News, they might get all of the Fox stations same as they got other stations for buying CNN......all part of the Fox package. James Gallup explained all that in the Fox News thread.

Message from Hotel Manager regarding last night's dining problems.

We had our Roll Call get-together this morning in the Crow's Nest, courtesy of HAL, and a fine time it was. The Captain was there to greet each of us, as well as the HM, Henk somebody (I'll get his last name later).

I spoke with Henk about the problems of last night and he was VERY concerned. He said that people are supposed to be served as they arrive. That is, last night's deal where all entrees came at once, even though one couple was a half-hour later than us, is NOT what they meant by this style of dining. They meant, "arrive between 5:30 and 6:00 and be served as usual." He is going to check into it.

The major problem, he said, was two surprise inspections, one by the USCG and the other by the CDC. That fouled up all their usual timing and created some major difficulties.

I said that we would see how the meal went tonight. Told him our table agreed that if this was going to be the standard, we were all going to have supper in the Lido and, in fact, one woman got tired of waiting and did just that.

He assured me that this was a first-night screw up and all should go just the way it has in the past with the style we were used to.

Stay tuned for further details.

Thanks, Tom. I think the HM may be Henk Mensink.....His wife, Crystal, is usually the Concierge in Neptune Lounge when he is aboard.

Please let us know how dinner goes tonight. Hope it is better.

It is very good of you to share you valuable cruise time providing us with this information.

Have fun.

The Lido windows seem to be Polarized. When you look at the sun on the water, you get those little dancing diamonds, instead of a big, blinding splash. I experimented with my sunglasses, turning them slowly and, indeed, you can make them disappear when the polarizations cancel each other. Just thought you'd like to know.

HAL does not push alcohol, thank goodness. But it was funny when a bar assistant went into the AA meeting and asked if Bill or any of his friends would like a drink before their meeting started. (joke)

Late last night, I saw 50 flying fish followed by a bunch of fishing boats with harpoons, President Bush and the Supreme Court jurists riding a whale and the entire Noordam staff doing a conga line on the water next to the ship. Whatever they slipped into my tea in the Crow's Nest, I want more! No matter what I feel like the next morning.

The CC meeting, as mentioned above, was very nice. We expected some low-level cruise staffer to get stuck with us, but when I saw the nice coffee ware, then the HM and the Captain, I realized we were Hot Stuff indeed. Even a sign saying this part of the room was reserved for the Cruise Critic reception. They could not have been nicer to us! Board names are dangerous; two of the people were a different gender than I thought... uh-oh. At least I didn't let on.

Heading south with all deliberate speed. I think we're off Virginia somewhere.

It does make sense that there would be a Fox package deal such as with CNN. We never watch anything except CNN International or one of the movie channels, so I had forgotten there were other CNN offerings on HAL ships.

I also hadn't seen it had been mentioned on the FNC thread, though it was not JG who posted it but one of his aliases. I ignore posts where I know someone uses dual or even triple names and had to go back to see the information posted. Posting under a variety of names makes it way too easy for someone to say one thing one day and another the next and then what is one to believe. :confused:

Late last night, I saw 50 flying fish followed by a bunch of fishing boats with harpoons, President Bush and the Supreme Court jurists riding a whale and the entire Noordam staff doing a conga line on the water next to the ship. Whatever they slipped into my tea in the Crow's Nest, I want more! No matter what I feel like the next morning.

I have that tea all the time, It's GREAT;)

Great reports Tom....

Mark....

tomc,

we're on Noordam's 11/25 cruise. what are the internet rates these days?

thanks much.

Janet from VA

p.s. hope they do away with that dining concept, sounds awful. fortunately we are sailing with 2 other couples so will all arrive at the same time for dinner--unless we are assigned a table for more than 6.

It does make sense that there would be a Fox package deal such as with CNN. We never watch anything except CNN International or one of the movie channels, so I had forgotten there were other CNN offerings on HAL ships.

I also hadn't seen it had been mentioned on the FNC thread, though it was not JG who posted it but one of his aliases. I ignore posts where I know someone uses dual or even triple names and had to go back to see the information posted. Posting under a variety of names makes it way too easy for someone to say one thing one day and another the next and then what is one to believe. :confused:

It isn't worth the bother to go back and look but I'm sure you're right and one of the other personnas must have written it.

tom: glad to see you are doing well and getting along ok with your "cabinmate". Sorry I missed you in NY-we got off the Noordam yesterday morning after a great transatlantic cruise from Rome.

It is interesting to read about your CC get-together and as it is totally opposite of how our CC group of about 50 people were treated on the Noordam. We got invites to a "private function" and there was no sign outside the lounge informing anyone that the lounge had been reserved, so we had people poking their heads in wondering what was going on. The worst of if was that only the Beverage Manager made an appearance and it appeared he had no idea who we were or why we were meeting---no HM, no CD, no Captain. Ours was handled very poorly in comparison to yours, but I'm happy for you that someone made an effort to welcome the CC-HAL faithful to the Noordam on your cruise.

Hope you have a great cruise!

Sail: Mr. Mensink was the HM on our cruise as well. I just don't understand what happened and why we were treated so differently than on TomC's cruise. Our CC get-together was on Oct 3, a sea day and 6 days into our 16-day cruise. If the HM, Captain, CD, etc could not attend due to other obligations, it certainly was not conveyed to us.

BTW, on the cruise video DVD you and DH are shown participating in the christening ceremony--what a treat to see you on stage and being a part of the Noordam's cruise video!

Hi TomC

I'm *so* glad you're posting "live" from the Noordam. At least I'll know what's going on aboard ship since Mom & Dad (Lanie & Ronnie) are there with you.

They called me 4 times yesterday - once when the got aboard; once from the cabin; then to tell me departure was delayed and then when they were done with dinner (they have the 5:45PM seating). It's a tradition among us to call when passing the Statue of Liberty! They figured I'd wonder why they didn't call!

Hope the trip turns out great for all of you - I'll look forward to reading your updates.

Happy Cruising!

Sail: Mr. Mensink was the HM on our cruise as well. I just don't understand what happened and why we were treated so differently than on TomC's cruise. Our CC get-together was on Oct 3, a sea day and 6 days into our 16-day cruise. If the HM, Captain, CD, etc could not attend due to other obligations, it certainly was not conveyed to us.

BTW, on the cruise video DVD you and DH are shown participating in the christening ceremony--what a treat to see you on stage and being a part of the Noordam's cruise video!

That is a puzzle, Bill.....why they would be so responsive this week but not the cruise before. I'm sorry to hear it and think it very too bad.

Thanks for the note about the DVD. We have a DVD from the Inaugural Cruise which has the Christening Ceremony. Needless to say, we treasure it and can't wait for our January Noordam cruise. :) I guess they're including the Christening Ceremony on the DVD's for all the cruises during Noordam's Inaugural Year.

Welcome Back. Eager to hear more about your cruise. Hope you'll post some comments??

Tom,

I so enjoy reading your posts! Love your humor.

Regarding the experiment with dining, if HAL wants to offer more choices in dining, they should take the Princess lead.

We were on the Caribbean Princess last winter and had Anytime Dining instead of Traditional Dining. By so doing, we could dine anytime in the Coral Dining Room, Palm Dining Room or, for an additional fee (same as Pinnacle) dine in Sabatini's or Sterling Steak House. And, of course, there was the Lido Buffet, the back portion of which served dinner each night with a different Caribbean menu each night...waiters...not "buffet style."

And, for those that prefer traditional dining, there was the Island Dining Room.

We dined four evenings in the Palm Dining Room (2 formal nights and two other)....same table/same waiter....loved him! It was same as traditional dining except (and that's a huge factor) we could adjust the time to suit what we were doing during the day.

First night we were tired so just had the Seafood Buffet in the Lido Buffet. The other two nights, we went to Sterling and Sabatini's. It worked perfectly.

The Dining Experience

What we experienced tonight appears to be exactly what HAL planned and I think it's great.

The first night was a disaster and if you go up above to my post where I spoke with the HM, you will find the details. The problem was solved and there is no reason to bewail it; none of us here are.

I arrived first, my order was taken and the soup arrived. Another person arrived later, her order was taken. Her soup arrived as my salad came out. This went on thru the meal; as I had ordered first, my meal came out about one course ahead of hers. We had a good time. I was going to wait for her and the other couple, but the waiter suggested I not do that; good idea, as the other couple never showed.

I think what we had tonight was good; it works if your table mates are late and it's good if you will be late because you aren't holding anyone up. I am in favor of this and happily recommend it. HAL does, indeed, have its act together here and when you try it, you will agree that it's a good way to serve supper.

Live from the Mayflower.

The Pilgrims never had it so good.

Thou sayest these art eggs-scrambled? Forsooth, this chicken hath seen its Maker months ago.

I paid one pound, two quid thruppence and I have the same hay mattress as the commoners. Someone shalt be drawn and quartered over this.

We were better under the Archduke. When the King's Caernaevale Company bought it, there were so many cutbacks. No more Gideon Bibles, you have to pay for your afternoon porridge and there's only two commoners to wait on us.

They have me sleeping next to the milk machine. All it does is "moo" all night.

What dost thou mean we art landing at Plymouth instead of the Cape of Cod? We have the stone already inscribed and now we have to do it over.

That man yonder, always writing. Is he one of us? I think not. Even his buckles give him away. We shouldsay, "Art thou writing a book? Well, leave this chapter out!" Ha ha. I'm sorry that I did backslide and laugh.

--Overheard by Jon mal de Merde, in his book "Mayflower: A Romanist's View of the Voyage."

Archived