Early flight out of Ft. Lauderdale

Fblack

Has anyone flown out of Ft. Lauderdale recently? Can I catch an 11:07AM flight back home?

It will be a heck of a lot easier out of FLL than Miami. You should be able to make it, but we always advise not to book a flight til noon. Good luck, you will be among the first off the ship I am sure. NMnita

That early morning flight, I feel, is a bit too early, especially since they have the added security now. While you may make it, if one thing doesn't go right, you will miss your flight. I did, once, an 11:25 a.m. flight, I just about made it, I'd never book that early again. I feel a 12 noon flight or later is good, but not an 11:07 a.m. flight, I'd be too stressed.

You really should not have a problem. My friends called me from FLL yesterday morning because they had time to spare until their flight at 10:50 (or something like that).

I think she told me they were at the airport by 9:20 or something:D !!! HAL advises against flights before noon only because there are always unforeseen circumstances (clearing Customs, etc.) that could hold you up, but generally speaking it should be no problem.

The sooner they can get you off that ship that final morning, the happier they are:) .

It can be done and most the time without any problem. Would I do it? Nope! There's a whole lot of stuff beyond your control that can slow you up and have you miss the flight. Mrs. K is not into "clutch your chest" mad dashes. That alone keeps me from even thinking of a flight before 12 noon. :)

Would traveling first class help? I assume American Airines has first class baggage check in.

we did curbside check in for AA--the baggage was not the problem. Depending on how many cruise ships are emptying out that day, FLL can have thousands of pax trying to catch flights. The lines outside just trying to get into the terminal are horrendous on days like that. And, that's even before you get to the security checkpoint.

We will never again fly to the port on the same day as the cruise due to the stress of worrying about lost luggage, missed connections, etc. For the same reason we will no longer book outgoing flights before noon. I do not want to waste the wonderful relaxed feeling I get from cruising by being anxiety ridden while trying to make an early flight, but that's just MHO....

You should not have a problem unless the ship is late. I have done this many times at FLL and have time to spare. Rolling your own luggage off also cuts the time and taking your own taxi gives you more control.

As a back-up, always know when the next flight out is, just in case.

Here is what I would do:

1. Make sure HAL knows you need off first, go express departure if you can, means you have carry off your luggage but you are first off.

2. Use internet on ship to get boarding pass and to check in...usually 24 hours in advance.

3. If you can go first class that is excellent as they (airline) treat you nicer. Keep the airline number handy and if it looks like you may be late, call the airline and grovel. If you book through a TA call them and they can help you.

4. The taxi from the port to the airport is around 10 minutes.

5. It is too bad you can't get a later flight but that happens.

Good luck

Griwalds

Here is what I would do:

1. Make sure HAL knows you need off first, go express departure if you can, means you have carry off your luggage but you are first off.

2. Use internet on ship to get boarding pass and to check in...usually 24 hours in advance.

3. If you can go first class that is excellent as they (airline) treat you nicer. Keep the airline number handy and if it looks like you may be late, call the airline and grovel. If you book through a TA call them and they can help you.

4. The taxi from the port to the airport is around 10 minutes.

5. It is too bad you can't get a later flight but that happens.

Good luck

Griwalds

Excellent Advice! The only possible glitch is the backup at security...this airport can be really, really bad about security delays. I have seen security help people to get to the front of the line, and I have seen them make everyone take their turn. It should be okay provided that there are not many ships in port at the same time. Make sure to use a taxi.

We just returned from FLL yesterday [Volendam]. We could easily have made a 10:30 flight, but we didn't want to chance anything before Noon, just in case. The airport was mobbed [on a Monday!] but we got through check-in and waited until the crowd ebbed to go through security. Security was checking people through in 2-hour time frames [e.g. flights between 11:00 and 1:00 only], so you couldn't go through any earlier than that. They were also pulling people out of the line who had the earlier flights to let them go through first.

BTW - There is a facility for checking luggage earlier than your airline will let you check it [this wasn't available a couple of years ago.] It's located at the "Business Center", costs $5/bag, they scan and seal it.

I would suggest, in addition to knowing which flights are available after your scheduled time to check which flights leave earlier - we have in the past been able to get on an earlier flight.

We just flew Fll to Newark Oct. 3oth at 11:35AM. We were off the ship at

8:40AM and at the gate at Contential at 9:20AM. You just have to hope that

nothing bad happens to delay disembarking, and in all our 65 cruises nothing

has.

Normally, it shouldn't be a problem. However, check to see how many other ships are arriving the same day and take into consideration whether it's holiday or vacation time in FL since the airport is packed with long lines for check-in, including curbside, and Security from about December 20th - January 2nd plus February pretty much through April. Also, make sure you book with an airline that has multiple flights during the day to your destination. If they offer only a few and there's a delay and you miss your flight, you'll wind up staying overnight for an available flight.

Fblack -- As is stated above, it depends on the number of ships in port. We arrive back in port on Jan. 14 and according to the cruise shiip calendar there will be a total of 10 ships in port that day. This will REALLY be a mess at security at the airport and all will need more time than usual. Luckily we will be driving back to our FL home but have friends with us that have requested a mid-afternoon flight.

Has anyone flown out of Ft. Lauderdale recently? Can I catch an 11:07AM flight back home?

Barring a major problem ... like the ship arriving in Fort Lauderdale late due to storms or other weather-related problems, I can't see why an 11:07 a.m. flight would be that much of a stretch. Fort Lauderdale Airport is a hop, skip and a jump from Port Everglades. Just make sure you let the front desk know that you need to be among the first off the ship at disembarkation.

I'll tell you a little secret, though ... and this hint was given to me by a member of the cruise director's staff on one of my first cruises ... those colored tags they give you to control when you disembark ... they're a load of crap. As soon as you hear the first colors being called, proceed to the gangway no matter what color your tags are. No one checks (nor cares) about them. They're just happy to get you the heck off the ship ... and will scan you right through without even looking at the color of your tags. Believe me, I've done this several times with no problem. If I want to be in the first group off, I am ... no matter what color my luggage tags are.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Fblack -- As is stated above, it depends on the number of ships in port. We arrive back in port on Jan. 14 and according to the cruise shiip calendar there will be a total of 10 ships in port that day. This will REALLY be a mess at security at the airport and all will need more time than usual. Luckily we will be driving back to our FL home but have friends with us that have requested a mid-afternoon flight.

And this is exactly why I never, ever book seven day cruises anymore. If I can avoid it, I never want to embark or disembark on a weekend. Too much disorganization. Too many people. My last cruise ... embarkation in New York on a Tuesday ... disembarkation in Fort Lauderdale on a Monday. Both times ... the Amsterdam was the only ship in port. Exactly the way I like it. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived