St Maarten or St Thomas?

rinse82

Hey gang,

Me and my GF are sailing on the CB(Eastern Carib.) in Feb and have decided that we'll only be getting off the ship for one of these two ports(St Thomas, St Maarten).

So which is the overall better port for shopping, beaches, sightseeing?

Pricing has always been much better in St. Martin, so that would get my vote. There are tons of shops in St. Thomas also, but we go for the place with the best prices on things.

Lots to do in both ports, but we prefer St. Martin. Especially since if any other stops are made before St. Thomas, you have to go through the immigration check early in the morning before you are allowed to leave the ship in St. Thomas. ARGH! Still will never get used to those early mornings standing in line.

Both have great beaches and lots to see. In St. Martin, if you get on the water taxi, it will take you over to a very close beach with minimal effort.

Wow that would really be a hard decision for me. We were just at both islands in August, our 3rd trip, and someone would have had to tie me fast to the ship to stay on board. The beaches on both these islands are terrific. St. Thomas is a beautiful island with a lot to do. St Marrten has both the French and Dutch side. I would not be able to choose between the two. May I ask why you don't want to get off the ship at both places?

Was just there last week, hands down if I had to pick one it would be St. Thomas. We weren't as impresses with St. Maarten. I would also recommend the Godfrey tour (you can find info on this on the Port Of Call boards). For $25/person we got shopping, tour (a great tour by the way) and time at a beach of our choice as well as transportation back to the ship. What a deal. We didn't notice a huge difference in the shopping between ports other than alcohol was just slightly more expensive (by a $1) in St. Thomas.

Of the two, I'd definitely pick St. Maarten. I've found the pricing is better and there are many, many different and interesting things to do, such as the Americas Cup races which you would love. If you get off in St. Thomas, you're essentially in the U.S.; if you get off in St. Maarten, you're in a foreign country with new experiences.

As an FYI, if you do decide to get off in St. Thomas, make sure you go over to St. John's. It's gorgeous and the snorkling is fabulous.

IMO, the better port for beaches is by far St. Thomas A) you can go to Trunk Bay in St. John which I feel is paradise B) many more choices in St. Thomas for nicer beaches. As far as shopping, depending on what you are purchasing, the prices are higher in St. Thomas but quality is far superior too, so you can what you pay for. Liquor and cigarettes are much cheaper in St. Maarten.

DH and I went to both ports in March 07. We were on the CB also. This was our 3rd visit to each. Both have good and bad but, IMHO St. Maarten is gorgeous! Both are great for shopping, beaches, etc. However, both of us felt St. Maarten wasn't nearly as rushed or crowded. (Note: on both islands, we were there with at least 4 other ships). We also like the ambience and cleanliness.

As stated, both good and bad in both. You should probably get off in both ports. St. Thomas had a smallish mall right at the port. Some decent stores as well as a small grocery store to pick up soda, bottled water, etc. A little expensive but handy.

St. Maarten has the water taxi as mentioned above. At least a short walk in both places won't take much time and at least give you a flavor of them both.

Enjoy!

I'd say it is worth getting off in both ports.

St. Maarten is better for shopping. St. Thomas has better beaches...especially on St. John.

Is there a particular reason why you don't want to get off the ship in one port? If I skipped anything, I would skip Princess Cays. JMHO.

I was just on the Crown in both ports. The shopping was the cheapest in all the islands we were on in St. Maarten. And there were beaches right at the shopping area.

However, in St. Thomas, definitely try and do an excursion to a beach at ST. Johns - the snorkeling is magnificent in Trunk Bay.

Wow! I wouldn't miss either one if someone paid me!! They are both incredibly beautiful!

If my life depended on it, then I would choose St. Maartan. It is so unique with the Dutch side and the French side. The beach on the French side is compared to the French Riviera. Shoppng is great both places, but seems less rushed in St. Maartan.

What are the other choices to skip? Maybe you could skip another port? These are both very lovely, interesting and memorable places!!!

Like many others...I wouldn't miss either of one but if I HAD to pick...

St Maarten's gets my "shopping-and-overall-better-port" vote. I preferred it over St Thomas. When you are done shopping...hang out @ the beach right there! No extra cost involved (other than the shopping!!) Great views of your ship right from the beach.

St Thomas...worth getting off just to stroll around. Taking the tram for that beautiful bay view can be done on your own and @ your leisure.

This kind of helps me out. We are renting a jeep in St. Martin...and planning on hopping over to St. John while in St. Thomas. My wife wants to shop..and I was worried we would have to rush back from St. John to shop in St. Thomas...but it seems that there is some good shopping in St. Martin. She wants to get some bling bling. Maybe I should forget my wallet on the ship. ;)

I much prefer St. Maarten, have been to both 4 or 5 times, love renting a car in St. M and going to off the beaten track beaches to snorkle and then to the markets.

St. Thomas always seems more rushed cause you have to go thru immigration before the ship is cleared and it can waste a lot of time!!

I think shopping depends on what you are looking for. Booze, it's insanely cheap. Jewelry and gems can be had for a reduced price.

Now, I had been told that electronics would be priced better. WOW. I was shocked. I wanted to by an IPOD Nano and I could not find anyone that would sell one to me for a better price than I could buy it directly from Apple.

Needless to say I bought through Apple once I returned home

love them both...but I enjoy St Thomas - I could actually see myself living in St Thomas -

You can get to St John, Tortola, or even Jost Van Dyke from St Thomas - It would take some time, but I spoke with a couple people and they said they could get us to either of those two islands in about 30 - 40 mins

After 4 cruises, I finally found a port I would return to for a land vacation....St. John is simply the most beautiful place I have ever seen. Trunk Bay is THE beach to visit. I would definitely go to St. Thomas and head straight over to Trunk Bay....

Remember, the CB now docks at Crown Bay, not Charlotte Amalie in St Thomas. Recent cruisers posted here that the shops at the pier are not open yet. Since I'm going in February, hoping the shops will be open by then. However, I'll certainly miss the view from the pier in Charlotte Amalie!

Stopping at Crown Bay.... another reason why St T is away down the list of my favorite Caribbean cruise ship stops

Archived