Well you knew it was coming.. Cell Phones

tutzig

In my experience, cell phones don't even work on the ship, except in the home port. I couldn't get through in Mexico. I don't think you have to worry about limiting cell phones to certain areas, because there are no towers in the middle of the ocean.

That's the whole point of the article. A passenger's cellphone signal would be picked up by an antenna on the ship and then relayed via satellite to the mainland.

Dan, I agree... last thing I need on a cruise is a cell phone! And for people with children at home, there is a number to call the ship and if it is a legitimate emergency, the parents can be reached...

Now, do we really need two threads on this subject? :D

Hate it, Hate it, Hate it!! One of the things I enjoy about cruise vacations is the lack of cell phones. Too many cell users are discourteous to others. They have loud conversations about nothing ( "What are you doing", "Oh nothing, What are you doing?", "Just sitting around") their ring tones interupt other conversations, on and on and on.

I hate to be a grouch on this issue, but cell phones on cruise ships is a bad idea.

If your life is so involved that you can't be away from your phone then re-evaluate your vacation choices or your lifestyle. Please don't ruin mine.

From what I understand, since NCL's pride of America stays in the Hawaiin islands without the foreign port, most cell phones are working. I think many people have become annouyed by ringing cell phones on that ship.

Personally, I don't want mine to work until I'm back home!

Hate to be a wet blanket but cell phones work in almost all of the Eastern and Western ports of call. A lot depends on your service provider but the towers are there and they work about 95% of the time.

I bring my cell phone with me and generally keep in on virbration and mostly leave it in my room since I can't use it except in the port. If I miss a call it shows up in the missed call window and I can call back if I wish.

I can understand the discourtesy of using a phone in a show, or a place where there is a meeting going on or even in a church but talking on a cell phone it public should not bother anyone especially if it's a normal conversation where other conversation is going on. If you're not interested in listening in on their conversation than don't do it.

I'm more annoyed by the people who drive with a cell phone stuck to their ear.

AT&T Wireless GMS phones will work in places like Cancun and Cozumel -- they even offer a monthly-fee plan -- @ $0.69 per minute -- for those who travel frequently to Mexico (presumably on business):

http://www.attwireless.com/callinternational/abroad/when_abroad_freq_mex.jhtml

Otherwise, the flat roaming rate is $1.29 per minute back to the U.S.

I'll probably take mine just so I can brag to somebody back home while I'm on the beach in Cozumel. But, aboard ship, it'll stay in the safe -- I generally don't even turn mine on at home unless I want to use it. It's more a safety device.

I had previously checked on my Southern Itinerary and the US Territories work and only get charged normal roaming at .60 cents per minute. Aruba and Barbados will cost $1.69 per minute and there will be no service in Dominica. This is with my AT&T GMS service. You have to get the "World" thing turned on before you leave at a rate of $5.99 a month,

then cancel it when you return. While I'm not expecting to use my phone, I feel much better having it on me in port should something happen or with me on the cruise should something happen at home. I do not intend on ever leaving it on- just checking for messages, etc.

Anymore, I find them less annoying than year's past. Maybe I've gotten used to them. Years ago, they were some kind of status symbol so those that had them liked to make a big show of using them. Now, they are just commonplace so there's no reason to do that. As for me, I leave mine off when vacationing. But I have it if I need it, which I often do to contact rental car pick ups and the like. They are good to have!

I don't think anyone is upset about using cell phones in ports... we've always been able to use cell phones on land... I think it is more the issue of the prospect of them being used ON the ship itself...

Archived