Screening of checked baggage

Broughton Hall

I had planned on bringing my own wine on board as apparently this is allowed on Holland America. I know I have to pay the corkage fee and as far as I am concerned that is just fine, at least I get to bring the wine I like. My husband is not a wine drinker, prefers Scotch. The list of Scotch's that you can purchase in advance does not have the brand he usually likes and we were thinking of either (a) trying to bring one in on checked baggage or (b) getting another scotch in room set up that would be okay but not exactly what he prefers. This will be our first Holland America cruise. Do they screen checked baggage and would this be a dumb move for us and we should just go to plan (b) and purchase a suitable alternative. I guess it all boils down to if checked baggage is screened. I know Norwegian is extremely strict on this but don't know about Holland America. We don't mind paying corkage or any other fees, but if I can take the wine on I like it would be nice if my husband coudl take the scotch on he likes. Would appreciate comments.

I had planned on bringing my own wine on board as apparently this is allowed on Holland America. I know I have to pay the corkage fee and as far as I am concerned that is just fine, at least I get to bring the wine I like. My husband is not a wine drinker, prefers Scotch.

You wouldn't even have to pay corkage on the wine if you only drank it in your cabin!

HAL does x-ray baggage, and have been known to ask people to come down (someplace) to open locked baggage, but the worst that could happen is that they would take away the scotch and hold it until disembarkation, same as if you had bought hard liquor at a port-of-call.

What is his rare preferred brand of scotch they never have aboard? I'm curious if there is some wonderful scotch out there about which I am ignorant.

Yes.....HAL does x-ray everything that comes aboard or hand inspects it. Everything.

Yes....they probably will see the contraband bottle in your suitcase. That is if it hasn't broken and leaked all over everything and then they would smell it. ;) )

I would think it highly unlikely they would do anything about finding the bottle but you are aware it is not allowed.

You can call Ships Services before you even board and have scotch delivered to your cabin. Or, once aboard, you can have it delivered from a bar/room service.

BTW..... if you drink your wine in your cabin, you will not be charged a corkage fee. You are only charged the fee if you bring it to the dining room or to Pinnacle.

Have a great cruise.

Thank you for your respones. In response to one quest he likes single malt Talaska or Langavulin (I might have spelt that incorrectly). When I spoke to ship services and obtained a list neither were on there. I'll try them again and do a special request and see what comes back.

I had planned on bringing my own wine on board as apparently this is allowed on Holland America. I know I have to pay the corkage fee and as far as I am concerned that is just fine, at least I get to bring the wine I like. My husband is not a wine drinker, prefers Scotch. The list of Scotch's that you can purchase in advance does not have the brand he usually likes and we were thinking of either (a) trying to bring one in on checked baggage or (b) getting another scotch in room set up that would be okay but not exactly what he prefers. This will be our first Holland America cruise. Do they screen checked baggage and would this be a dumb move for us and we should just go to plan (b) and purchase a suitable alternative. I guess it all boils down to if checked baggage is screened. I know Norwegian is extremely strict on this but don't know about Holland America. We don't mind paying corkage or any other fees, but if I can take the wine on I like it would be nice if my husband coudl take the scotch on he likes. Would appreciate comments.

Having recently spent 5 weeks on the Statendam we reached the conclusion that HAL have contracted out their security and basically these guys don't give a "Dam". We had in our checked baggage a bottle of rum for DH (Hal does not carry his preferred brand on board), and then at various ports we had no problem, nor did other passengers either, carrying beer on board.

Really when you think about it, what are rules? Are they not made only to be broken?

Just a hot tip! They sometimes use a specific breed of canines who will alert on the presence of Scotch inside checked luggage

scotch.jpg

Wow! Specialization has run amok and searches are now breed-beverage specific?

I suppose could try to train my Labrador to seek out Canadian whiskey, but then I'd have to fight him for it.

Yes, Sail: There are indeed a lot of wonderful scotches out there and HAL does not carry them. They are mostly single-malt scotches which are way too smokey-tasting for me. I know, being a Scot by birth that I should hang my head in shame, but honestly I prefer the more common blended varieties, which are readily availble aboard HAL.

I could be wrong, and Heaven know it wouldn't be the first time, but I was under the impression (of course I simply heard it from someone) that it is some Homeland Security agency that screens the checked luggage and they don't give a rat's patooty if you are trying to smuggle booze - it's drugs/weapons they are looking for.

Valerie:)

Just a hot tip! They sometimes use a specific breed of canines who will alert on the presence of Scotch inside checked luggage

scotch.jpg

Now if only I could have that little sweetheart sniffing around my luggage for my smuggled bottle of scotch. I would just fix him with a steely glare, point my finger and say "och, away wi ye", and off he'd scamper (in terror, I might add).

Unfortunately, they use Beagles. Hey, I have a Beagle - maybe I could hire him out? Nah, that wouldn't work because I would have to keep waking him up from one of his many naps and then with my luck the Scottie would scamper back and urinate all over my suitcase. My booze would probably be okay but my clothes would certainly not pass muster. On the other hand, I would certainly stand out (and all alone) at the Captain's Welcome Aboard Reception.

Valerie:D

I'm a newbie at all this so don't quote me--but I called Holland America and was asking about the alcohol policy, wine, beer etc...and the lady I spoke to (who shall remain nameless) said to just pack it well in my luggage and if anyone asks, "What's in the bottle?" Just say "wine." She told me that in all the cruises she has taken she's never had the slightest problem.

After my cruise in a couple of weeks I'll let you know how effective that strategy is!:eek:

Unfortunately, they use Beagles. Hey, I have a Beagle - maybe I could hire him out? Valerie:D

The Beagles you see upon your return from a cruise belong to the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Val. They sniff out fruits, veggie's, etc. The stuff one is not supposed to bring back into the U.S. of A.

The Scotch terriers only care about Scotch whiskey;) and people that start singing "You take the high road, and I'll take the low road, and I'll be in Scotland afore ye." as they're coming of the ship:rolleyes:

I'm a newbie at all this so don't quote me--but I called Holland America and was asking about the alcohol policy, wine, beer etc...and the lady I spoke to (who shall remain nameless) said to just pack it well in my luggage and if anyone asks, "What's in the bottle?" Just say "wine." She told me that in all the cruises she has taken she's never had the slightest problem.

After my cruise in a couple of weeks I'll let you know how effective that strategy is!:eek:

Hi kattom and welcome to the board,

Yes, let her remain nameless. You will more than likely just fine. I can't remember ever hearing that anyone had a problem with their "wine" in the suitcase. How are things down in the desert? I hope that you weren't too affected by the recent fire in the Cabazon area.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Valerie:)

Valerie,

Now that I've got so many piles of clothes and stuff to take I'm not sure I'll have room for wine or other liquids anyway! It would be much easier if we could drive to the port! No matter what, I'm sure it will be a great cruise!

The weather here has been great. We only saw smoke where we were from the fire. We had been in that area last summer and it was extremely dry so not surprised that it went so quickly. Very sad for the people who died and all the others that lost property.

--Kathy

Hi,

I was thinking of filling my suitcase with beer and some small bottles of booze just to save a few bucks and to have my favorite beer on hand. Can you carry beer on board in a Twelve pack at embarkation? I know when I was in port on a Princess cruise we were allowed to bring beer on board with no problem. The booze they wanted to hold until we got home.

Maasdam 12/22/06

Hi,

I was thinking of filling my suitcase with beer and some small bottles of booze just to save a few bucks and to have my favorite beer on hand. Can you carry beer on board in a Twelve pack at embarkation? I know when I was in port on a Princess cruise we were allowed to bring beer on board with no problem. The booze they wanted to hold until we got home.

Maasdam 12/22/06

How about wine...can one just carry this on at embarkation ? or must it be secured in a regular bag and checked ? We had just figured to carry a case on board for the room.

Archived