Hertz

Canuck Cruzer

Hertz on STM have been known not to honor reservation rates acknowledged from web site or phone here in the states. They may have changed frachisee in the last year. If you are a #1 member that already had your credit card info.

I was torn between booking between these two places. I kept reading things on here...and for whatever reason, I went to the Hertz website and did it.

I phoned them today. They lady I talked to said she can't see the reservation yet...but to wait until Saturday, as sometimes they take a day or two to come through. But still, it didn't ask for a credit card number, and I would think they would want that if they were reserving a vehicle for me.

She said she would email me when it comes through, and if didn't she would touch base on Saturday.

I will give it until then...and if nothing happens, I will book with Arthur's. Hertz can't do anything...they don't have my credit card.

Worst case scenario....I stay on the ship and have a drink. :D

Just a tip, and you may already know this, but be sure to check the gas gauge before taking off. Or at a minimum, ask WHERE the closest gas station is. Not a great experience running on fumes looking for a station and not having a CLUE where you are at or going. :rolleyes:

I swear they suck out the gas people bring back at the end of the day. :mad:

I have a car reserved with Budget. They didn't ask for a credit card either. But I did receive a confirmation from them that I will take with me.

From my experience with the major car rental agencies...most of them don't require a CC when reserving. It's considered a courtsy hold. As long as you get a confirmation from them that you can print out and take with you...there shouldn't be a problem.

I'm glad they don't ask for my CC in advance.:)

CaribbeanCrazy

Hertz sends you out with a full tank, you then fill it up when returning the car at a Texaco station 1 block from the pier. Some of the local operations send you out with just a little, you have to figure out in advance how much gas you will be using and add it before setting out. There are not a lot of gas stations on the island.

You probably read one of my posts.... we rented from Hertz ahead of our Nov. 2005 cruise.... on St. Martin, Antigua and in San Juan.

They did not ask for a credit card to book and I received an email confirmation for all three reservations with price listed..... so no surprises..

We even had bad weather in San Juan and could not drive up to El Yunque (rainforest) so did not pick up our reserved car (did not even call to cancel) and were not charged a penny.

On St. Martin they gave us a really good map with the car rental (I had ordered one online months before) AND IT HAD ALL THE GAS STATIONS MARKED ON IT..... so no surprises there either.

That is why we book with Hertz (or a larger chain operator)

We have never had any problems such as no car available or not the car we reserved or price change or anything else..... nada zip.

Antigua was also a really nice island to "drive around and do your own thing" on..... only on the left side of the road.....

You probably read one of my posts.... we rented from Hertz ahead of our Nov. 2005 cruise.... on St. Martin, Antigua and in San Juan. ...........

On St. Martin they gave us a really good map with the car rental (I had ordered one online months before) AND IT HAD ALL THE GAS STATIONS MARKED ON IT..... so no surprises there either.

That is why we book with Hertz (or a larger chain operator)

We have never had any problems such as no car available or not the car we reserved or price change or anything else..... nada zip.

I agree fully. With Hertz you get a dependable international chain and the local franchisee gives you a late model car in good running shape with a full tank of gas and a good map. This is not Paramus NJ with 10 gas stations per mile on Rts 17 / 4. On a cruise we always use the Texaco station outside the pier and when we stayed on the island we usually used the big station near Marigot, sometimes late at night.

What location do you select on the Hertz website and is it close to the cruise ship pier?

Go to this website

http://www.sxmrentacar.com/

and specify "cruise ship pier pickup" in the comment area at the bottom of the page.

The pickup site is at the end of the pier, turn right and head past the bus spots and cab spots.

• 1 month later...

Archived