Dressing on the QM2!

sirdavid

Usually just "suit" or "business suit" would be used.

Apologies for any confusion; had no idea lounge suit is not a universal term:o.

Isn't "suit" just a generic term that covers anything from mourning wear to very casual outfits? (I'm not even going to mention the idea of a birthday suit so that Karie can be suggestive;) ). I would have thought that a "business suit" could be more formal than a "lounge suit"; I would certainly expect it to be black/dark blue or grey rather than green/light blue or white.

I suspect Judy is probably American (or at least not British) as "lounge suit" is not a popular term over here. Usually just "suit" or "business suit" would be used.

To me, "lounge suit" has always sounded like the sort of thing one would use while lounging around the house - exactly what one would not wear to work - but of course that is far from the case. I have always found the name rather ironic as a result.

Yes, I am American. Business suit is what we would call your lounge suit. Sports jackets or blazers are worn with non-matching trousers and are more laid back looking than a traditional two-piece suit.

I am old enough to remember "leisure suits" which were -- I still shudder when I think of it -- polyester pastel colored two piece men's outfits. Couldn't call them a conventional suit, but more like a lady's pantsuit (of the time -- late 70s). They were never worn with a tie, but always a gaudy printed silk-like (quianna was the name of the fabric and why I remember that is beyond me) shirt. This is what confused me -- leisure vs lounge suit.

Judy, who had to get her own coffee this morning:(

Isn't "suit" just a generic term that covers anything from mourning wear to very casual outfits?

Well yes, of course, I guess a suit is technically just something whose parts match. Diving suit suit, space suit etc. :)

But usually in the US if you say, "you should wear a suit to dinner tonight", it will be assumed it is what one would call a lounge suit in the UK. Unless of course dinner is underwater in whch case it would be a diving suit, or on the moon in which case it would be a space suit!

I am old enough to remember "leisure suits"

LOL, I wasn't around then but I've certainly heard horror stories ;) !

Yes, a lounge suit does sound an awful lot like a leisure suit, but in fact they are two totally different things.

Must admit that as a woman of a certain age, that I rolled off the computer chair in laugher and horror about the "lounge suit". I remember them all too well as our host pointed out.........100% polyester and even the good ones haha) were absolutely ghastly. They would be fabulous for Karoeoke!!!! You gave me a great giggle! Our QM2 cruise is coming up and I CAN"T WAIT!!!!!!!!

Must admit that as a woman of a certain age, that I rolled off the computer chair in laugher and horror about the "lounge suit". I remember them all too well as our host pointed out.........100% polyester and even the good ones haha) were absolutely ghastly. They would be fabulous for Karoeoke!!!! You gave me a great giggle! Our QM2 cruise is coming up and I CAN"T WAIT!!!!!!!!

Well, heavens!

Don't forget the double contrast stitching!

and the hideous paisley shirts with the huge collars a la john Travolta in Saturday Night fever.

And who could forget the ubiquitous hairy chest with the gold chain sporting a ...um... well, we always called it a 'um, I'll say zygote in case there are wee ones present, but you all know what I mean! I don't know what it really WAS supposed to be.

Yep. I'll bet you look fabulous in a Lounge Suit, Malcolm.

Oh, And While we're at it. I kept wondering at first about these DJs you were bringing with you. Why would anyone want to bring their own Disc Jockey on board..

Oh! That's right! For Karaoke!

Karie, who is just Okay- Yep. Karie-Okay!

(Not picking on you, Malcolm, You're just the arbiter of male fashion on these boards! You know I love you, dear!)

It's interesting how we sometimes cause confusion and get misunderstood on these boards due to terms that are not "universal". Makes life interesting in my book, and goes to show we are not quite as "homogenized" as we sometimes think!

In Australia "lounge suit" would be used interchangeably with "suit" or "business suit", and its NOT the same thing as a "Leisure Suit"! LOL. I also didn't realise that it was an English term so it goes to show we haven't gone completely americanised down here!

Although I have to say you would probably hear "tuxedo" just as often or even more often than "dinner suit" down here!

Cheers

Timmi

At the risk of kicking over the hornet's nest, and an apology to 'sirdavid' who initiated this thread in the hope of ending the endless quibbling (an act of pure optimism I might add ;) ) on this topic, I advance the following question:

"Do people differentiate between Black Tie and White Tie on formal evenings?"

I ask because the US Navy Uniform Regs contains both a Dinner Dress Blue (or White) Jacket and a Formal Dress (White Tie) uniform. The Dinner Dress Blue Jacket (actually black) is worn when civilians normally wear Black Tie, and Formal Dress (White Tie) is worn when civilians normally wear evening clothes (white tie).

I am planning on bringing both aboard the Dec 23rd QM2 sailing, and wondered when each would be most appropriate. My thought is to wear the Formal Dress (White Tie) to the Black & White Ball and the Dinner Dress Blue Jacket the other formal evening.

Any ideas, thoughts and comments are most appreciated.

btw: My sons (17 & 21) are coming along, and both will wear toxedos with either a black bowtie or a white tie.

I've found the following definitions of "black tie" and "white tie" for you.

I claim nothing but the ability to cut and paste!

Black Tie

Worn when invitation states “Black Tie” - receptions and balls, formal evening functions and cruises.

This consists of a single-breasted or double-breasted jacket with satin faced lapels and trousers with a satin stripe down the outside leg seam. The traditional shirt is white, plain collared with a pleated or Marcella front, but nowadays the more modern wing collared shirt with pleated front is preferred by many men.

There is a wide range of patterns and colours in bow ties, handkerchiefs, waistcoats and cummerbunds; one or other of the last two items may be worn with the single-breasted jacket, but never waistcoat and cummerbund together.

White Tie

Worn at very formal state occasions when invitation states “White Tie” - banquets, balls and ambassadorial events.

This outfit consists of a black evening tailcoat with satin faced lapels and black evening trousers with a satin stripe down the outside leg seam. With this one should wear a white Marcella waistcoat, white wing collar shirt, white Marcella bow tie and white silk handkerchief. Note: The bottom button of the waistcoat should always be fastened when wearing white tie.

I read that as suggesting that a white tie is unsuitable for a dress suit ("tuxedo") but am open to suggestions.

I read that as suggesting that a white tie is unsuitable for a dress suit ("tuxedo").

I'd agree if you're British or European (or trying to look as if you are). However what the US Navy has for its regulations could be something quite different.

For the love of God people, enough already.

Wear whatever the hell makes you happy,...if you get it wrong, you get it wrong. Your idea of formal may be different than my idea of formal,...so what!? Doesn't make me right and you wrong, it simply makes us different.

There's a more disturbing picture here than if someone isn't wearing what someone else considers to be 'up to snuff'; and that's the fact that there are people who are willing to waste precious vacation time worrying about 'the other guy'.

If you don't want to wear a tie then, by God, DON'T. There are plenty of places to dine without wearing a tie and, trust me, only the people who need to get a life are going to notice. It's not like we're talking about showing up at Britannia in a MOTORHEAD t-shirt,...

If it's a formal night, and you want to participate, fine. If you don't, go to King's Court or order room service. If anyone gives you grief, simply remind them that your money spends as easily as theirs does and, although they may see it differently, they're the one with the hang up, not you.

-Russ

For the love of God people, enough already.

Wear whatever the hell makes you happy,...if you get it wrong, you get it wrong. Your idea of formal may be different than my idea of formal,...so what!? Doesn't make me right and you wrong, it simply makes us different.

There's a more disturbing picture here than if someone isn't wearing what someone else considers to be 'up to snuff'; and that's the fact that there are people who are willing to waste precious vacation time worrying about 'the other guy'.

If you don't want to wear a tie then, by God, DON'T. There are plenty of places to dine without wearing a tie and, trust me, only the people who need to get a life are going to notice. It's not like we're talking about showing up at Britannia in a MOTORHEAD t-shirt,...

If it's a formal night, and you want to participate, fine. If you don't, go to King's Court or order room service. If anyone gives you grief, simply remind them that your money spends as easily as theirs does and, although they may see it differently, they're the one with the hang up, not you.

-Russ

Russ, I’m in agreement with you. If I may make a suggestion to you in regards to your post. It would be to visit the nearest tailor in your area and purchase the most formal :D asbestos tux :D they make. I can see the flames coming over the horizon.

I know nothing about uniforms but as far as civilian attire, I've never seen anyone wear white tie on any liner or cruise ship. In fact, I have never been to a white tie affair of any kind - isn't that sort of thing reserved for state dinners and the like?

I think black tie is plenty formal, but if someone wants to "dazzle them all" with white tie (or its military equivalent), I see no reason they shouldn't go ahead. For that matter, if you just want to wear an ordinary suit, that's fine too.

Fvernet,

Have a marvelous sailing! Hope you do not get caught up in the FLL embarkation debacle!

First, you know, of course, that miltary and civilian protocols are not the same. (There has been a previous discussion somewhere on these boards) And of course, most Americans, much less non-Americans (and I dare say even some non-Navy military personnel) would not know the difference between Mess Dress (I love the Air Force Mess Dress- Fell in love with a boy in Air Force Mess Dress!) or Formal dress uniforms. At this point in our lives, wearing a US military uniform on board ship will get you nothing but accolades and thanks, especially if you are active duty. It doesn't matter if you have been overseas or stateside. The American people, I believe, have vowed to never be unsupportive of our military personnel again, no matter how unpopular an action (war) itself may be. We are deteremined not to repeat what happened after Viet Nam. There have been discussions on the board of this, in addition to having witnessed it myself on the January Panama cruise. The poor fellow could not have a moment free in public for people rushing up to thank him. It certainly brought tears of gratitude to my eyes. He was there with his family, home on leave.

Anyway, Remember this is the Caribbean, so lighter colors are acceptable, but it is also Christmas, so the dress will likely be more formal. I honestly think you couldn't go wrong with either uniform. As for your sons, People are so delighted to see a young man dressed up, that even if it isn't ecxactly "according to Hoyle," they are most forgiving on that subject. I think it is more the norm than the exception to see young boys(and men) looking ill at ease, as if they don't fit their very skin, when dressed formally. Not too many have had the opportunity to "practice" it and get comfortable and confident. You usually see them ties askew, tugging at them, and such. It also seems that one of the fashions (Which I happen to like, BTW) is the dark shirt, Black or dark purple, with a white tie. I think it looks quite spiffy! I think the worst that could happen is that they'll be embarassed by older women fawning over them- Like grandmothers kissng!

As for Russ! I think I want to marry you! Great response!

P.S. Yes, I have seen white tie on board. I have also seen morning jackets... In the evening! They looked marvelous, and I'll bet that damn few passengers had the backgrond to know that morning jackets generally aren't worn in the evening. I have seen tails, white tie, Every manner of formal attire. 98% of people (Malcolm and manbe Kindlychap excepted) wouldn't know the difference! And truly, like I tell the other ladies, most of us are too busy worrying how WE look and what others think of us to notice if the other women are walking in in garter belt and a slip! they could be wearing clown feet, and we'd be too busy worrying about how our own shoes look and whether they really matched our dresses. trust me. Amy Vanderbilt (or Amy Post) is not likely to be on board, and if she was, she knows that the absolute, first irrevoccable rule of ettiquette is that one does NOT, under any circumstances, notice, or comment on, another's attire, negatively. That would be an unforgiveable faut pas. So fear not, Be comfortable. Enjoy your cruise and your holiday, and whatever your status and staion, thank you- And to the folks at home, keeping the fires burning bright.

Karie,

who never could resist a man in uniform! <G>

I know nothing about uniforms but as far as civilian attire, I've never seen anyone wear white tie on any liner or cruise ship. In fact, I have never been to a white tie affair of any kind - isn't that sort of thing reserved for state dinners and the like?

Fascinating discussion - if one doesn't worry too much about being flamed - but I must agree with Doug that in my (admittedly limited) experience, the only plave I have seen White Tie worn was at the "Kaiser Ball" at the Hofburg Palace in Vienna on New Year's Eve - and even then - there were a lot more of us ib Black Tie than White. As for Morning coats - only at my eldest daughter's wedding - which was at 10:30 am.

As far as uniforms go - since I was a lowly Infantryman and not assigned to Aide de Camp duties, I only owned (and wore about 10 times in 4 years), my Dress Blues (equivalent to Black Tie). I couldn't afford, and didn't need Mess Dress (equivalent to White Tie), but during the time I was in the Army (early 1970's) I couldn't afford a cruise anyway.

Jim

Looking forward to the annual wearing of my "tux" this summer!

Ah well, I've been burned before.

Have I missed something?:confused:

I'm in total agreement. You should wear what makes you happy (and what makes you happy should be one of the reasons for choosing a ship - there are a lot to choose from:) )

Thank you all for the comments - you affirmed what I suspected...that any and all level of splendiforous dress is welcome aboard QM2 (I think I just made up a word!).

Russ (linerguy) - sorry...didn't mean to spike your blood pressure, BUT...we active duty mil types do care that we wear the proper uniform as it reflects on the entire Service...not just on the individual. As a rule though, it is safer to overdress than underdress....so perhaps my question was not entirely necessary, but I thought I'd ask fellow cruisers anyway.:p

Karie - thanks for the very kind words. I would not be so luck to have you on board for this Caribbean cruise?

Cheers All

Fvernet,

Ah, Would that I could!

(Be on this Caribbean Cruise)

We have alredy taken two cruises this year, the January Panama and the Labor Day to Nova Scotia.

We wanted to be on the Dec 2 Caribbean with a number of our Cruise Critic friends, but Marc (the Significant Other) could not be away from his work, so soon after we went on our annual jaunt to Key West beginning of November. The Christmas cruise would have been marvelous, but it was a bit dear in cost, compared to one any other week. And of course, right after the holidays, the World Cruise begins. It looks as thought we will not be able to cruise until April, unless we take the Holland America trip I am looking at for maybe January or February.

Enjoy your holiday. I hope that you will be able to post a review and possibly a picture (would love to see the whole family dressed to the nines!)

Perhaps we will cross paths another time. I'm still trying to get down to Alabama one spring. My cousin in Daphne is very invovled in Daphne's Mardi Gras and hosts one of the children's parties. Other friends (parrothead club of LA- Lower Alabama) have their annual get-together (called a phlocking in the Parrothead world) "Stars Fell on Alabama" in the spring, and my Aunt has a condo on Orange Beach (That is almost rebuilt the SECOND time, after Hurricane Ivan)

So maybe I'll sail on by your area some day!

Have a marvelous cruise, to you and your family.

Karie,

who also couldn't afford a cruise, or even dress uniform in her Civil Air Patrol days in Florida, also in the late 60's to early 70's

Archived