New Zealand, What are the best shore trips?

bearhall

You're better off going to the port of calls and looking up Australia/New Zealand. Our cruise was almost 3 years ago and I'm sure the tours have changed since then. What a wonderful time you're going to have.

I don’t remember what port we took it in - one on the southern island for sure, but we went jet boating and loved it. It also had a kiwi farm tour - have you ever eaten a golden kiwi, and something else. Everything was great but the jet boating was amazing! Definitely a must-do in New Zealand.

In Dunedin, we went on the train ride to Taieri Gorge, and enjoyed it.

In Hobart, we went out to one of the wildlife parks, and saw a real Tasmanian Devil!

Most of the other ports, we either took a City Highlights Tour, or just wandered about.

Great cruise - seriously considering repeating it in 2008, on Sun Princess. The Australians and New Zealanders are very friendly people.

Highly recommend taking both a pre and post cruise hotel while "down under".

The white water rafting in Christ Church is amazing. Better then Colorado....Class 4 white water...It was the greatest tour ever!!!!!!

Dunedin we did the train and that was enjoyable.

Auckland is a great city,,Buy a bus pass and get on and off, lots to see.

I second the other posters comments about the train in Dunedin. Two tours we enjoyed thoroughly were the Thermal Reserve in Tauranga (Rotorua) and the Winery tour in Melbourne (Yarra Valley) with the Healsville Sanctuary. We did Christchurch on our and went up to the top of the mountain overlooking the harbor (cable car) and had great views. We spend several days in Auckland and I would say you must go up the tower and take a harbor cruise or ferry to Devonport. Also highly recommend harbor cruise in Sydney. You can see my pictures at the link below. Have a great cruise!

Another for the train in Dunedin. We did it in April (their fall) and the colors were amazing...I suspect spring might be beautiful with wildflowers? One note, though...the train seats are VERY close together, no leg room at all. I am tall (5'11") and had a bit of a tough time.

Rotorua and the thermal reserve are also good...not Yellowstone, but still very interesting, especially if you've not seen that sort of thing before.

In Auckland, if you are a real walker, you can walk the coast to coast route, about 10 miles (I think) from the Pacific Ocean to the Tasman Sea, and then take the bus back. That was a lot of fun, to be able to say we walked about New Zealand!

The country is beautiful, the people are wonderfully hospitable, you will have a great time!

If theres a trip to Orakei Korako which is near Rotorua and also a very different thermal area its worth doing

If you can take a trip to Mount Cook and Lake Tekapo that is a highlight

You can though really only see New Zealand via a land tour

There are many Coach tours which will take in both islands and you should be able to book them separately pre or post cruise

we have spent a total of 16 weeks touring New Zealand so can answer most questions

Archived