American Currency

TheNewMrsGriffin

Hello!

I have what is probably a very stupid question, but my husband and I figured we need to ask, since neither of us is sure of the answer.

We will be on a back to back cruise on the Crown Princess Dec 2 through the 16th. These are the islands we will be visiting during our cruise:

Puerto Rico

Barbados

St. Lucia

Antigua

St. Martin

Anguilla

St. Thomas

St. John

St. Kitts

Grenada

Bonaire

Aruba

Could you please tell me (us) which of these islands (if any) will accept American dollars for taxi rides, ferry rides, drinks at a beach bar, snorkel gear rental on the beach, etc...basically, things we would not use our credit card for. Will we be able to use American dollars at any of them, or will we need to exchange our money for all of the islands? If we need to exchange our currency, where and how do we do that?

Thanks so much!

Shannon

Hi There,

Sad to say theat while some islands have there own money all will accept US dollars however you will get your change in local, also very good chance that you will land up over paying not buy much but locals know that you can not convert exchange rates in your head.

Nice trip did this a few years ago, you will have a great cruise.

yours Shogun

I second Sea Breeze's suggestion. We did that on our last cruise and it was a real life saver to not have to change a bunch of money or worry about change. And what you don't spend there, you can always spend here - not the case with other foreign currancy.

Charlie

Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory and the currency is U.S. dollars, so absolutely no problem there. For the other countries, I've always used credit cards and brought some $1 and $5 bills for incidentals and tips. The $U.S. is international currency no matter whether you're in the Caribbean or off on a river in Russia.

Right now the currency most used internationally is the USD. I expect that will slowly change to the Euro over the next decade as the ECM economy overtakes the US economy. But for now USD are accepted as readily as local currency in most countries.

The $1 - $5 denomination notes are best to take. Round up the charges and call it the tip otherwise you get to come home with pocketfuls of useless scrap metal, (unless you or someone you know is a coin collector).

Tom:)

Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory and the currency is U.S. dollars, so absolutely no problem there.

So is St.Thomas and St. John ( USVI ) and even the British Virgin Is., Turks and Caicos use the $US as their currency and I believe Belize also.

Everyone takes dollars. Most interesting place was Aruba. The buses not only take US$ (as I recall it was $1.25/trip) but give change! First place we have ever had a bus that was not exact change only.

We used American money and the only foreign money we received back was incoin change. They even gave us American dollars back for change.

But we did take a lot of fives, tens and singles so we got minimal change back (and gave them to the grandkids, who collect them).

All Princess cruises I have been on have a glass globe near the pursers desk. Ask its location if you don't see it. If you have any foreign currency drop it in there. Princess uses it to buy school supplies in the country of the currency.:mad:

All Princess cruises I have been on have a glass globe near the pursers desk. Ask its location if you don't see it. If you have any foreign currency drop it in there. Princess uses it to buy school supplies in the country of the currency.

Wow...That's really cool! I'll be sure to do that!

Thank you all for your suggestions...it wouldn't have occurred to me to take mainly $1's and $5's...I appreciate the help!

Shannon

Archived