Sun or Star?

howsthis

I am thinking of taking my elderly mum on a cruise and am wondering what others think would be better, the Sun or the Star. I have only been on the Sun and loved it but she lives in Qld and probably would rather leave from Brisbane so I am thinking a cruise up to Cairns etc might be the best for her. Do you have to have a passport to do that cruise? If she does then it gets a bit expensive when now you have to get a new marriage licence etc. before you get your passport. I would appreciate any advice, thank you.

hi howsthis

firstly you dont need a passport for the north queensland cruise. The Star is a fine ship that i would say caters to all age groups. There is pleanty to do both during the days and the nights.

Also if she leaves from Brisbane, then she can save the cost of the air fare for duty free shopping on board.

Hi all,

Maybe someone could clarify this......if Howsthis is thinking of doing the cruise to Cairns and starman has said a passport is not needed, then there will be no duty free onboard as the ship has not left Australian waters??? Maybe things have changed since I last went on a cruise which stayed in Australian waters, but there was no duty free.

Cheryl

My understanding is that you do need a passport for the 7 Night Delight North Qld cruise. To qualify as an int'l cruise, this cruise has a cruise past of Willis Island which is located in international waters. The only cruises that do not require passports are the Melbourne Cup Cruise and The Tassie Cruise.

P&O like to have most cruises go into int'l waters so they can sell duty free and also supply alcohol etc with no GST added.

In the P&O conditions it states:

Passports are required on all cruises except the following: Tropical Queensland 7-night Delight (page 47), Runaway to Sea (N610), Tropical Treats (N617), Dash of Blue (N623), Spring Racing Bliss (N633), Blue Interlude (N710), Golden Getaway (R608), Aqua Gold (R708) and Lush Retreat (P705); however, some form of photo ID is still required on these cruises.

Don't know about the duty free - sorry

Rach

In the P&O conditions it states:

Passports are required on all cruises except the following: Tropical Queensland 7-night Delight (page 47), Runaway to Sea (N610), Tropical Treats (N617), Dash of Blue (N623), Spring Racing Bliss (N633), Blue Interlude (N710), Golden Getaway (R608), Aqua Gold (R708) and Lush Retreat (P705); however, some form of photo ID is still required on these cruises.

Don't know about the duty free - sorry

Rach

Thank you that has helped a lot, just trying to keep the costs down so I can afford to give her a good time, I'm sure she would rather save her spending money for her Chardonnays, I'm paying for the cruise.

Let me restate, you do not need a passport for this cruise. Yes it goes to Willis Island (International Waters) but as it only anchors there and nobody gets off the ship outside of Australia, no passport is required.

I have spoken to my TA and P&O several times to clarify this before i depart on this very cruise in a month.

There is duty free available while the ship is at sea because of the 2 hour stop at Willis Island also. There was discusion about this very topic in another thread about a month ago if i remember correctly

The cruises that you dont need passports for are the ones mentioned earlier by Jessica, the 3 night short break cruises out of Sydney and Brisbane and the circumnavigation of Australia cruise on the Sun Princess when it gets here.

Thanks guys for posting that thread.

I wish CC had a search bar to punch in key words to search for past threads like Trip Advisor. Saves repeating ones self!!

I learnt something and I guess thats what forums are all about!!

Cheryl

Thanks guys for posting that thread.

I wish CC had a search bar to punch in key words to search for past threads like Trip Advisor. Saves repeating ones self!!

I learnt something and I guess thats what forums are all about!!

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

CC does have a search function. On the initial page it is on the left hand side above all the threads. See the pic below I have highlighted it with a square red box.

Cheers,

Chaz:)

CC.JPG.8ef8d0f088029f889de3fa083c46bf4e.JPG

Thanks for that Karen, would have been ok if i knew where to search!!

I'm a regular user of other forums as we are off to Thailand next year and have been researching heaps!! Have found most users on here great!! enjoying talking cruising as I love it!!

Chez

Thanks for that Karen, would have been ok if i knew where to search!!

I'm a regular user of other forums as we are off to Thailand next year and have been researching heaps!! Have found most users on here great!! enjoying talking cruising as I love it!!

Chez

Chook, you just enjoy talking, admit it.:p

And Cheryl, don't worry about asking a question that may have been asked before. We're not like the American forums that blasts anybody for not searching before asking.

Karen

So true Karen. I look forward to new or "old" queries. It gives me something new to read. It's not like we have a million threads to read...

Cheers,

Chaz:)

I'm a regular user of other forums as we are off to Thailand next year and have been researching heaps!!Chez

Cheryl

I know this is off cruise topic, but I have been researching Thailand aswell and was wandering where you have decided to stay.

Karen

Hi Karen,

We are going in April/May and I have done so much research feel like I have already been!

7 nights in Koh Samui at the Samui Paradise resort, 3 nights on Koh Tao at the Koh Tao Beach resort, 6 nights in Phuket at the Kata Palm Resort and 5 nights in Bangkok at the Majestic Grande.

It is so cheap to holiday over there! Thats why I am doing the Tahiti cruise as most Pacific Island hotels are very expensive, so sleeping on the Pacific Dawn and seeing those beautiful Islands will be a dream!

I am happy to help out if you need any info, have a look at www.tripadvisor.com planned most of my holiday from there including accommodation and activities! My email is cherylab@tpg.com.au if I can help some more! I can give you heaps of websites to browse!

Cheryl

Thanks Cheryl, will check those places out.

Friends have recommended Karon Beach and Patong beach.

Im like you. I research so much (first the cruise then Fiji and then Thailand) that my husband said we dont need to go anymore:p

Karen

Archived