Laptops

KiranK

It looks like there are some wifi spots on the ship, just wondering if anyone has bought their laptops. I am sailing in a PH on the Regatta in May and trying to decide whether to take my own laptop. Do you think they are safe to keep in the rooms? I doubt it will fit in the safe, perhaps I can use on of those lock up mechanisms, any thoughts???

We just did a 22-day B2B Barcelona to Miami on Regatta and left the laptop out the entire voyage without any problem. Did the same for a 16-day Miami-LA on Regatta last January. I used the wifi in the card room; hardly anyone was ever there. Power appears to be conveniently available in the forward-starboard corner of the card room although I didn't use it. Connectivity was excellent and was unavailable to me for only two very brief periods. Speed was adequate for POP email; I rarely used the Web.

We took lots (3,080) of pictures and backed up daily to the laptop and to an external USB HD which I kept in the safe. We enjoyed looking at the day's pictures on the larger screen.

Enjoy your cruise!

Fred

We also take our laptop on all of our cruises mainly to periodically check in with the office and also to download all of our pictures each day. We have never locked it up or worried about it. We just leave it sitting on the desk the entire time and it's been just fine.

Have a great trip!

On a recent Venice to Barcelona Cruise I took my laptop along. Prior to the cruise I purchased a cable lock but completely forgot to take it along. I left the PC out most of the time or slipped it into one of the dresser drawers. They will not fit in the safe. I felt perfectly comfortable that it would be there when I returned to the room.

Signals were good when I signed on. For the most part I used my battery and sat in the game room. There was always a good signal (it is next door to the PC Center). Of course the price for internet connection on Oceania is among the highest . . . but that is another matter. If you want it or need it, then you pay.

It was a wonderful cruise, good friends on board, great staff, fantistic food, etc., etc. :)

I'm envious of all of you out there traveling the high seas.

Rich

I agree with all the previous replies, laptop totally safe. I always take mine so I can keep an eye on work/ investments etc.

One thing the connections are very very slow, its almost like going back to the stone age! dont send many pictures as you will see the $ ticking away. You can log in wi-fi in and near computer room and libery, I twice logged on wi -fi in my cabin 7004, but usually went on line thru cable connection in the cabin. A point to note that in OS & VS they now supply a laptop in the cabin

regards

JimGib

"A point to note that in OS & VS they now supply a laptop in the cabin"

Not exactly true. There was one in our OS on Nautica, but there was not one in our OS on Regatta on our 10/20/06 sailing. After Regatta gets back from dry dock, there will probably be one. Don't know about the status of Insignia.

Digby

I stand corrected, i am sure you are quiet right! I noticed them on nautica. So I guess after the refurb and colour change etc. all suites will then be up to same standard. So regatta will be after the refurb in Marseille in april.

Regards JimGib

Orchestrapal, I will be sailing on Insignia in June, VS 7005, I had planned on taking my laptop but do I understand the cabins (VS) are now equipped with a laptop? Was it connected to the internet? How do the cabins look after the refurbishments?

Thanks for your time.

• 3 months later...

Orchestrapal-

We always seem to be begging advice from you. The next time you are in New York, please let us buy you a smart cocktail, or five! (that is why taxis were invented!).

Your comment about burning picture cd's from the laptop in the VS has us intrigued. What do we need to bring with us to make this happen?

Thanks again for your help

The picture of the VS verandah that you sent us is our screen saver!:D

Stan & Jim

We would love to meet you too and if you get to Phila. drinks are on us.

That said, bring along a blank CD and you cable from camera to laptop and you'll be all set.

We now carry a UBS drive (very small) and load our pictures onto that.

You'll love the VS.

We will be in one in May Venice to Stockholm.:)

We now carry a UBS drive (very small) and load our pictures onto that.

Not meaning to sound critical, but it's a USB drive (Universal Serial Bus). Prices have plummeted on them, and a 4 GB drive is now available for under $50! Fast, reliable, impervious to magnetic fields and scratches - such a deal!

Mike

Hi

I will be sailing on Regatta in June 07 and this thread seems to have some technically competent posters who might answer my question.

On Celebrity (older ships not yet up-dated) the TV sets have a video input right on the front of the set, so I have been able to use the video cable of my digital camera to preview pictures taken on a good sized screen (and do some initial culling).

Can any experiences Oceania cruiser tell me whether the stateroom TV sets have a video input which is accessible ....... would save lugging the laptop all that way if all I use it for is previewing pictures.

Thanks

Les

Does anyone know if the laptop in the OS has a slot to insert a memory card from a digital camera? Wouldn't it then be possible to save pictures from the card to a USB drive?

A converter for your memory card is under $20. It has a connector at one end for your card and a USB connector at the other end, with some electronics to make it look like a drive. Get one and it will work with any USB capable computer.

You can also get "universal" ones that work with a variety of memory cards, if you have more than one type.

Most of the newer laptops have memory card slots for most card types except compact flash. If your camera uses compact flash, you can purchase a PCMCIA card that slides into the PCMCIA slot on all laptops; the compact flash card then slides into it.

Mike

Does anyone know if the laptop in the OS has a slot to insert a memory card from a digital camera? Wouldn't it then be possible to save pictures from the card to a USB drive?

Personally, I would never trust that it does, especially since so few computers do. The cable from camera to PC is so lightweight, bring that.

How do you pay for minutes used if you bring your own laptop?

Jan

As Don already stated but if you plan on using the internet a fair bit be sure to go to the computer lab and sign up for one of the packages ...the minutes tick by pretty fast.

Archived