Origin of Grill??

Freckles67

Hi all,

I am curious.... what is the origin of the term GRILL as in Queen and Princess Grill? In December hubby and I will sail on QM2, our first Cunard experience, and I have no idea what this term means, other than more expen$ive with more frills.

I sailed on FRANCE in 1974, and there were three classes of passengers, but none of them had grill in their names. I remember tourist class, and first class (Peter Fonda was in first class on this crossing) but I can't remember the name of the middle class, maybe it was excursion? That's where I was... in a tiny little cabin with bunk beds. However, we had a porthole... what luxury!

Cheers,

Freckles

The first seperate extra-fee restaurant on a Cunarder was on the AQUITANIA (1914) - a response to White Star putting them on their OLYMPIC (1911) class, which in turn had been a response to HAPAG putting a Ritz Carlton restaurant on the AMERIKA of 1905.

Peter, Guernsey

The first seperate extra-fee restaurant on a Cunarder was on the AQUITANIA (1914) - a response to White Star putting them on their OLYMPIC (1911) class, which in turn had been a response to HAPAG putting a Ritz Carlton restaurant on the AMERIKA of 1905.

Peter, Guernsey

Hi all,

I sailed on FRANCE in 1974, and there were three classes of passengers, but none of them had grill in their names. I remember tourist class, and first class (Peter Fonda was in first class on this crossing) but I can't remember the name of the middle class, maybe it was excursion? That's where I was... in a tiny little cabin with bunk beds. However, we had a porthole... what luxury!

Cheers,

Freckles

Are you sure there was a third class? My wife and I crossed in the autumn of 1973 and there were only two classes. The tourist class area of the ship was basically divided in two: fore and aft. There was a separate purser's bureau for each part of the tourist class. I have checked my deck plan and brochure from that period to refresh my memory. At one point I went to the aft purser's bureau with an enquiry and after being asked our cabin number, I was brusquely told that I should deal with the forward one as that is where our cabin was. There were only two dining rooms; the tourist one had a mezzanine. We also had a small cabin with bunk beds. Our return from Southampton was on the QE2 in a slightly larger cabin with two lower beds, yet the price was approximately the same.

I sailed on The France in 1973 as well and there were only two classes, first and tourist. However, in the heyday of transatlatic sea travel there were indeed three classes on most ships and the middle class was usually referred to as Cabin Class.

Most fashionable London hotels from the 1900s onwards, such as the Carlton, Ritz, Savoy, Dorchester etc. had a Grill Room as well as a restaurant. The term referring to the simpler style of food served there, such as grilled steaks etc. The Grill Room was traditionally the preserve of men, whilst the restaurant would have been for couples. By the 1930s the Grill Rooms had generally become fashionable and therefore Cunard used the description for the Verandah Grill aboard Queen Mary. The term "Grill Class" did not appear until the advent of the Queens' Grill on QE2, where it was necessary to distinguish from First "Columbia?" Class.

Thanks for your replies. I was wondering about how the name grill originated. As I understand your replies, it is from the more simple grilled food? Is the QM2 Grill class food cooked separately in a smaller kitchen than the Britannia food? I was puzzled why a luxury section of the ship would be called grill, which reminds me of a barbecue.

My memories of FRANCE are fuzzy at best. I was travelling with a young man, but not in the same cabin. He was down in the bowels of the ship in an inside cabin. I was much higher up, one deck above the restaurant I believe, and I thought there was a distinction between our two classes. He was travelling as a student on a very discounted ticket and I got a steal of a deal on my outside cabin, which I shared with a spinster lady who was a stranger to me. I remember eating in the tourist class restaurant, so I guess I was a tourist class person too. I kept a diary during the crossing, which is somewhere in a box in my attic. Wish I could find it to refresh my memory! We left NYC the day that Nixon resigned, the second to the last crossing that FRANCE made..... My love of ships started way back in 1974 on FRANCE. She was a beauty of a ship.

My memories of FRANCE are fuzzy at best. I was travelling with a young man, but not in the same cabin. He was down in the bowels of the ship in an inside cabin. I was much higher up, one deck above the restaurant I believe, and I thought there was a distinction between our two classes. He was travelling as a student on a very discounted ticket and I got a steal of a deal on my outside cabin, which I shared with a spinster lady who was a stranger to me. I remember eating in the tourist class restaurant, so I guess I was a tourist class person too. I kept a diary during the crossing, which is somewhere in a box in my attic. Wish I could find it to refresh my memory! We left NYC the day that Nixon resigned, the second to the last crossing that FRANCE made..... My love of ships started way back in 1974 on FRANCE. She was a beauty of a ship.

Wow!

What an incredible story, Freckles!

I would love to hear more about what it was like "back then" (When I was in college!) I cannot imagine today, any sort of trip where you would be sharing a cabin with strangers! At least, not a traditional ocean liner trip.

Sort of shades of the earlier part of the century.

Did you simply sleep there at night and were out and about the rest of the day? I cannot imagine sharing a cabin with another woman at all, when I am dressing for dinner, even a friend! I suspect a stranger would probably have me tossed overborad, forthwith and with haste! (Not to mention I wouldn't want to leave valuables around or be responsible of someone else's!)

Karie,

Who gets panicky when she's running late, and starts throwing things everywhere, looking for the right earrings or the ID card she has lost three times! (And which is always right where she put it...after Marc has gone down and gotten her another)

Yes, Kari, it was very strange and quite uncomfortable in a tiny cabin with a grumpy spinster. She was not at all happy to be sharing with me. I was a hippie chick at the time with a wardrobe of blue jeans and casual hippie tops. I had several dates during the crossing, one with an officer, and one with a gorgeous French first class waiter. He called the next day, and spinster answered the phone and told him never to call "her" cabin again!!! I was quite upset about that, and never saw my handsome waiter again. :( Also, my traveling companion was a young man with very long hair, which he wore in a pony tail. We decided to cut his hair in "my" cabin, and the spinster arrived in the middle of the haircut. You can imagine her displeasure at that!

We were traveling to Europe with backpacks and Eurail passes. I have an interesting story about boarding the ship. Should I go on, or is this terribly off topic???

To bring it back to the QM2, I called my TA and upgraded us to Princess Grill guarantee.... no room number yet, and we are wait listed #7 for the Princess dining room. What does that mean??? Will we be eating in the Britannia?

Should I go on, or is this terribly off topic?

Yes, it is off topic, but then we seldom stay on topic for very long. So please go on - I can't wait to hear your "interesting story":)

(You can always make a pretence of bringing it back on topic by asking a QE2/QM2 question)

Alrighty then... here's my story. I rode the 191 bus from New Jersey in to the Port Authority terminal in NYC. I had no idea what time to board the ship. I arrived at the dock VERY early. The first person I met was the gorgeous French waiter. He directed me to two of the port officers. They informed me that I would have a very long wait, and then invited me to accompany them both to a bar for a beer! I was to meet my traveling companion at the ship, but since I was so early, off we went to a little bar which I seem to recall was inside the terminal building. Several beers later we were all very happy. My companion arrived just in time to board the ship. There we were, two hippies with long hair and backpacks. I was oblivious to the implications of boarding a grand ocean liner without the proper attire, never having sailed before. There was a very long boarding line in the cavernous terminal. My two port officer pals saw us in line and pulled us out. They informed us that we were special friends of the Port Authority, and said we would have the privilege of boarding before anyone else! So there we were, backpacked and blue jeaned, walking past the queue of well dressed passengers with lovely leather luggage. I remember one man near the front of the line saying, "You've got to be kidding me! THEY are getting on FIRST???" And so we did! What fun! I'm sure that this special treatment would never occur in this post 911 world.

Our sailing was delayed for some long forgotten reason. Onboard I found one television, a 50s model in a floor cabinet with a very smeary picture, in a lobby, and with many people gathered around it. Nixon was giving his resignation speech! An historic moment! Suddenly I felt the floor vibrate and realized we were setting sail. What to do? Watch Nixon resign? Go out on deck and watch NYC float by? When Nixon said, "I have never been a quitter" I decided it was time to leave him and Watergate and the TV and the USA behind. I went out on deck and saw the beautiful sight of the NYC skyline floating by. I have seen Nixon's speech several times over the years, and I know exactly where I was and when I walked out on deck. A happy memory indeed! The next day, out at sea, there was no TV (no satellites!) and the only way to hear the news was on the telephone. I listened to Gerald Ford's inauguration via phone. How quaint!

Back to topic.... what does wait list for Princess Grill seating mean? :rolleyes:

Freckles,

I don't believe that talking about your experiences traveling on a great ocean liner is at all off topic! Many have been the discussions of the SS France. Dissent is welcome, of course, but I doubt you'll find any here who would not want to share your memories of such travel!

I suspect we are very close in age, so I can relate to the times and the mores.

As for Princess wait list, I really don't know, but it always seems like there is a little bit of shift there. Someone may get upgrade to Queen's Grill, someone may have to cancel for reasons unknown. I think you have a good shot, personally. Cunard is always willing to take more money! <G>

Karie,

Who also wants to hear more!

We are booked in P3 guaranteed... and hoping for a complimentary upgrade, of course! This is for the December 16th Caribbean week. We will celebrate our 28th wedding anniversary onboard. This former hippie chick finally found her handsome prince, but it has taken me many years to find a ship that he will enjoy. We were going to book on NORWAY/FRANCE, but the engine room disaster ended that plan and, sadly, now she is at Alang. We did a week on Carnival.... no more fun ships for him!!! I'm sure that QM2 will fit the bill! Any other restaurant advice is most welcome! Thanks for your help.

Freckles

PS Kari, I graduated from high school in '67, right when the Sgt. Pepper album was released... how close in age are we?

> Most fashionable London hotels from the 1900s onwards, such as the Carlton, Ritz, Savoy, Dorchester etc. had a Grill Room as well as a restaurant.

Thanks for that information. According to my newspaper the Savoy Grill has been given a referb and has a celebrity chef. Apparently they even allow j…..

Best wishes, Stephen.

PS. As a teenager I rebelled by dressing inappropriately for the American Bar (at the Savoy). I think my parents had it easy.

We are booked in P3 guaranteed

That means that you will get at least a P3 although you may get higher. I've no idea what "wait list for Princess Grill seating" means though:(

According to my newspaper the Savoy Grill has been given a referb and has a celebrity chef. Apparently they even allow j…..

Best wishes, Stephen.

PS. As a teenager I rebelled by dressing inappropriately for the American Bar (at the Savoy). I think my parents had it easy.

I've not been back since he took it over.

We are booked in P3 guaranteed

That means that you will get at least a P3 although you may get higher. I've no idea what "wait list for Princess Grill seating" means though:(

According to my newspaper the Savoy Grill has been given a referb and has a celebrity chef. Apparently they even allow j…..

Best wishes, Stephen.

I've not been back since he took it over.

When I sailed on the France in 1973 I was lucky enough to sail First Class. The food in the Normandie Dining Room was extraordinary, truly like dining in a three star restaurant every evening. I still remember the spun sugar cages that would envelop the desserts.

Back then the public rooms for the different classes were blocked off from one another so tourist class passengers could not use First class public rooms. However, every night after dinner, we used to sneak from First Class down to the lounges in tourist class because that's where all the fun people were. We'd dance and have a great time, and we always stood out because we were in black tie. The France was a true ocean liner and I will always treasure my sailing on her.

I sailed on the original Queen Mary from Southampton to New York in April of 1966. In First Class accomadations. How well do I remember the hours spent in the "Verandah Griil," high up on the superstructure and the special elevator to gain entrance...a 5 (five) Pound surcharge (If I remember correctly) for First Class passengers. The waiter stood with a blank order pad....No menu in sight... "What do you feel like having tonight, Sir!" They claimed they were seldom unable to provide what was ordered. The Dance Band that would play until the last couple left the floor, often as dawn was breaking. I remember the many chats with the late Commodore W. E. Warwick, what a wonderful wit and charm he had. Again. if memory serves me riight, "The Verandah Grill" did not open until late evening. A long past era, never to be seen again.

I will raise my glass in a toast to those wonderful days, as this time I sail from Southampton to Ft Lauderdale on Nov 18 and will be enjoying the Britannia Resaurant! not "the Verandah Grill.

Thanks for the memories of the original Queen Mary. I've spent two nights on this grand old ship. I have two albums online at Kodakgallery.com, but can't figure out how to post a link to them here. If anyone is interested, send me an email: meezer67 at aol dot com and I will send you a personal invitation! ;)

Freckles,

If it is just a URL, you can just highlight over it, Right Click and select "Copy" from the dropdown menu.

Then come over here, and in a post, position your cursor where you want to place it. I usually right click, but you will notice that inside a post the menu does not include "paste" Now go up to "Edit" at the top of the page (your browser'[s page- not the Cruise Critic page) and choose "Paste" from the Drop Down menu. I have found that it is a bit quirky. Sometimes I need to right click in the post in order to hit "edit, Paste"

This should work for most operating systems and browsers, if not all.

Karie,

Geek, but still no smarter than the average 7 year old when it comes to most of this stuff!

Archived