Conquest only Questions! Post 'em Here!

ShoMeChiefsFan

:D I just wanted ot say thank you to everyone who helped me plan a cruise for my family. We went on the Carnival Conquest last july (out of Galveston) I plan everything atleast 6 moths in advance,so my daughter was excited very early. The conquest was our first criuse and i dont have any complaints. My daughter was 11 when we took the criuse-but she turned 12 on the last day of the criuse! she was so happy! I also have a son that was 14 at the time of the criuse. They both had a wonderful time and said it was the best vacation ever! to anyone who is thinking about going on a cruise with children..... DO IT! My daughter still talks about it and i dont thinkk she ever will stop! Your first criuse is a once and a lifetime experience so make it memorable! :)

thanks again everyone!

To amy:

You said that you booked the Captain Marvins tour? We did it last year and it was great!

Have fun!

Oh, in Montego bay we did a white water rapids tour and it didnt work out,we were waiting for a boat for 2 hours. We finally got one and the experience was memorable i can tell you that! We kept getting stuck on rocks (with a guide) and had to get out -our the children were shoved into the boat and we (the adults) had to stay on the edge and paddle. It started raining and when we had to get out i slipped and cut my knee. At the end of the tour my childen loved it but it was not fun for the adults.

Thanks! Do you know what the admission price is pp to Sunset beach? I am trying to determine how much cash to carry with us that day. Also, did you walk to beach or did you take a taxi?

Thanks!

Amy

Sunset Beach is $40pp for adults and I think $20 for kids (like 17 and under). Check the Jamaica board for the Sunset Beach thread.

Right after you exit the terminal building there are LOTS of taxis and people trying to get you in their cabs:eek: but it's like a 5 minute drive and you pay right when you get there at the front deck and they give you a pink bracelet then you're in:D

FYI

Sunset Beach is an all-inclusive resort. The $40 admission for adults includes a bar-b-cue lunch and all you can drink. The $20 for minors includes the same sans the alcoholic beverages.

Sunset Beach also offers a sit-down restaurant for lunch which is included also. You will not be seated in bathing suits so you will need to bring a change of cloths with you.

Hi We too are sailing on 7/8. This will be our 1st anniv and our first cruise too. We are both so excited and so ready to just get away. We have 5 year old twins and a 13 year old that are staying at home with grandparents. We are staying at the Hotel Galvez and they suggested limo service with Dwaine Johnson from Houston Airport. Has anyone ever used either of these? Any suggestions for our first cruise?

My family and i will be staying in these rooms on our upcoming cruise in August. I was wondering if anyone who has stay in these rooms could tell me a little about them. We are on the Upper deck. Catergory 8a. Also has anyone travelled in Late august? How is the weather? We are from the California desert so we are accustomed to heat (110 degrees plus) . Thanks for any information you can give me. You can email at desertrata@msn.com with the info considering I don't get much time on the computer.

Thanks a BUnch!

Has anyone stayed in this cabin? It's below the pool (actually just forward of the pool). I'm wondering if it'll be bad with the early morning chair noises I've been reading about on these boards.... :confused:

I will be in 8276, July 15. I was hoping we wouldn't have that irritating noise, either?

I can't answer your question... just know that you'll rarely be in your room!!!! When you guys shower and change, you might want to do it in "shifts"... My wife and I will be on the same cruise, Cabin 6489.... your kids will have a BLAST!!!!

Dean

I wonder if all the extra beds come out of the ceiling? My husband and 2 girls will be on the same cruise staying in 8276.

glynette

Does the Cabin Steward put the top bunks away during the day? Can they?

Yes they put them away in the morning and they put them back down while you are at dinner and leave little chocolates on your pillow and a funny towel animal in your room. Great service wish I had one at home!!!

Just off the conquest a week ago ( wishing we were back most definately).

We had cabin 7230 (port side suite) and it was awesome , a great view of all the ports.

We leave July 8 and we are in cabin 7326, which is just a little down from where your cabin was. Do you have pictures of your cabin? I think yours was a Cat 11, as ours is.

Ok, I am new to this site so forgive me if I am asking questions that have already been answered.

My family is booked for the Sept. 30th cruise. We have 5 children so we had to get 2 connecting staterooms. Our rooms are 1116 and 1118.

1. Can anyone share with me their experiences with staterooms that "connect"?
  2. I have not seen any stateroom pictures that have "floor to ceiling" windows. I am curious to see them.
  3. Is the coffee bar an additional charge? (I am addicted to Caramel Macchiatos and when I heard they had "something similiar to Starbucks" I knew I had to ask!)
  4. Are there many children in the main dining rooms? My husband and I are determined to take the kids in there for dinner but we also don't want to be "that family".
  5. Coincedentaly my mom, her husband and some of their friends are going on the same cruise. How do you find out if you are in the same dining room as another passenger?
  6. I have heard about several complaints about Jamaica. I really wanted to do the Dunns River Falls excursion but a 2 hour bus ride? Is it really worth it to sit on a bus for 4 hours?? Are there any other suggestions?
  7. There seems to be a lot of discussion about not being able to stop in Grand Cayman. Does this happen a lot? If so, is October a good time to avoid this problem?
  8. I heard you could bring a "reasonable amount of coke products" onboard. Does anyone have a suggestion? 1 or 2 - 12 packs good per cabin?
  9. Has anyone been on the Mayan Ruin excursion? Is it worth it? Any other suggestions?

Thank you so much! We are so excited about this cruise, I made the kids a "countdown calendar" for it! :D

Kim

Wife to Gary for 13 years

MOM to 5!

Hannah ~ 7, Kolby, Lauryn & Dylan ~5, Holton ~2

Ok, I am new to this site so forgive me if I am asking questions that have already been answered.

My family is booked for the Sept. 30th cruise. We have 5 children so we had to get 2 connecting staterooms. Our rooms are 1116 and 1118.

1. Can anyone share with me their experiences with staterooms that "connect"?
  2. I have not seen any stateroom pictures that have "floor to ceiling" windows. I am curious to see them.
  3. Is the coffee bar an additional charge? (I am addicted to Caramel Macchiatos and when I heard they had "something similiar to Starbucks" I knew I had to ask!)
  4. Are there many children in the main dining rooms? My husband and I are determined to take the kids in there for dinner but we also don't want to be "that family".
  5. Coincedentaly my mom, her husband and some of their friends are going on the same cruise. How do you find out if you are in the same dining room as another passenger?
  6. I have heard about several complaints about Jamaica. I really wanted to do the Dunns River Falls excursion but a 2 hour bus ride? Is it really worth it to sit on a bus for 4 hours?? Are there any other suggestions?
  7. There seems to be a lot of discussion about not being able to stop in Grand Cayman. Does this happen a lot? If so, is October a good time to avoid this problem?
  8. I heard you could bring a "reasonable amount of coke products" onboard. Does anyone have a suggestion? 1 or 2 - 12 packs good per cabin?
  9. Has anyone been on the Mayan Ruin excursion? Is it worth it? Any other suggestions?

Thank you so much! We are so excited about this cruise, I made the kids a "countdown calendar" for it! :D

Kim

Wife to Gary for 13 years

MOM to 5!

Hannah ~ 7, Kolby, Lauryn & Dylan ~5, Holton ~2

Welcome to the board:) I still ask alot of questions so I'll answer the ones I can

- We didn't have a connecting stateroom but I have seen pictures and their nice and just right for you guys. Try webshots and type in Conquest connecting staterooms, that might help

- I think the coffee bar is an extra charge that you can charge to your S&S card. I wasn't in a coffee mood but it did look Starbucks like

- If you have an early seating then there will be other families with their kids in there. Late seatings are usually older kids like 13 and up. If your kids are well behaved then you won't have to worry about being "that family" and remember the Lido deck buffet is open for dinner and imo, the food was better there than in the dining rooms

- When you check in before you board you'll get your S&S card and it says what dining room you're in and the time and if you all want to be together than you see the maitre d when you board the ship

- We thought about the Dunns River Falls excursion but we passed because of the bus ride. You have small kids and I'm sure they will be anxious to get in some water and have some fun. I wouldn't subject them to sitting on a bus for two hours then climbing up a 100 ft+ waterfall.

I HIGHLY reccommend Sunset Beach. It's a 5 minute drive from the ship. There's a waterpark for the kids, beach, pool, snorkeling, paddleboats

- We brought a 24 pack of bottled water and other pouch drinks instead of sodas. We just divided the water and stuff up and packed it in the bottom of our suitcases. I reccommend bringing a cooler though, the ice buckets in the rooms are very small and the ice melts quick.

Have fun:)

Crystalblue0610 gave excellent answers so I'll just toss in my 2-cents on a few of your questions.

2) The floor to ceiling windows are all on Spa deck (deck 11). They are category 6E. We have not had one but we peeked in one and it looked very nice.

3) The coffee bar is on the Promenade deck aft and is an additional charge.

4 & 5) All passengers receive a dining assignment so all children can dine in the main dining rooms. If you want to dine with your friends you can try to arrange it after boarding by visiting the maitre'd. You will need to take at least one of your friends with you. Tell the maitre'd you would all like to be seated together. They will try to accommodate you but it may not be possible. The dining room staff is very amenable changes and they truly want to satisfy everyone.

6) Dunn's river falls is alot of fun but I would recommend against it on this itinerary. The road to Ocho Rios is not exactly a super highway. It is two hours in each direction so you will spend 4 hours bumping along on a bus. That is nearly half of the time the Conquest is in port. I would suggest you save this for a future cruise that calls on Ocho Rios. You can read alot of fine suggestions for excursions in or around Montego Bay on the Jamaica port of call board.

7) Grand Cayman is a tender port. The island itself has no sheltered harbor for cruise ships. If swells are large, usually above three feet, tendering is considered to be too dangerous so the port is skipped. It doesn't happen often but it does happen. I'm not aware of October being any better or worse except to say that October is still hurricane season.

8) Defining reasonable isn't an easy thing but a case per cabin seems reasonable to me. I would suggest you pack the beverages well in its own piece of luggage, perhaps a box. Have the porters deliver it to your cabin. Make sure you give the porters a nice tip when you arrive at the pier.

9) If you are talking about Tulum, it is a nice ruin right on the beach. The only problem with Tulum is that it is on the mainland. You will need to take a 45 minute launch to cross the channel, then a half-hour to 40 minute bus ride to reach it. Like Dunn's river falls, I would leave Tulum for a cruise that calls on Callica, the port on the mainland near Playa Del Carmen. Cozumel offers many options for a family to spend a nice day. Check out the boards and consider them before deciding on Tulum.

You can view our Conquest pictures here if you would like.

2865925580080888825SXyyzI_th.jpg

click on thumbnail

Have a great cruise!

We didn't have a connecting stateroom but I have seen pictures and their nice and just right for you guys. Try webshots and type in Conquest connecting staterooms, that might help

Thank you! I will try that.

If you have an early seating then there will be other families with their kids in there. Late seatings are usually older kids like 13 and up. If your kids are well behaved then you won't have to worry about being "that family" ....

Thanks! My children are very well behaved for their age, especially if food is involved. ;)

- We thought about the Dunns River Falls excursion but we passed because of the bus ride. You have small kids and I'm sure they will be anxious to get in some water and have some fun. I wouldn't subject them to sitting on a bus for two hours then climbing up a 100 ft+ waterfall.

I HIGHLY reccommend Sunset Beach. It's a 5 minute drive from the ship. There's a waterpark for the kids, beach, pool, snorkeling, paddleboats

My husband would be the only able to climb the falls. I have a bad back and the minimum age to climb the falls is 8. That is why I have a hard time justifying a 4 hour bus ride "just to see" the falls.

I have heard a lot about Sunset Beach. I will definetly consider that one.

- We brought a 24 pack of bottled water and other pouch drinks instead of sodas. We just divided the water and stuff up and packed it in the bottom of our suitcases. I reccommend bringing a cooler though, the ice buckets in the rooms are very small and the ice melts quick

My mother talks about the soda cards all the time. I figured we could save some money by just bringing on a couple rather than buying those. Besides, I don't let my kids drink that much soda. Putting some pouch drinks in is something I never even thought of. Thank you!

Kim

Carnival Destiny 12/2000

Carnival Conquest 9/30/2007!

Mayan Ruin-question.

My opinion is that it is definetly not worth it. Very Hot in summer and mosiquitos were very thirsty. Not sure about the Fall.

Personally my children would have been miserable

I would highly recommend Sunset Beach in Jamaica. Our three kids had a blast there. The waterpark is a nice break from all the sand and saltwater.

Our bunk was put up during the day and brought back down at night while we were eating.

1plustripletsplus1,

I am going on the same sailing as you with my five year old and my 2 year old boys. I know that they will be excited to hear that there will be other little guys there as well! My family will go to Paradise Beach in Cozumel (we have been there several times and enjoyed it), and Sunset Beach in Jamaica. Look forward to meeting you and your crew!

Veronica

vlee@pathfinderproperties.com

kim aka:1plus

check out the 9/30/07 roll call board. It is very active. I have not seen many on there traveling with kids but I guess that's because the time of year. Are your children boys or girls?

Veronica

FYI

Sunset Beach is an all-inclusive resort. The $40 admission for adults includes a bar-b-cue lunch and all you can drink. The $20 for minors includes the same sans the alcoholic beverages.

Sunset Beach also offers a sit-down restaurant for lunch which is included also. You will not be seated in bathing suits so you will need to bring a change of cloths with you.

Do they have anything to eat besides Barbeque? That isn't one of my children's few foods they eat