Oceania Shore Excursions

2manyplaces

We are thinking of taking an Oceania Mediterranean cruise but for many reasons I do not want to have to book my own shore excursions. (I know that many people do this, I understand all the reasoning). However, we definitely prefer to use the ship's excursions and have done so on Regent, where we found them reasonably priced and always find one we like in each port. However, I have not heard good things about O's shore excursions--very expensive, not well coordinated, poorly planned. Opinions from those of you who have used Oceania's excursions, please?

I used Oceania's shore excursions on my Athens to Rome cruise in May of this year. Since I had never been to Greece or Italy I chose to go with the ship's excursions. I chose one every day we were in port except for Malta. I found the tour guides on my excursions to be very informative, professional and well-versed in the areas they were guiding us through. Maybe I was just lucky but I thoroughly enjoyed every one of them and learned quite a bit.

We used Oceania's Shore Excursions when we did a Western Med cruise in the fall of 2004. The only complaint we had on the excursions was the Level of Difficulty rating. They were all rated as Moderate. Most were Moderate, but a few should have been rated as Strenuous.

All of the guides were good. The buses were comfortable. As I organize my pictures, I look at the tour books I pick up on the trip. In each instance, the ship sponsore shore excursions included the "must sees" in each place.

Our experience using O's excursions was quite good with a few exceptions. We were on back-to-back cruises Athens to Rome, Rome to Barcelona. Most were excellent to very good and one was so bad that we all together decided not to tip the guide and to report this to O. It was in Malta. They were aware of the problem and were looking for a new contractor. All in all good experiences as mentioned above,and pretty much worth not having the hassle of planning your own.

O does NOT run these tours and uses a sub-contractor in each port which does not give them full control ofer the quality.

We will be on two cruises in May '07 and plan to use their tours in any ports which are new to us.

Good luck!;)

We're just back yesterday from the Insignia Med cruise Venice to Lisbon. My wife and I were among the younger passengers on the cruise )52 and 59 respectively). Never having been to these ports before we signed up for the Discovery package. We found the tours to be uneven. It really depended on the interests of the local guide you got for each tour. Some were very good while others were tedious and boring. Of course that is filtered through the lens of my interests. Most of our guides seemed to focus on long winded explanations of every patron saint and church detail in each port. We were more interested in seeing as many sites as possible and having some free time for shopping, etc.

Still, we probably, on balance, would book the ship's excursions again since we didn't feel comfortable doing this on our own given the language barriers.

One other problem we ran into was elderly passengers in walkers and wheelchairs signing up for "strenuous" labeled tours and then complaining and complaining and holding up everyone else. I had my 83 year old mother with us and after one tour we all decided that it was too strenuous for her (and she's in pretty good health) so she remained on the ship and still had a good time.

Remember, this is just our opinion and others may differ.

We signed up for two Oceania-based tours on our recent Med cruise. One was excellent- good guide, about 15 or so people so not crowded. However, at more popular sites the Oceania tours (several at once) were in large crowds, basically in large bus loads. We, a group of 11, could move faster and see more.

The other ship's excursion we chose was cancelled for lack of interest and we were able to find the exact same itinerary at the port, for less than half the price of the ship-based experience. There are good reasons for each approach and they may vary due to the location/port.

We did a Med. cruise with Oceania last summer (we're returning this year with Celebrity) and found the cruise excursion dept. to be the one glaring weakness in an otherwise great cruise. The personnel at the excursion desk couldn't even answer basic questions about many of the tours they offered let alone give any general info. re: the ports we were visiting. We found the prices for many of the tours to be much more than what you could contract otherwise and some of the tour itineraries just didn't meet our objectives (we went on our own via ferry from Venice to Burano and spent a beautiful day...the ship's tour covered a short visit to Murano and Burano with little time spent at either venue). We did the trip out to Capri/Annacapri via hydrofoil for a fraction of the cost of the ship's tour and weren't bound by the itinerary of the guide in a large group. All the ticket sellers speak English and with my DW's research on the internet, we actually knew the boat schedules for transfers better than anyone from our ship! Some of the basic tours for first-time visitors are probably a good thing for those disinclined to venture out on their own, but you are never assured how large the tour group will be and whether your particular interests in that port will be addressed. It's been pointed out many times on this board that as wonderful a cruise experience as Oceania offers, they really need to upgrade their excursion dept. Have a great cruise!

• 1 month later...

Ok, so I know you have heard this before, but here's a dissenting view. We have done Oceania and I thought there tours were exhorbitent! The prices were just absurd and with so little planning and reading you could do infinitely better yourself. An example - we caught a tram in Hiroshima to Miyajima Island - cost us about $10 return each, had great fun with some kids on the tram. Got to Miyajima and there's a genuine Noh drama and Shinto wedding taking place at one of Japan's greatest shrines. I wanted to stay quietly in the background and watch - it was one of my best ever travel experiences. Half way through the Oceania mob arrived. Some were SO insensitive, one woman even barging into the wedding ceremony to have her photo taken, swamped everything with their cameras and then got rushed off to the next site. We stayed throughout, and left when it suited us and saw so very much more. In a word, or two words, flexibilty and independence, I would choose that every time, even if it weren't for the other fact that it's a twentieth of the cost. But, each to their own.

I found the excursions on O. to be in line w/ other lines I've sailed in the Med. One has to keep in mind that the price to run the tour is based on local currency (for the most part the Euro). The fuel costs are a lot more expensive than what we're used to seeing in the US. Admission tickets are not usually cheap. When converting the Euro price to USD, it gets more pricey. As for O's excursions, IMO, the content was usually excellent. It was the guide's knowledge/personality that can make or break the experience.

When it comes to the choice of using an organized ship's tour or going it on your own, that decision can only be made according to your comfort level. One can spend months & months doing research on your own before your departure. If you have the luxury of time, this is helpful in choosing which tour to purchase or planning an itinerary for a private hire. Those who are very adventurous may feel quite comfortable striking out on their own w/ a guide book & a train/bus schedule. It's certainly cost effective; but there are so many variables to consider. If you wanted to take a chance on finding a driver "at the pier", language skills & reliable historical info may be questionable. There is a lot to be said for pre-booking a guide/tour through a service. Usually you can create your own itinerary; & leave the logistics to them. If you are a single or just one couple, this is usually a much more expensive way to tour. Almost always more expensive than the ship's excursions. On a few occasions, I hired a private guide; & then during the cruise made friends w/ a few others that I was comfortable spending a full day with & asked them to join me. Those times were probably the most enjoyable memories I have. It's hard to put a price on being dropped off & picked up at the "front door" in a private, air conditioned vehicle w/ a knowledgeable & congenial driver/guide in control of everything. They can get advance admission tickets that saves money & time standing in lines. But for the rest of us who don't want to spend days on the computer doing resarch or gamble on a (possibly "fly by night") hastily arranged taxi driver, taking the ship's excursions is a realiable, fairly priced & safe option. O's are no better or worse than any other line's.

One important thing to consider (especially in foreign ports where the distance between the pier & the major sites can be great) is the importance of scheduling your return to the ship in AMPLE time to allow for traffic delays, etc. If you're on your own & arrive late, too bad. If you're on the ship's tour, they're gonna hold the ship for you. I cannot imagine the nightmare of having to transport myself to the next port of call to meet up w/ the ship.

• 5 months later...

Some towns you must go with the ship's bus or else you'll never see what's important and it is well worth the price; other times, you can walk into the "city" or take public transportation...do a little homework...at every port there is someone to give you "free" information...like a walking map

.......... My wife and I were among the younger passengers on the cruise )52 and 59 respectively). ......

I hope there is a small amount of humor in that comment!

My wife and I will be in our early to mid 40s when we go on Oceania next year.

If you have the luxury of time, this is helpful in choosing which tour to purchase or planning an itinerary for a private hire. ... It's hard to put a price on being dropped off & picked up at the "front door" in a private, air conditioned vehicle w/ a knowledgeable & congenial driver/guide in control of everything. ...

One important thing to consider (especially in foreign ports where the distance between the pier & the major sites can be great) is the importance of scheduling your return to the ship in AMPLE time to allow for traffic delays, etc.

Each to their own of course, but my two penneth's worth:

Luxury of time: how much time does it take to have a travel guide next to your bed at night for that ten minutes before you drop off?

Hard to put a price on ... yep, I would find it hard to put a price on that because it sounds horrible. I like to experience the places i visit, and if that means hot little taxis with no aircon, great. That's part of the experience.

Missing the ship: I get so tired of this one, well used by ships to ensure that people feel frightened. Planning... emergencies are possible, but that's what travel insurance is for (although i must pray I never have to use it, but the vague possiblity of it happening won't stop me).

We have used only "O" tours on 3 continents, and enjoyed them all and will use them again on other trips. They are expensive, but I don't want the bother of having to find my own guide half way across the world.

Everyone has to find their own level of comfort -- if one is afraid of missing the ship, then they should always take the ship's tours. We have taken over 30 cruises and used to take the ship's tours. After some really boring, expensive and long tours because we had to cover everything that was promised in the tour's description, we switched. I love doing the legwork and finding private guides and we enjoy having a small group of congenial people sharing our private tour. We also like to be able to change the itinerary when we get tired. Can't do this on a ship's tour.

To shemp2000,

Yes you will probably be the youngest cruisers on your Oceania cruise unless your cruise is to the Caribbean. Oceania cruisers are really very well traveled and very very nice -- you will still have a good time with some of us "older" cruisers.

Sheila

I hope there is a small amount of humor in that comment!

My wife and I will be in our early to mid 40s when we go on Oceania next year.

My wife and I are both 30, and completed our first Oceania cruise in April. Although our younger age seemed to surprise some passengers, almost all were extremely nice, and interested to speak with us. We chose O based on the great ports, and the glowing reviews of its cuisine. I must say, I was not disappointed at all. Food was fantastic, and the ship was wonderful.

In regards to the ship excursions, I found them to be better than the reviews they have received on board. It appears if you have been to the destination many times before, and want the least expensive price, doing it on your own may be the best. But as it was our first time in many of the European ports, we chose the ship excursions. In Florence, we hit some very bad traffic, and we arrived 45 minutes after the scheduled ship departure time. The captain was not happy with our driver and guide, but they waited for us. Just for that piece of mind, I will probably go with ship excursions in the future.

My wife and I are both in our late 50's and were concerned about our age vs. the others on the ship. We are used to the Windstar series which tends to be a very mixed age group. Any advise?

Also my wife is very concerned about the "dress code" on Oceania vs what we have seen on Windstar. Her concern is that, on one thread, they mentioned about people, expecially women, being very dressed up. Can past cruisers tell us of their experience?

Thanks in advance.

My wife and I are both in our late 50's and were concerned about our age vs. the others on the ship. We are used to the Windstar series which tends to be a very mixed age group. Any advise?

Also my wife is very concerned about the "dress code" on Oceania vs what we have seen on Windstar. Her concern is that, on one thread, they mentioned about people, expecially women, being very dressed up. Can past cruisers tell us of their experience?

Thanks in advance.

You are the right age group. we had people on our cruises from early 40's to mid 80's

IMHO...The "O" regulars seem to dress nicely for dinner not overdress..the "new to Oceania" people tend to dress up more...but they catch on ;)

I wear nice skirt/slacks with a nice top and DH wears a collared shirt and will wear his blazer some nights ...just his preference.

enjoy your cruise

We are thinking of taking an Oceania Mediterranean cruise but for many reasons I do not want to have to book my own shore excursions. (I know that many people do this, I understand all the reasoning). However, we definitely prefer to use the ship's excursions and have done so on Regent, where we found them reasonably priced and always find one we like in each port. However, I have not heard good things about O's shore excursions--very expensive, not well coordinated, poorly planned. Opinions from those of you who have used Oceania's excursions, please?

I just returned from the Nautica's Rome-Istanbul cruise and we took a ship tour nearly every day (Discover package). I can only think of one tour guide who did not really meet my expecations--but all the rest were ranging from very good to excellent. I absolutely loved the trip and I plan on booking more excursions through Oceania...it's just much more convenient. They handle everything for you and I believe it is all very well organized. No worries about finding taxis or being back to the ship before it took off (among other things!!)

Happy cruising...I highly recommend Oceania--I had the trip of a lifetime.

I think many people think that we do our own excursions to save money -- on the contrary, our excursions end up costing the same as the ship's excursions, but we see more and have a small group. But, as I stated before, everyone has their own comfort zone -- if you are going to fear missing the ship, you won't enjoy your private excursion.

Have a great cruise!!

Sheila

Thanks in advance.

We have sailed on Windstar and Oceania. Although Oceania is more elegant, the dress was country club casual. My husband only wore a

jacket with open shirt in the specialty restaurants, but it wasn't necessary. Women were dressed nicely (alot of Chico's " travelers" pants/skirts with pretty tops) but casually. No glitz. We felt very comfortable.

As far as age .... the majority of the passengers were 50's - 70's.

Most were well traveled, interesting and pleasant. We thoroughly enjoyed dining at tables of 8 and met wonderful folks that way. In fact, one of the couples we met is traveling to the Baltic with us next May.

I think you will be very comfortable with the ambience of the Oceania's ship and the quality of the folks you will meet. We thought it was the best cruise experience ever!!!! Much nicer than Windstar, and we were dedicated Windstar fans!

• 3 weeks later...

We are on the Regatta's London to Rome starting on Sept 8th. We plan on taking some of the ship's tours and doing some on our own.

How far in advance should we sign up for O's tours on-line? Do they fill up fast? I've read that they charge your credit card right away so would like to wait for a few more weeks but will do what's necessary to secure tours.

Cheers!

If a tour shows as one being limited in size, I would sign up early. Other than that, you can probably wait until you are onboard to sign up for the tour. That way, the charge will be added to your shipboard account and it won't post to your credit card until your settle your account.

• 3 years later...
If a tour shows as one being limited in size, I would sign up early. Other than that, you can probably wait until you are onboard to sign up for the tour. That way, the charge will be added to your shipboard account and it won't post to your credit card until your settle your account.

What is your experience of the quality and organization of Oceania shore excursions in 2010 and 2011? I am going on an Eastern Med cruise on Insignia in October 2011 and want to know if it is a good idea to use Oceania's excursions, particularly in small ports where I don't speak or read the language like Koper,Kotor,Corfu, Zante and Chios. Please give me your experience of current Oceania shore excursions, no matter where.

Or your private excursions in the Eastern Med.Thanks very much!

Archived