Footwear for Egypt

pacmom

We leave for Uniworld's cruise on Feb 19th. My question: athletic shoes or sandals? Would like to buy them soon to "break them in". We decided not to do Abu Simbel---Christmas morning found an envelope witha card entitling the bearer to one ticket to abu simbel. Afew weeks ago he had said that my Christmas list wasn't very great, so I jokingly said--how about a ticket to Abu Simbel? What a great guy!!! We do have some free time in Cairo. Any restaurant or shopping hints. I guesss Ubiworld has us staying at the Marriott. Happy New Year. Safe travels and enjoy.

Pat

Hmmm. Trying to figure the last post. You mean they do not have germs at home? Actually, wearing any kind of shoe just allows your feet to heat-up and get moist which is a great incubator. Sandals allow the circulation of air. But seriously, we recently returned from 2 weeks traveling throughout Egypt and had a wonderful time. My wife generally wore sneakers and I lived in my very old very worn Clarks sandels. The truth be told, my feet "scream" if they out of sandals and have to suffer the indignity of being encased in a show! The bottom line for Egypt is you should wear shoes that are very comfortable and give you decent support on uneven surfaces. Do not worry about style because nobody really cares what's on your feet...and besides, you will never see these people again!

Hank

Since you did not like the way I was trying to put it politely in my post, to put it bluntly, Egypt does have raw sewage flowing through and on their streets that does get walked in and trampled about. I don't see alot of that here in the USA. And, yes, raw sewage does contain many germs. And, Egypt does have different parasites in their soil than the USA. Each country has its own parasites that are native to that region.

Well, I must admit that I missed something on our trip through Egypt. We never saw any raw sewage on the streets (or even on the grass). Now, I do have a neighbor who has problems with her septic system so I guess we better avoid walking near her home. Guess I will leave the worries about germs, parasites and viruses to others and just enjoy life!

Thanks for the info. Yes, I know that there are many parasites in Egypt--have had typhoid, tetanus and hepatitis shots. This reason I asked was would it be too hot for closed shoes. Am definitely not a fasionista. Would probably wear socks with my sandals (horror of horrors). Travel safely and enjoy. Pat

You will be doing a LOT of walking in Egypt. There is no ADA there! There are lots of steps to climb, lots of rocky and sandy paths to walk on. I wore my basic Skechers walking shoes and was very comfortable. I don't think I would have been comfortable in sandals, personally.

As for germs -- I didn't actually see any raw sewage, but I certainly did not see US sanitation standards! You are definitely not at home. I think that I preferred having a nice heavy shoe between me and what I was walking in -- especially around the camels!!

;)

You will love Abu Simbel! I am very glad you are going. That was a great Christmas gift!

Check out our Egypt trip report at

The Halls Go to Egypt

It was definitely the trip of a lifetime!

When we were in Egypt I wore closed toed walking shoes with socks. There are alot of rocky areas to walk on and you will be much more comfortable on tours in a good shoe that supports your foot. When we were in the Hotel I wore my pretty shoes. I know you will enjoy Egypt we enjoyed it so much. Happy Sailing, Joy

Thank you for the advice about the shoes. I do have another question. What type of clothes did you wear touring? I don't wear shorts and am hoping that capris will be good. We will be at the Cairo Marriott before and after our river cruise. Am trying to decide where some good shooping would be. Don't want to have to rely on quick sales with vendord only. Thanks in advance. Travel safely and enjoy. Pat

Thank you for the advice about the shoes. I do have another question. What type of clothes did you wear touring? I don't wear shorts and am hoping that capris will be good. We will be at the Cairo Marriott before and after our river cruise. Am trying to decide where some good shooping would be. Don't want to have to rely on quick sales with vendord only. Thanks in advance. Travel safely and enjoy. Pat

Sure, capris will do fine -- but wear loose fitting stuff. Tight pants or tops are going to be sweaty and hot. Believe it or not, the most comfortable shirts in Egypt were the ones I got at a Renaissance Faire with big puffy sleeves!

Shopping for what? Every site has a gazillion importunate vendors selling every sort of cheap tourist gimcrack. It is lots of fun to bargain, yell, and dicker with them! The nice things to buy are mostly papyrus, alabaster, essential oils, and carpets. Your guide will likely take you to some reputable places, and if he doesn't will certainly recommend some.

In Cairo the Khan al Khalili (sp?) Bazaar is famous and just wandering through it is amazing.

enjoy the marriott.....ive stayed there a number of times. Most recently in September. Make sure you waunder around especially upstairs through the old palace. There is an incredible staircase in the middle of the hotel leading up to the reception rooms above. They are doing refurbishment on the exterior of the hotel but hopefully most of the scaffolding should be down by now. We were amazed to see that it was bamboo and the workers were running around it with no safety equipment...but hey...its Egypt. I wont comment on the shoes.....or the supposed sewage..I think its been coverred. The restaurants in the hotel are varied , entertaining, reasonably priced and excellant. the shops in the hotel are reasonably priced...last trip I bought a series of crystal pryimids that were in a set and had bargained hard most of the day for and then on returning to the hotel found them in the shop for the same price I had achieved in the market. While I am on the subject...do go to the Pharonic Village...its worth it...and also if you are looking for something different...search out the Nilometer. It is an old measurement of the nile floods...still in working order. If you are interested I will search out the directions for you it is not generally on the tourist trail...

Enjoy Egypt..its the most fabulous country in the world..... im envious but planning my 6th trip for april next year....

Touring in Egypt I wore a combination of walking shoes (sneakers) with socks or walking sandals, depending on what we were doing. I used the closed shoes in Cairo, where it was cooler--this was in March--60's and 70's. In Luxor it was incredibly hot, over 100 and I'd have suffered in closed shoes. However, there are uneven surfaces at many of the sites, so you have to watch your step and take this into account. I didn't notice any particularly dirty areas or raw sewage. Aswan was quite warm too, but not uncomfortable. Abu Simbel was 80ish and wonderful! So glad you can make it.

My feet do tend to get very, very hot, so I'd rather wear sandals if at all possible. I even commit the sin of sandals with socks on occasion, when I want a little more foot protection without the heat of sneakers.

Capris, long flowy skirts or slacks are fine in Egypt. We also wore shorts when outside of Cairo because of the heat.

Thanks to all for the thoughtful answers---guess it will be closed walking shoes and capris for touring. The Marriott sounds wonderful. Think I'll scope out their shops before venturing out on the economy. We will not have a lot of free time , but I do want to bring home some useful and good momentoes of the trip(besides many, many pictures). Travel safely and enjoy. Pat

Hi - we are leaving for Egypt next month with GCT. Thanks for all the good information posted here.

Roscoe - we will be staying at the Marriott while in Cairo. It was good to see your positive report. We had thought of seeing a belly dancing show if possible while in Cairo. Do you know if the Marriott has one? Also - is it necessary for the guys to wear a sport coat for dinner at the hotel? Dear hubby would prefer not to take one if possible.

Thanks again for the info. Nancy

Heny Nancycoop1 There was a belly dancing show at one of the restaurants while I was there last, a band at another...and the waiters are entertaining enough themselves at all of them...... Most of the 5star Hotels put shows on..there are a number of restaurants at the Marriott....a steak house...(yes thats what i said) inside the new part of the hotel is quite good for a quick meal but I prefered the outdoor restaurants overlooking the pool area, . .The atmosphere at night in this marbled courtyard is fantastic and although the dress is smart casual I dont think a Jacket is required. (besides...some nights its too hot!) The Omar Kayhan cafe at the bottom of the entrance stairs had great turkish coffee.

Ive seen a number of the rooms in the hotel over the years ive been staying there....what type of rooms do you or Pacmom have booked? (garden view, nile view etc) Ill see if I have photos for you....

Since we are part of a tour, we won't know what type of room til we get there. Nancy, when will you be traveling. We leave on Feb 19th--it would be fun to have a drink together , if we're there at the same time. We have friends going on the trip, but just before ours. Safe travels and enjoy. Pat

Hi - Roscoe, we have requested a Nile view room, but will not know for sure until we arrive. Thanks for the info on sport coats - he probably won't take one this trip. I also loved your information on shopping.

Pacmom - we arrive in Cairo on Feb. 25th - will you still be there then? It would be fun to meet if you are. We are going with GCT and will do a Nile cruise after our time in Cairo.

Hi - Roscoe, we have requested a Nile view room, but will not know for sure until we arrive. Thanks for the info on sport coats - he probably won't take one this trip. I also loved your information on shopping.

Pacmom - we arrive in Cairo on Feb. 25th - will you still be there then? It would be fun to meet if you are. We are going with GCT and will do a Nile cruise after our time in Cairo.

Hi Nancy we did the GCT of the Nile and we enjoyed it very much. I wore slacks with sleeveless tops and a jacket I could take on or off. I also wore comfortable loose fitting dresses. My husband is a big fan of Hawaian shirts and he wore those and jeans. He always brings his tuxedo but it was not necessary and he also had other shirts a blazer and slacks. I know you will have a wonderful time. Fred and I enjoyed it so much in May. We did Jordon, Israel, Egypt and down the Nile. I would do it again. Happy Sailing, Joy

Great Nancycoop.,the boats dock right in the heart of luxor..re the marriott, the nileview rooms are great. I stayed in one of them in September...its great being able to have coffee on your terrace in the morning and watch the felluccas sail past and hear the "call to prayer" all around you. There are two types of nile view rooms., the refurbished ones in the upper floors of the modern towers...above floor 7 i think...and the older decorated ones, which were still very comfortable, below. I would have warned against the cheaper garden view rooms. My experience of them is that they are a bit damp and not in very good condition. I tried to include a pic of my last nile view room here but it wont come out so here is the link to a very good site that includes some very realistic pics of the hotel.

http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/CAIEG

oh...by the way, meant to say the hotel is located really close to the museum and the corniche. Its a beautiful evening walk over the bridge and along passed the tourist boats and ferries toward the square the museum is located in...probably about 20 minutes, its very safe but as in every city at night just be aware of what is around you. You will find most caironeese are polite and interested in the fact that you are foreign, rather than eyeing you up to rob you! If you are in need of directions or assistance., the tourist police, dressed in white are there to help and protect you, they all wear badges showing what languages they speak. I hope you get out and about on your own and dont just stick to tour guides. It is a fascinating city.

Hi Nancy: Fred did not need his sports coat in Cairo. We stayed at the Hilton which was very convenient. We were able to buy juice from a little kiosk across the street and they also sold Beer but you had to ask for it. The brand of Beer was Stella and it was very good. The kiosk was very accomodating and even went to another store to get us a flashlight so we could see the paintings in the temples better. There is a mall across from the Hotel and it was fun to see what was for sale there. I found for myself that microfiber was wonderful to travel with and I had a jacket made of it with matching pants top and also a dress that matched it. I wore the jacket because it kept me from burning and also in muslem countries they do not like to see alot of skin. When you go into religious temples you have to have your head covered and your arms covered. I know you will enjoy this trip. Do you know which ship you will be on down the Nile? Happy Sailing, Joy

Archived