Voyager Horizon C or Penthouse B?

Greetings All. I am looking for some help. We are booked on the Voyager Room 878 (corner horizon suite) with wrap-around deck. We have the opportunity to upgrade at no charge to a Penthouse B. I know either will be great, but would like to know if anyone has been in 877 or 878. Previously we have been on the Mariner, also "C" but there really is no comparison, as the Mariner C is larger than the Penthouse B. We like the idea of the LARGE private balcony and don't know if giving up the balcony is worth the butler service. I've felt pretty pampered without butler service before.

Thoughts and experiences appreciated.

Julie

I had a similar conundrum recently, being booked in an Horizon suite and offered a Penthouse. I opted for the Penthouse, never having experienced butler service. In the event the cruise was the ill-fated 11 December cruise which was cancelled, so I never did get my butler service!

However, I may have opted differently had my Horizon suite been one of the wrap-around ones. They have lovely large balconies. But are you sure the deck 8 has wrap-arounds? The Regent deck plans for Voyager show these on other decks, but not deck 8, though the photos look different.

My next, rearranged, cruise is on Mariner in late April. I am hoping for an upgrade to a Penthouse then but what would I give for an Horizon on Mariner! (not money, I hasten to add. I can't afford it)

What a nice choice to make! If we had to choose, we'd go for the Horizon simply because we like to sit on an aft verandah with a drink and watch the panorama of where we've been. We've had butlers and although they're a nice-to-have, I don't feel we use them to the fullest. Where is the ship sailing? That might make a difference, also; but I don't think it would for us. Whichever you decide, you'll be more than happy and we wish you a pleasant cruise!

Esther

Hi Julie

We had an horizon suite on Voyager early last October. Suite number 1055 (starboard), which had the fabulous wrap-around deck.

Although I have no experience of a penthouse, I would definitely opt for a corner horizon again if we ever get to go on Voyager again. The views as we left each port of call were magnificent. Nothing like sitting out on the deck, with the proverbial "sundowner" in hand, watching the sunset dip down below the horizon.

Enjoy your cruise... we had the most fantastic time! :)

i chose the horizon suite on the tranatlantic to miami in nov and read a lot about the vibration but thought it will be ok had 877 that i was realy looking forward to. but as soon as the engines started this awful vibration was noticed not noticed anything like this beforew. i just loved the balcony no vibration noticed out there but inside it was a different story. i took it for 2 days but them i asked for another but even though she was not full there ws only 1 cabin and that was one that another had rejected beacause of vthe constant creaking but it was better than the vibration. will be interested to hear if this problem has been sorted out with her recent dry docking as i would love to try it again.

dave

i did try a butler service on the navigator but would'nt bother again its just not worth it

dave

I have been on a regular Horizon suite on the Voyager and a Penthouse suite. It is hard to choose. I cabin in the Horizon suite is the same as every other standard cabin. However, the balcony is to die for, if you like balconies. On the other hand, the layout of the Penthouse suite is fantastic. It goes horizontal along the ship instead of vertical. Therefore, the bedroom really is more separated from the sitting area. The bedroom has a huge vanity and writing desk, and an large picture window. The sitting area is about the same as a standard cabin.

I will actually be in your cabin on the transatlantic crossing in April. I am looking forward to the wraparound balcony.

I obviously did not notice a problem with vibrations in the aft section.

Enjoy either one.

Edit to add, I really didn't see what the Butler did that a cabin steward wouldn/t. Maybe I am not as fussy as others.

The Penthouse Suites on Voyager are really nicely laid out. In fact, almost everything about the Voyager is great. Although the vibration is written about in numerous threads, it only seems to bother some people.

My husband was bothered by the vibration and we were mid-ship (1027 Penthouse A). The only place I felt that the vibration was strong enough to possibly be annoying was on deck 11 in the restaurant. So, given a choice, even though the vibration isn't a problem for me, I would definitely go with a Penthouse suite. Just my opinion. Have a great time.:)

We spent 12 happy days in 877 in 2004 seeing Norwegian fjords. The cabin, of course, was the standard spacious Voyager cabin but the wrap around balcony was magnificent--a major plus. We used the balcony extensively and were glad to have spent the extra bucks to have it since this was a view intensive itinerary. (We didn't pay extra for the balcony, only for the Horizon View suite.) I've been in the Penthouse suites several times although I've never booked one. For the money, I'd select a Penthouse over an Horizon View cabin on a less view intensive itinerary such as the Baltic or a crossing. I like the tad bit of extra space and the improved layout you get in a Penthouse suite. Since room service is perfection on the Voyager, I wouldn't spend the extra bucks for a butler.

Patrick

I really appreciate all the feedback, ideas and past experiences. We are cruising the Caribbean in late November and have opted to go with the Horizon Suite, 878. We will spend lots of time on the balcony just relaxing, and hopefully we'll have decent weather. It seems that the vibration will either not bother us or else it will. And if it does, we'll deal with it. We just can't pass up that balcony.

Thanks to All!

Julie

• 1 month later...
I really appreciate all the feedback, ideas and past experiences. We are cruising the Caribbean in late November and have opted to go with the Horizon Suite, 878. We will spend lots of time on the balcony just relaxing, and hopefully we'll have decent weather. It seems that the vibration will either not bother us or else it will. And if it does, we'll deal with it. We just can't pass up that balcony.

Thanks to All!

Julie

we are considering this cabin too - has anyone cruised in 877 or 878 since Voyagers drydock in Nov 06? Has the vibration improved?

we are considering this cabin too - has anyone cruised in 877 or 878 since Voyagers drydock in Nov 06? Has the vibration improved?

DW and I were on the Voyager's New Year's Western Carib cruise, we noticed a slight vibration occasionally on the lower decks, but I couldn't tell if it was cavitation or vibration from the pods. If we hadn't been reading all the posts about Voyager, we probably would have dismissed the vibration as cavitation. It definitely didn't interfere with us enjoying a wonderful cruise.

Alan

• 1 year later...

Popper Cabin 877. What was your feedback on cabin 877. I'm booked next year in cabin 1054 which also has a large wraparound deck but just below the Veranda restaurant. We are waitlisted for cabin 877. Which do you think is better? Actually the deck on 1054 is larger than 877.

I thought long and hard comparing these two types of cabins for our Voyager trip next year. I opted for the PH B (723), because of the things I've heard about the aft vibration. And because of the good things I've heard about the PH suites--not much bigger, but nicely laid out. The thought of the huge balcony is tempting, but this is what we decided--we'll see how it turns out. I wouldn't pay for a butler, but it will be interesting to have one, for once.

Nothing changed in terms of the vibration in the November, 2006 dry dock. . .nor, do we really expect a change as a result of the December, 2008, drydock.

There is a aft vibration on the Voyager -- at times it is extremely annoying. I'm trying to understand why a large balcony is more important than vibration. Also, you are looking out of the back of the ship -- instead of the front. Plus, you are paying more money for this:confused: Sorry, but, it just doesn't make sense!

Both of these responses puzzle me. Lenbro asked for comparisons on 877 and 1054. These are both H suites rearward facing with large balconies. I sailed in the next suite to 877 and was extremely pleased. The vibration was noticeable on occasions but didn't bother us. I am aware, though that many are bothered by it. A friend had the opposite "corner" to 1054 and was delighted especially with the extra-large wrap around balcony, but it is directly under the restaurant so my choice would be 877.

I see. But as the original post was Jan 07, I assumed that trip would be over and done with, so I thought it was lenbro's query which needed a reply.

You're right. . . it just would have been easier if lenbro started a new thread:confused:

Sorry that I made my post on this thread but I didn't know how to contact "Popper" who had earlier posted on this thread. He had mentioned he was staying on an upcoming cruise in cabin 877 and by now had taken that cruise . I wanted to know what he thought about the cabin. I'd be glad to hear from anyone who could tell me how I should have done it.

I have also reserved cabin 878 during a December cruise of the Caribean. In my view, the wrap around deck on a Caribean cruise is a good choice. It seems reasonable to assume that a transatlantic cruise may have a greater level of vibration versus a Caribean cruise (increased speed appears to result in greater vibration). I would like to know you impression of the cabin following your cruise. The rep at RSSC recommended the 8th level as compared to the 10th level since the upper level is directly below the restaurant.

We just came back from a week in 1044, right under Le Veranda. We never heard anything!! The vibration issue is imo a non event. All ships have some vibration when travelling at speed. The Voyager is no different; but it didn't bother us at all.

Hey newlondon, glad you are back safe and sound. Ruth and I are still on the Voyager but ready to come home.

With regards to the horizon c cabins, we are in 677 and if they gave us another week free I do not think I would take. Every time we sped up, turned or slowed down, there was much noise on top of the vibration which was at times very annoying. I could always tell lying in bed when we were getting close to the ports or pulling away. One of the crew told me that the boat had been in an accident and was not repaired correctly. Maybe when in dry dock that will be corrected or on a higher deck it would not be as noticeable. I think I could take the vibration itself. 6 is over the horizon lounge but I do not think there were ever more than 5 people in the lounge at the same time except for afternoon tea and trivia!

I second the last post (hi Loren) -- we're currently downstairs -- almost ready to head off to Mykonos.

Some of the Horizon suites may be fine. But, there is a reason why there are incentives to book those suites. Something to think about.

Archived