It's Maitre d' ...

jtl513

Oh my goodness, I have to laugh out loud. For a moment I was wondering why my English major daughter would be on a cruise website, and then I realized it wasn't Meg after all. At times I find myself correcting my son and DH's english. So funny, thanks for the chukkle....;)

OK pretty funny up to now, but here is the one that really, really bugs me!

debarking, surely that is something to do with dogs :confused:

I wonder what one would say instead? "While we were in the process of disembarkation....." :confused:

I wonder what one would say instead? "While we were in the process of disembarkation....." :confused:

I wonder what one would say instead? "While we were in the process of disembarkation....."

Easy-- "while we were disembarking"

I would prefer to not rile the animal rights people and instead say that debarking is the process of removing bark from a tree:D Disembark seems awkward, but does seem to be the proper term... except that I never disembark, I get unwillingly thrown off of the dam ship.

Thank you! I'm glad I'm not the only one who cares about this stuff!:D

While we're at it: the little snacks they serve with drinks are "hors d'oeuvres" (or canapes, if you want something easier to spell!).

But that's not to disrespect or discourage anyone who wants to solicit or provide information, and doesn't necessarily know how things are spelled. It's far more important that we all share what we know, in a spirit of generosity and community, than that our spelling and grammar are perfect.:)

... NOT Maitre'd or Maitre 'd!!!!! Because it's short for Maitre d'hotel. I just had to vent that! Thank you! :D

During the mustard drill we were discussing whether the maitradee was allowed to debark the ship:D
When ships were made of wood they probably had a whole bunch of people doing the debarking, but the maeterdee probably wasn't one of them...

While we're at it: the little snacks they serve with drinks are "hors d'oeuvres" (or canapes, if you want something easier to spell!).
Someone told me that they were horses ovaries, so I've avoided them. :D

Fred

Thank you! I'm glad I'm not the only one who cares about this stuff!:D

But that's not to disrespect or discourage anyone who wants to solicit or provide information, and doesn't necessarily know how things are spelled. It's far more important that we all share what we know, in a spirit of generosity and community, than that our spelling and grammar are perfect.:)

O2B@C! Now there is a clever screen name! You are quite right and it is against the board rules to criticize other posters' spelling or grammar errors. But this thread, not being directed to any particular poster, can be humorous and possibly educational at the same time.

I wonder what one would say instead? "While we were in the process of disembarkation....."

OK, gang..... picture Homer Simpson slapping his forhead....

"DOHHHHHH!" I feel like a dope. :p (I had even spent some time pondering that!) :o

OK, gang..... picture Homer Simpson slapping his forhead....

"DOHHHHHH!" I feel like a dope. :p (I had even spent some time pondering that!) :o

Archived