Formal night question

lgarner

We will be taking a ten day Celebrity cruise soon. We have cruised X, HAL and Princess but this is our first Celebrity that only has 2 sea days. According to the brochure, there will be 3 formal nights but as far as I can remember on all our other cruises formal nights have always been on sea days - never when we are in port. Does anyone know what normally happens when there are only 2 sea days? Do you think its safe to go by what the brochure says? I hate to pack 3 long dresses for two nights! Thanks in advance.

Lisa

X can definitely have a formal night on a port day. I would go by what is listed on the web site. Perhaps if you list the cruise you are going on, someone who has recently been on a similar sailing can help tell you when the formal nights will be.

They will probably do what Jewel did on our 12-night summer cruise. We had a formal night on the port day with the shortest stay. We left Plymouth at 3 instead of 5 or later. The other 2 formal nights were on the two sea days.

1/02 Explorer E. Carib.

1/03 Explorer W. Carib.

8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour

2/04 Adventure S. Carib.

2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal

6/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords + 3 days in London

1/07 Mercury Mexican Riviera

I always just pack one long black formal skirt and accessorize around it. Three formal tops can pack very small and you can have something different to wear each and every formal night. My husband packs a tuxedo he bought new (what a bargain with the number of cruises and formal events we have attended), and takes a vest and cumberbund for a bit of variety. The formal clothes this way for three nights are barely more than packing for one or two nights.

Last year on the Galaxy we had a formal night after a day in port. But as Kathie did on the Jewel it was a day where there was a "short" time in port with plenty of time to dress for dinner. Definitely do plan on 3 formal nights.

On our 14 day Hawaii cruise one of the formal night was on a port day. While the majority of formal nights are on sea days, given the itineraries there are times when that is not possible, thus the need to have a formal night on a port day.

Keith

On our 13 night West. Med we had our first formal night after port in Brugge (2nd night) with a sailing at 5pm another one after port in Gibraltar (7th night) and 3rd on at sea day (10day). the middle formal night was listed as formal/informal so you could choose how to dress since it was a port day.

Our cruise was so port intentsive that we had to have formal nights after ports as we only had 3 nights at sea plus the last day at sea which we could not do as formal with packing to leave.

Hope this helps,

Francine

We will be taking a ten day Celebrity cruise soon. We have cruised X, HAL and Princess but this is our first Celebrity that only has 2 sea days. According to the brochure, there will be 3 formal nights but as far as I can remember on all our other cruises formal nights have always been on sea days - never when we are in port. Does anyone know what normally happens when there are only 2 sea days? Do you think its safe to go by what the brochure says? I hate to pack 3 long dresses for two nights! Thanks in advance.

Lisa

Hi Lisa :)

Even though we had four sea days during our recent Baltic Cruise on the Constellation, two of our three formal nights were on port days. On both of those days, the ship did not depart until 5:00 PM, so it was a little hectic for people who had early dinner :)

Archived