Baked Alaska

stoneharborlady

I know ice cream is involved, but could someone tell me what else? Have never had this treat, and wondered what all the fuss is about. I understand that Princess no longer does the parade around the dining room because of safety issues, is this served flaming?

Thanks, Karen

Baked Alaska is a layer of sponge cake (or similar) topped with ice cream. This is then coated with meringue and cooked very quickly in a hot over til the meringue browns. As an optional finishing touch, it can be covered with brandy and set alight.:eek:

Baked Alaska is a layer of sponge cake (or similar) topped with ice cream. This is then coated with meringue and cooked very quickly in a hot over til the meringue browns. As an optional finishing touch, it can be covered with brandy and set alight.:eek:

Wow, it does sound yummy. Thank you so much for the quick answer.

Karen

Maybe I am the only person here that does NOT like baked alaska. My husband can ahrdly wait until that is the dessert in the dining room, and I never order it. Just my opinion, but I don't think it is a big deal.

I was never a baked alaska fan, however on the last Celebrity cruise I went on this past summer, they served an AWESOME baked alaska on Millenium. It was as described above, except the ice cream was encased in a thin crisp pastry crust prior to the maringue topping.

• 3 weeks later...

I worked in a very well known restaurant in Alaska and we did not use meringe, all we did was take a piece of sponge cake, forn a round ball of ice cream around it, about the size of a baseball, roll it in frosted flakes, dip it in the deep fryer for about 3 seconds, put whipped cream on top and serve.

• 2 weeks later...

Baked Alaska is not Fried Ice cream or fried cream and I do like them both. On most cruises they really do not make the real version of Baked Alaska. We had a wonderful Restaurant in San Francisco that was famous for Baked Alaska it was called Ernies. Theres was the best made with real Mirangue not marshmellow cream that most of the cruise lines use. Happy Sailing, Joy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I love making Baked Alaska and I love eating it. This is not the "traditional" recipe (please don't lecture me)but I take any flavor cake or brownies (esspresso brownies - yum) add any flavor ice cream (butter pecan), freeze well. Whip up a meringue, cover and seal in the icecream to the cake, bake in a preheated 450* oven 6-8 minutes until it is browned all over but the ice cream is still frozen inside its "blanket". Then "they" suggest using a clean egg shell half and filling it with liquor and lighting it and pouring it over the cake. I don't bother with the flame. You can make them little personal ones or a big 9x9 one.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Did a week on the Statendam to Alaska July1-8. They served their version of baked Alaska every night but one. Not the best. Maybe they're afraid of the eggwhites not being fully cooked. Once was plenty. The night of the parade, they just assume eveyone is dying to have it again and it is the only choice. It was also the night of the big chocolate EXTRAVAGANZA. Or something like that. If you have the second dinner and go to the second show, run on up or they'll have it disassembled by the time you get there. Very disappointing. They recycled wilted flower arrangements from other locations on the ship for use on the tables and I'm sure the bread/chocolate sculptures get an occassional dusting. My daughter, a florist, spent the second half of the week hoping someone would remove the dead or dying flowers from the arrangements. They never did. Nothing prettier than a wilted, black rose. Flowers must not be part of the FIVE STAR service they continually remind you of.

• 2 years later...

Archived