Too hot to handle Mediterranean in August?

We booked the FREEDOM in August but I am wondering who has been in Rome, Pisa, Naples area in August. Looks like 80 degrees is par. Is this miserable for tours? Or delightful? We are a young family in the 30's and able bodied but not sure if we should go earlier or later..?? :confused:

IMHO, most tourists would wilt in that heat and humidity in the summer. The Med is best in the spring and fall. If your dates are flexible, could you travel earlier or later? May, June, late September, and October are fantastic.

If you must travel in July or August, perhaps you could consider an Alaskan or Scandinavian destination!

I went this past summer on a Med cruise in late July - early August...

It was super hot and humid during that time. In Barcelona it was over 100 degrees.

However, during that time we were going through a worldwide heatwave so it wasn't any worse than where I live. And besides, I live in So Cal where its always hot in the summer, so I'm used to it. The heat is just something you get used to. We didn't wilt in the heat, and it didn't affect our touring ability or our comfort level.

Just my opinion

In August the conditions are normally hot and humid. Another thing to consider is that August/September are peak months for vacations. We've been to Rome in August and September and the weather conditions are doubly miserable when you have to wait in long lines or see attractions among throngs of people (i.e., at the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain).

Just did the last 2 weeks in August. I thought the weather was fine. No worse than it would be at home in NYC. Ok, Athens was a little uncomfortable, I'll give you that.

I'd 2nd the comment about European vacation crowds. Positano was pretty crowded, and I heard from others that Capri was "a nightmare." The upside was, no traffic in and around Rome, so we got to see so much that day.

We have cruised the Med twice, in August and in May. We thought the weather was fine in August. And we actually found Rome and Florence to be MUCH less crowded in August. I'd just pick the trip that best fits your schedule. Have fun!

If you don't like the heat and humidity, then choose a different time. By young family I am assuming you have small children who can get quite cranky when the temps get high.

Late June,July and August are the most predictable months for the temps to be high and the humidity to be up there. But nothing is a guarantee when it comes to the weather.

We've traveled many times in the eastern med during different months. Rome, Florence(Pisa) and Naples will be around 80-90 degrees F during the early afternoon in August and then the temps slowly come back down.

You will always have crowds at the tourist sites and the only time to avoid that is go in the winter months.

Buy your tour tickets ahead of time to avoid the long lines. If you have ship or private tours, all the cars/van/buses will mostly likely be airconditioned. If you go to Pompeii to tour the site, go in the morning.

Late September/early October is when the seasonal changes occur and again you could end up with more rain than sunshine.

Pick the date you can do and go for it. You won't regret it.

PTC

We've cruised the Med in August (2003--the hottest summer on record in Europe) and in July (this year) and I've also been in the region in June and in December...

Don't let anyone talk you out of going ANYTIME...

First of all, yeah, in August it gets hot...but pretty much the SAME HOT we have here in So Cal...In fact, no matter what some people here insist, it is NOT particularly humid...The general climate in MOST of the region is identical to Southern California (This is not purely my opinion, it's scientific fact...Climatologists call this the "Mediterranean Climate" and it exists in only a few places in the world based on some rare geographic qualities--Southern California, Central Coastal Chile, Perth Australia, Capetown South Africa, Israel, Greece, the area around Gibraltar--including parts of Spain and Morocco, parts of Tunesia and the coastal areas of the peninsula of Italy)...It's characterized by very low annual rainfall with virtually zero rain from May to October, very low humidity, etc. Any humidity you get will be NOWHERE like what one experiences in Florida or the Eastern US...

So, yes, while it is HOT (and maybe very hot), it is quite bearable...especially since you are on vacation and you can dress for it...and prepare for it...One thing I do is that I bought an insulated water bottle (with shoulder strap) and, before leaving the ship each morning, I fill it with as much ice (then adding water until full) as I can...This thing keeps us in ice water all day...

Obviously, if heat bothers you a great deal, it's preferable to go in May/June...But, if like us, you need to fit this into school vacation schedules and August is when you can go, then GO!!!

As to Europeans taking vacations at that time, really it is no big deal...It has little effect on your cruise and touring...

It is a wonderful region to cruise no matter what time of year you go...

I hope to go several more times...and likely will always go in July/August...at least until my wife one day retires from her school district job...

I think that 80 degrees sounds really low (maybe they are averaging the day and night temps?). I did a Mediterranean cruise in July, and it was 100 degrees plus in Rome. We live in southern Arizona now, so it's not that I'm not used to the heat, but I was miserable with the humidity (add to that the "cover your shoulders in churches", lack of strong a/c most places, etc.).

We are going in May next year, and I think it should be much more comfortable (I hope!). If we had kids at home, I would think about a cruise right after school is out, JMHO.

Hi There,

Did the med this summer after a few days of 100 degrees we missed a couple of ports just to stay on the ship and laze by a pool, had a great time, like the sun but after a few days of dripping clothes standing in ques lack of AC .

If this was the only time I could go I wouyld still go but be prepared, there is just so much to see and learn etc.

Have a great trip,

yours Shogun

Any humidity you get will be NOWHERE like what one experiences in Florida or the Eastern US...

I thought the same exact thing when I went to the Med this summer. I didn't feel any humidity, it was like being in So Cal at the same exact time.

I know others have said that Athens was the worst weather wise, but I beleive that on my trip Barcelona was the worst weather wise as it was over 100 degrees on the day we were there pre-cruise. But it was fine. It was what the temperature was back home for us. And I didn't experience humidity anywhere along the cruise route.

Archived