Choose my Grand Cayman adventure, win a prize!

melissa@cruisecritic

Choose my adventure in Grand Cayman (descriptions of tours below)!  

714 members have voted

1. 1. Choose my adventure in Grand Cayman (descriptions of tours below)!

• Cultural Express
    • Grand Cayman Helmet Diving
    • Grand Cayman Parasailing
    • Honey Suckle Beach Trail Ride
    • Sea Spi
    • Stingray City Swim & Snorkel

You only live once right?

You have to swim with the stingrays!

I did this with my kids a few years ago! It was one of those moments in my life that I will NEVER forget! To be able to become one with nature. To see the stingrays in their natural environment, is a gift that not too many people in this world get a chance to do!

REMEMBER TO TAKE AN UNDERWATER CAMERA!! The pictures you will get are priceless! Not only do you get awesome pictures of the stingrays, but the tropical fish, the reef, etc.! And you can share them with family and friends upon your return so that they too can feel as thought they were right there with you.

Help the world understand that they are peaceful creatures.

I am in a Travel/Tourism class in college (at 39 yrs. old) and we were talking about the experience I had with the stingrays. The younger students are so put off at the idea of taking this excursion due to the Steve Irwin incident. It is such a shame! I told they they put themselves in more dangerous situations everyday here at home with driving, etc.

You can help change some developing opinions and also help the tour company that runs this program by "getting out there"!

After all, the cruise industry is always trying to find ways to help the local economy of the ports they visit. What better way to show your support for the local people!

It is an adventure that you and your friend will treasure for years to come and one you can tell the grandkids about! Tehe.

Remember to wear lots of sunblock on your back and legs! You will be burnt if you don't, because you will have snorkeling gear on and a life vest and those areas are exposed excessively to the caribbean sun!!!!

*P.S. You should also swim with the dolphins if you get the chance!

(someday we may not be able to do either of these things. The growing concerns for oceanlife and reefs, new international laws being passed everyday, these types of adventures may not exist in a few years!)

:o

Unfortunately, the most unique RCCL shore excursion on GCI is no longer there. The people who run the Atlantis submarines in a number of venues had one of their regular subs, which submerge to 150 ft., but also a second craft, the Deep Diver, which took two guests and a pilot down to 1,000 feet. Not for everyone, and certainly not for anyone with claustrophobia or fear of being crushed by the pressure. But for the right person, it was, as far as I know, the only place in the world where you could take such a trip on a routine basis.

We've helmet dived in Bermuda, and if you aren't a scuba person, it is the closest to scuba that you are likely to get.

Melissa, I have been to GC twice and had the opportunity to g to Sting Ray City twice with "Capt. Marvin's" tours which I feel was absolutely the best of the best. But I have also had the chance to dive the North Wall as well. It was a thrill that can't be matched.

The colors and sea life you will see is something you won't soon forget. Do Sting Ray City next time, but go for the dive on this one. Although you will only go down 30 feet, I am sure you'll not regret it...

Brian.

I visited Stingray City last year, and loved it! I fed stingrays, held a couple of them and had them swim up my back. I even kissed one for good luck. I can't wait until I can return to Grand Cayman with my kids and do it again. This is a very cool excursion and one I suggest you don't miss! Oh, and make sure you take an underwater camera with you. You'll want lots of pictures of this very exciting day.

My vote is for the stingrays! We have done that excursion twice...once before the Steve Irwin's tragedy and once after. I was equally scared and nervous both times...but it was great!!! This last time we took our twin 14 year olds and they both voted that it was the best part of the whole cruise. Our XMas card this year will be a picture of all of us holding a very large stingray...memories don't get any better than this!

Have fun! :p

Stingray City is the way to go definitely- and don't worry about the stingrays- they are very gentle creatures gliding around you and looking for a little treat- my advice is to just shuffle your feet when moving about instead of actually picking them up and putting them down again. This is truly a wonderful experience. You are going to absolutely love the Freedom! It is magnificent

Robin from Baltimore

Freedom of the Seas Member Cruise 10/15/06-10/22/06

I vote for Stingray City. It was a wonderful experience! They will let you feed and hold a stingray. Wait for the guides to get the stingray and pass it on carefully to those that would like to hold it or touch it. I have a picture of my husband holding the stingray and I have never seen him smile so big. It really is different than anything offered at other ports of call. Wear beach shoes if you are worried about stepping on stingrays in the sandy bottom.

I am extremely afraid of heights...but it is my dream to go parasailing. On our upcoming cruise on 12/3 they have an excursion for this, but I don't have any support from my friends to parasail.

Please Melissa, try it for me and tell us how it was. I can live vicariously through your adventure!

Melissa, If I was going, I would choose the Stingray City. Seems the other choices you have are either for only a few minutes, or thats the only activity your doing. The culture is interesting, I would add that on as a afterthought. But the parasailing, I'm afraid of heights, but even if I wasn't, its only an 8 minute ride and you can do that anywhere. The helmet dive, sounds great too, but from my reading on different excursions, doesn't that only give you about an hour of time and then you go back to shore. With the stingrays, you can see the stingrays, learn more about the creatures, see the other animals.

Whatever you choose, have a blast.

Dorothy

We've done StingRay City twice - the first time was years ago and we were the only ones there - two years ago we went again and it is now very very popular and crowded but still a blast. If you've never done it before it would be a lot of fun. Be sure to have the guide help you to feed one of the Stingrays but keep your fingers and thumb tucked into your fist -- so you don't add them to the meal!! LOL. Have a great time no matter what you select!

Lisa

Melissa,

It is wonderful to see an entire island while floating above. Then there's still enough time to take a tour of the island or enjoy 7 mile beach. No matter what excursion you take, you will love Grand Cayman. Have a wonderful cruise and "Get Out There" and experience something you have never done before.

Age is a big factor in what excursion to choose and I have no way of knowing how old Melissa is. I know which one I would like to do and so I have voted for the "Helmet" dive. Stingray is popular but is not fresh enough to include in a review by our esteemed Melissa.We only have to read these posts to see that and to know all about it!! Horseriding, even on a beach, can be done anywhere. Similarly with Parasailing which you can do on almost any beach. Culture is for when you are too old for active pursuits. So the "Helmet" dive it is.

(I shall be 80 years old on Christmas Day this year and, no, I wasn't born in a stable!)

ps. I shall be on a Regent cruise in December calling at Cozumel on 13th and I look forward to reading your blog on experiences there.

I vote for Stingray City. My husband and I did this last April and throughly enjoyed ourselves. It was a unique experience to feed and hold the stingrays and to have them swimming around you. It was also the first time that I had gone snorkeling. I loved it! I wondered why I waited till I was 59 to try it!:cool: My only disappointment was none of the underwater pictures turned out.

Whatever you do, all new experiences are great. So enjoy

We did string ray city with our daughter when she was about 14. It was the thing she remembers most from all of our cruises together. You go out to the reef and then snorkel amongst some of the most gentle creatures on God's earth.It is truly amazing to feed these wonderful creatures. The other trips you can go anywhere, or on any island. Go for it!!!!!!!!!:D

Sting ray tour is so much fun. Our fourth trip to Cayman in Jan. and doing this again. I can't believe how soft these creatures are. My mother in law in her 60's enjoys this the best out of any excursion she has done as well. She said to me the other day we will be doing Stingrays city again I hope. :) Best of all these stingrays all live in the wild.

Archived