1st Cruise / Need Alaska float plane advise

Susiebell2

Do I ever need honest, expert advise! Our ship (Volendam) will be going to Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. I can only afford to take one float plane excursion, and would like it to be the most scenic possible. I had planned to go on the bear viewing trip, but it is too late in the season and it is not offered. The helicopter flights are so expensive. What do you suggest?

We went to Alaska two summers ago on the Statendam. We took the float plane ride and it was very nice. The plane landed in the water and you could walk on the pantoon( a thingy around the bottom of the plane). it was quiet and beautiful. However, in Juno(sure that isn't spelled right) we did the helicopter ride combined with the dog sledding and did it through HAL. it was expensive but I think it was one of the highlights of my life. As the helicopter took off, they gave us headphones with music playing. The senses were bombarded with the sights and the sound and it was beautiful beyond belief. Just as I thought the helicopter was going to crash into the glacier, it would make a turn and go through a path. When we landed, we were given instructions on the dog sledding and it was fantastic. The guides were great and it was the experience of a lifetime for me. This trip is very dependent on the weather. We did Alaska up and back and on the way back it was drizzling in port and the htrip was canceled. We happened to be in Alaska during a heat wave and it was 90 degrees in port but cold up on the glacier, so plan to wear a hat and gloves and a very warm jacket.

Find some other way to save some money and take the helicopter and dog sledding if you possibly can. You won't be sorry. Well worth it. And if you do it through HAL and it's canceled, you won't have a hassle getting your money refunded.

We went to Alaska two summers ago on the Statendam. We took the float plane ride and it was very nice. The plane landed in the water and you could walk on the pantoon( a thingy around the bottom of the plane). it was quiet and beautiful. However, in Juno(sure that isn't spelled right) we did the helicopter ride combined with the dog sledding and did it through HAL. it was expensive but I think it was one of the highlights of my life. As the helicopter took off, they gave us headphones with music playing. The senses were bombarded with the sights and the sound and it was beautiful beyond belief. Just as I thought the helicopter was going to crash into the glacier, it would make a turn and go through a path. When we landed, we were given instructions on the dog sledding and it was fantastic. The guides were great and it was the experience of a lifetime for me. This trip is very dependent on the weather. We did Alaska up and back and on the way back it was drizzling in port and the htrip was canceled. We happened to be in Alaska during a heat wave and it was 90 degrees in port but cold up on the glacier, so plan to wear a hat and gloves and a very warm jacket.

Find some other way to save some money and take the helicopter and dog sledding if you possibly can. You won't be sorry. Well worth it. And if you do it through HAL and it's canceled, you won't have a hassle getting your money refunded.

On our first cruise to Alaska, we took the combination jet boat/float plane excursion out of Ketchikan to Misty Fjords. I thought it was the best of both worlds, being on the water one-way and seeing it all from above the other way. Have a great time!

I also did a float plane excursion to Misty Fjords. We landed on a lake and also were able to step out onto a pontoon. The trip was not inexpensive, but it was one of the most memorable travel experiences that I have enjoyed. I most highly recommend such an experience!

Alaska was meant to be seen from the air. We have taken six cruises on the inside package, and we will be back again! We have done two flights out of Ketchikan, including the boat / float plane combination to Misty fiords.

Yes, these flights are a little pricey. They have a very short tourist season, and have to cancel about a third of scheduled flights due to weather. Just a note of caution, it does rain in Alaska. We have scheduled the flight to Taku Glacier Lodge five times, and have been rained out all five times.

We too have to manage our money, so we are happy to book an inside guarentee so we can afford this one luxury. And yes, we are going back to try it again.

I don't think you can go wrong on a float plane excursion. We have talked to many passengers who have taken various flights, and without exception, all were very pleased with the experience. If you do nothing else while you are there, see Alaska from the air. Then you will know the true meaning of the phrase, Breathtaking Beauty. Alaska is truely the greatest show on earth.

Do I ever need honest, expert advise! Our ship (Volendam) will be going to Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. I can only afford to take one float plane excursion, and would like it to be the most scenic possible. I had planned to go on the bear viewing trip, but it is too late in the season and it is not offered. The helicopter flights are so expensive. What do you suggest?

and what time of the year are you doing this cruise, Susiebell2?

and what time of the year are you doing this cruise, Susiebell2?

and what time of the year are you doing this cruise, Susiebell2? It is

and what time of the year are you doing this cruise, Susiebell2? It is too

and what time of the year are you doing this cruise, Susiebell2? It is too early

and what time of the year are you doing this cruise, Susiebell2? It is too early yet

and what time of the year are you doing this cruise, Susiebell2? It is too early yet for the full list of excursions to be posted, I found it changed as the time got closer.

Sorry I have no idea how all the above happened, everything just took off on me. Gremlins

Misty Fjords by floatplane is fantastic, but Taku Lodge, out of Juneau, (the one sueleekey mentioned) is one of our best excursions ever. So much so that we did it twice!

Pictures are here and, especially, here....

AKair_view.jpg

These are some of the nicest pix I have seen of Alaska. Thanks for sharing.

Archived