Choose my Grand Cayman adventure, win a prize!

melissa@cruisecritic

Choose my adventure in Grand Cayman (descriptions of tours below)!  

714 members have voted

1. 1. Choose my adventure in Grand Cayman (descriptions of tours below)!

• Cultural Express
    • Grand Cayman Helmet Diving
    • Grand Cayman Parasailing
    • Honey Suckle Beach Trail Ride
    • Sea Spi
    • Stingray City Swim & Snorkel

Do the Sea SPI as it will give you 2 hours to see under the sea, and the helmet dive only does 1 hour. I've seen many fish, coral, and even sea turtles in the water snorkeling here. Far more intriguing than standing in waist deep water while the stingrays swarm around to be fed.

We went to Stingray City in January. It was one of the most memorable parts of our cruise. Not only did we get to feed the Stingrays (which are so used to people), we swam with nurse sharks and moray eels. All these creatures wanted was the squid we had. We would definitely do this excursion again!

Guest KimberlyB

Even though my vote doesn't officially count, I just have to chime in! :D

My personal preference would be the Cultural Express.

I'm not much of a thrill-seeker nor am I into water sports. (I know, I know...yawn...) I am a nature and history nut, and would LOVE to vicariously experience the Cultural Express tour. The botanical gardens replete with a mahogany forest, cactus thickets, meadows, orchids, bromeliads, ferns...sounds like paradise to me. Bodden Town sounds wild...first settlement on the island, rich in history, roadside pirate cemetaries and the pirate cave. ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Have FUN with whatever excursion wins! We want pictures!

Melissa- I hope you really have a terrific cruise and my vote goes for the STINGRAYS because that is an experience you may not get again. The guides know all of the rays personally because they have been around them since the rays were babies. Our guide brought a pregnant mama ray and let me pet the "baby" area.The mama liked it. WOW ! was that neat ! Just keep shuffling your feet and it is a good idea to have water shoes.Also the snorkeling was super. I saw a 3 foot Barracuda sleeping on the sea floor. I would love to do this again ~~~

We went on the Rhapsody in September and the main focus of the whole cruise was to do Stingray City and we were not disappointed! It was the first time I actually booked an excursion throught the ship as we were tendering and Cayman can be pretty unpredictable as far as weather. But the weather was great, we were on the first tender and the excursion was excellent! The stingrays are like big ole puppy dogs, its amazing! We have had the good fortune to do some very good snorkling and scuba all through the Caribbean, and found the snorkling to be good but it got a little crowded...but the stingray part of it was not to be beat.

Tip: They will probably have an early and a later excursion...the early one will seem ungodly early....take THAT one and beat the crowds, and it will give you time to hit the beach in the afternoon or shop.

I've been giving this answer for many years. The Stingray City trip is one-of-a-kind. There are no real issues with the rays, they are very docile and get fed almost every day by tourists at the same time. Steve Irwin was reef diving with natural state rays. However, I do NOT recommend doing a ship excursion for this one. The ship's tours at Stingray City are massive cattle calls that often get cancelled if the ships need more tenders. There is a fantastic local operator who does it right with 8-12 person trips which also include a snorkel site. If anyone really needs the name and contact info, they can contact me and I'll give the specifics. Gotta play by the board rules, you know. :) randy@randypatrick.com

My sister and I just got back from the Freedom (10/29 sailing). It was the absolute best cruise we have ever taken. The ship is unbelievable! You will have a ball for sure.

The Stinray City tour is wonderful! A great experience.

Have a great trip and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

Had to vote for Stingray City -- and this is coming from a 59-yr-old woman who is terrified of water more than ankle deep. Swam with the stingrays 2 years ago and that experience has to be among the greatest adventures of my life.

There is just something about their eyes and the velvety touch of their bodies that makes you feel you are actually swimming with puppies, going against every horror story you have ever heard about them. Their graceful movements makes them appear to be pieces of velvet floating through the seas.

Dianne

If you have never done the swim & snorkel with the stingrays excursion, it is a must! There is nothing like being out in the middle of the ocean, but standing on a sandbar--it is a very strange, exciting thing. Whether or not you choose to interact with the stingrays is your choice; I preferrred to stand there and marvel at the calm turquiose water while standing on the sandbar. I can still picture it as if it were yesterday. It is something that I will never forget.

:cool: Stingray city is by far the best! There's nothing like touching and feeding the rays. I held one in my arms - what an wonderful experience. Do it, do it, do it...please!

Have a great time, no matter what you choose. Beautiful people, beautiful island!

Jan

quote=Melissa@cruisecritic]I need your help! I'm onboard Freedom of the Seas next week (check the Royal Caribbean forum daily for my live "blogs" from the ship) and Grand Cayman is on my itinerary. Problem is I've been there (twice) and I can't decide which excursion to book for me and my friend I'm traveling with. I have already done the Hell/turtle farm/rum cake factory circuit so I'm choosing between cultural and active tours.

Here's where you come in. Vote for the excursion YOU think we should book. At the end of the week (5 p.m. EST this Friday, November 17), the activity that's gotten the most votes will be the one … and I'll write about it in my "blog." The best part? I’ll select one person at random from everyone who votes, and send them a gift I'll pick up in Grand Cayman!

Here are quick descriptions of the tours you can vote for:

Cultural Express, 3-hour sightseeing tour

Royal Caribbean: "Enjoy the cultural sights and sounds of two of Cayman’s Top Heritage Attractions in one customized excursion."

Me: I'll get to learn the history of the islands, see Bodden Town (the original capital) and visit the Botanical Gardens.

Grand Cayman Helmet Diving, 1-hour adventure tour

Royal Caribbean: "The Sea Trek Helmet Diving experience is a zero gravity stroll undersea wearing the specially designed Sea Trek underwater helmet."

Me: I'll basically get to SCUBA without the gear; you "walk" along an undersea pathway up to 30 ft. below the surface, and can breathe with your helmet on.

Grand Cayman Parasailing, 1-hour adventure tour

Royal Caribbean: "Soar 400+ feet above the crystal blue Cayman waters and Seven Mile Beach on an exhilarating ride controlled by your certified crew!"

Me: I'll only be in the air for 6 - 8 minutes … but it's something I've never done and sure sounds cool! There's an option afterward to chill at Royal Palms Beach.

Honey Suckle Beach Trail Ride, 2-hour adventure tour

Royal Caribbean: "Upon arrival, guests are given instructions and are taken to a secluded, quiet beach for your wonderful horseback riding adventure."

Me: I'd get to ride on land and in the water with a beautiful backdrop (horseback riding would be a first for me).

Sea Spi, 2-hour water activity/adventure tour

Royal Caribbean: "Embrace the SEA SPI experience through the bubble-free viewing glass of your revolutionary electric personal watercraft."

Me: Basically I'll be lying down on a boat-like contraption with a bubble window to look through at the coral and sea life below the surface.

Stingray City Swim & Snorkel, 3-hour water activity

Royal Caribbean: "Experience a once-in-a-lifetime adventure snorkeling with stingrays!"

Me: This is a Grand Cayman staple; I'd be able to touch and feed the stingrays according to the Web site.

PS: If you have done any of the above, share some tips with me, I'd love to hear them!

Oh, what I would give to be able to physically ride a horse again. Unfortunately when I take my very 1st cruise on Ecstasy Dec.11, 2006, I will be doing low physical activity things, probably beach in Progresso and Shopping in Cozumel.

I have Fibromyalgia and other health problems and will not be able to do the horseback ride excursion. Although I want to really bad.

While you are physically able, please please please take a horseback ride. Do not let that be one of those things that you regret you never did in life. To be one with a horse is the most awesome sort of freedom you can have.

God Bless you on your cruise and have fun what ever you do.

Just returned from a cruise last week that visited Grand Cayman. We choose to do the stingray and snorkel and we are so glad that we did. I can honestly say it was the best excursion ever. It was so relaxing and so enjoyable to be in the water with those amazing creatures. The guides were awesome and I never once was uncomfortable or afraid of the stingrays. Try it Melissa I think you will be pleased.

We have been to Grand Cayman a few times & our favorite thing to do by far is a trip out to Stingray City. On our trip last May we were also fortunate to spend time nearby by the reef where one of the boat crew got both a Moray Eel and a nurse shark to come out. We kept our distance from the eel but almost everyone petted the shark as he swam around us. No contest - Stingray City!!!

Stingray City - absolutely. The snorkeling around Coral Garden is terrific, and stingrays are one of the earth's coolest animals. When you feed them, keep your thumbs tucked in; the guides tell you this, and take it from me (I've done this excursion 4 times) you want to listen to their advice. The rays' mouths are raspy and if they suck in your thumb, it'll get your attention. They're silky smooth on the outside, though, and it's an experience not to be missed. You can ride a horse or parasail anywhere - go see the southern stingrays and their colorful aquatic neighbors in Cayman. Now THAT'S something completely different!

Have a great time - cheers,

Kirsten

My vote is for this one. My reason, because I have never done it and I want to know how it is by someone from CC. ;)

Grand Cayman Helmet Diving, 1-hour adventure tour

Royal Caribbean: "The Sea Trek Helmet Diving experience is a zero gravity stroll undersea wearing the specially designed Sea Trek underwater helmet."

Me: I'll basically get to SCUBA without the gear; you "walk" along an undersea pathway up to 30 ft. below the surface, and can breathe with your helmet on.

Archived