A "jeaneology"!!!

sgttami

I can't believe all the posts on the debates of wearing jeans on cruises. (dining room)

First, I own about three pair of ratty jeans that I only wear

A) around the house

B) around the yard

C) run to the bank (drive through) or a quick convenience store stop.

I just can't believe that people actually pack jeans for cruises, let alone think of wearing them to dinner. Other than Alaska, when the now ratty jeans were new I have never taken a pair on vacation. NEVER!

What is it with jeans?? It's a rare breed that looks good in them..(skinny guys with a nice butt!!)

Why all the hoopla..."can I wear jeans to dinner on a cruise?"

In a million years, I wouldn't wear jeans to dinner on a cruise OR dinner on land trips...they are hot, dark and sweaty. So why do people want to wear them on cruises in the Caribbean and why do they fight back when it's stated that jeans aren't proper attire???

Just curious.....no flames!!

I totally agree, I have 4 pairs though, one in not ratty, but embellsihed and I wear them to TGIF type places ONLY.

As the OP I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone. Hey, MY DH wears jeans every day for work!!

In going back to my first cruise in '92 when I asked my friend what to pack and when I mentioned jeans was told.." YOU DON'T WEAR JEANS ON A CRUISE!!" OK..sorry!! I don't know, I'd never cruised.

It just seems that on every cruise line now, people ask the same thing about wearing jeans to dinner when, although acceptable, others tend to go nuts about dress code.

Personally, I really don't care what people wear. I was just curious as to why jeans evoke such a big debate on cruises. Fifteen years ago, I never saw a pair on my first cruise.

And no.. I'm not looking for a flame fest!!! By no means am I saying jeans are low life..I just wouldn't pack them for a Caribbean cruise and I'd feel really weird wearing jeans to dinner on a ship. I'd feel the same at a nice restaurant at home.

I wasn't talking about the comfort of jeans in everyday life..that's a good thing. I only meant it in regards to cruising..

Thanks to those who know what I meant...

Pam

Pam I am glad to see that nothing that was said was taken to heart or degraded any one. SOmetime people do get a little heated when it come to voicing thier opions, you see that allot here and on other forums, I am glad to see that all that took the time to post thier thoughts did so in a respectable manner...I would not care if a tablemate wore jeans to dinner who am I to judge?? As long as we all are there for the same reason....have great sailing time and meet new friends

...I'm confused! :confused:

Was this a thread about:

A. Why people do or don't, should or shouldn't wear jeans on a cruise/and or in the dining room at (fill in the selected time), or;

B. Was this thread exploring the reason(s) why we keep having threads/discussions about this topic, or...

But, just in case, my answers are:

A. No, never have brought jeans on a cruise, and if someone else does, well...thats someone else, (and thats why my DW tells me she married me ;) )

B. Not sure, except their entertaining up to a point. (just like the endless booze threads, kid threads, travel iron threads,...)

I think everyone loves jeans, and owns some. But where they are appropriate just boils to personal opinion. Yes?

I think I own like 6 pair- 4 summer, and 2 winter. Come to think of it, I'll hasten to bet that not many people south of the border have flannel-lined jeans. How 'bout it Texans?!?!:D

Totally agree! Depending on the brand of jeans, they can cost anywhere from $200+.

I wouldn't be offended if I saw someone wearing jeans in the dining room if they were darker in colour, fitted and worn with a nice pair heels/wedges. To each his/her own.

I agree, but if nice jeans were allowed, all jeans would have to be allowed. The cruise line will never put "nice jeans" on the dress code, because that's impossible to define. If jeans are allowed, you get the good, the bad, and the ugly.

As said by Anna Wintour (Editor in Chief of Vogue Magazine) Jeans can be just as fashionable as a couture gown. I guess it all depends on where you live and what century you are living in. Jeans are an everyday part of life in Los Angeles and we happen to be one of the most fashionable cities. We eat at places like Mortons in Los Angeles, and the only people NOT wearing jeans are the tourists. You can feel the way you want, but you are being extremely naive.

I am from Los Angeles and I eat at Morton's as well. Because their dress code is "business casual," I don't wear jeans when I eat there. Jeans may be stylish, but they are not "business casual," and definately not appropriate for an elegant, five star restaurant like Morton's.

I agree, but if nice jeans were allowed, all jeans would have to be allowed. The cruise line will never put "nice jeans" on the dress code, because that's impossible to define. If jeans are allowed, you get the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Why do you keep insinuating that people who wear jeans have no taste and would wear anything? I've never seen dirty, ragged or torn jeans in the dining room for dinner on any cruise I've been on, but I've seen plenty of jeans. I have also seen people in some pretty ugly outfits that no way could you describe as "nice". Maybe RCI should preface all their dress code suggestions with "nice" and then we'd have a whole lot more threads to discuss what "nice" means.

Bottom line, jeans, nice or not, are allowed on RCI.

It's a rare breed that looks good in them..(skinny guys with a nice butt!!)

Skinny guys with a nice butt? First of all, if a guy is "skinny" I wouldn't give his butt a second look. I would think his butt would be bony and his jeans would be baggy in the rear.

Second, I must be a rare breed because I look good in my jeans, thank you very much.

And third, you must be an extremely shallow person to bash anyone who wears jeans (on a cruise or anywhere else). As long as the person across the table from me is pleasant and not falling down drunk in his plate, I don't care if he's wearing a potato sack.

Get over it...and get over yourself too.:rolleyes:

I have to agree with jbond here, Too judge some one's taste or class is just wrong and I too have seen some pretty Fugly gowns in some readers pictures!! I dont if it was them or a member of thier party but someone should have made should they did not leave the cabin with that dress (for ladies) or shirt and pants (for the guys) who are we to say whats in good taste or not I dont think that men shold wear church socks with sneakers or black shoes with white socks but that does not mean that they should not be able to dine or be concidered as tasteless, If RCCI lets them in then so be it, Ya'll can sit with me I will be the one with soccer jersey, jeans shorts and shower shoes on walkin up in down the floor with some one crying baby just to tick some one off ;)

Dining in jeans, t-shirts, shorts, tank tops or swimsuits detracts from the overall ambience and is therefore not allowed in the main dining room after 6:00pm.

That was taken straight from Celebrity's website. I noticed most posters said RCI allows jeans, but X clearly does not. Seems pretty clear to me. If you want to wear jeans in the dining room, choose a line where that's okay.

Why do you keep insinuating that people who wear jeans have no taste and would wear anything? I've never seen dirty, ragged or torn jeans in the dining room for dinner on any cruise I've been on, but I've seen plenty of jeans. I have also seen people in some pretty ugly outfits that no way could you describe as "nice". Maybe RCI should preface all their dress code suggestions with "nice" and then we'd have a whole lot more threads to discuss what "nice" means.

Bottom line, jeans, nice or not, are allowed on RCI.

The dress code for RCCL does not say jeans are acceptable. I am reading the same dress code as you are, and I am not seeing the place where it says jeans are okay for dinner. I see the word slacks, but jeans are not slacks. So maybe you can show me what I am missing.

IMHO, jeans are not acceptable for dinners. For the record, I wear jeans all the time because, believe it or not, I actually love jeans. I have spent a small fortune on "7" jeans, and I love them! However, since when are my jeans, even at $175 a pop, right to wear for dinner, be it at a fine restaurant or in an elegant cruise ship dining room. Jeans are casual attire, no matter what price tag. And RCCL's causal night dress code does not say that jeans are acceptable.

The dress code for RCCL does not say jeans are acceptable.

RCI's dress code doesn't say a lot of things are "acceptable". I've just checked my latest RCI Cruise Vacation Guide. Nowhere does it mention the word acceptable. It says ..for evenings, count on these three basic types of attire....

To use your argument, Formal states: cocktail dresses for women; suits and ties or tuxedos for men. so, according to you, kilts are out and servicemen will not be allowed to wear uniforms. Nowhere does it say "they are acceptable". Also all those elegant ladies in full length gowns are "unacceptable". It only mentions cocktail dresses in the Cruise Vacation Guide.

So maybe you can show me what I am missing.

I doubt that is possible.

If you want to wear jeans in the dining room, choose a line where that's okay.

I do, that's why we sail RCI more than any other line. Princess states that jeans should not be worn in the dining room for dinner and I respect their wishes.

Ya'll can sit with me I will be the one with soccer jersey,

My kind of guy. I have over 20 soccer shirts from around the world. Great conversation pieces in port, especially Europe and Mexico.

Skinny guys with a nice butt? First of all, if a guy is "skinny" I wouldn't give his butt a second look. I would think his butt would be bony and his jeans would be baggy in the rear.

Second, I must be a rare breed because I look good in my jeans, thank you very much.

And third, you must be an extremely shallow person to bash anyone who wears jeans (on a cruise or anywhere else). As long as the person across the table from me is pleasant and not falling down drunk in his plate, I don't care if he's wearing a potato sack.

Hahaha ....I'm with you Cruzfan. Skinny guys with nice butts?? Ouch! Can an entire phrase be an oxymoron? And I must be with you in the rare breed category. My hubby lurvs me in jeans!

But, about jeans and cruises. (This is really getting to be a tiresome subject, no?) On our last cruise (June, W. Caribbean), there were scads of people in jeans at night out on deck. It's pretty doggone breezy out there with that ship in motion, and I was sorry I didn't have any of MY casual kick around jeans. I will from now on, though. And they are no hotter to wear or bulky to pack than any other pair of pants. It's just dumb to say otherwise. Matter of fact, I don't even WEAR my jeans much when the weather gets really cold, because they aren't warm ENOUGH.

I did take one pair of really nice jeans, white with white embroidery, that I wore twice on casual nights in the dining room. With the right top and high heeled sandals, I looked pretty darn good, if I must say so myself. BIG difference between the Levis I wear when I mow the yard and the jeans I would wear (and DID wear) to a nice dinner. It's apples and oranges.

jbond is my type of guy, he know how to take whats given and still have a great time regardless of what others are up in arms about! If I paid my 7grand for my trip the last thing I am gonna worry about is if some one else (who mind you also paid there own fare) is wearing jeans or not to dinner :p

The shorter the cruise, the younger the crowd. The younger the crowd, the more jeans you'll see. The cheaper the cruise, the more jeans you'll see. The more you sail on Carnival or Royal Caribbean, the more jeans you'll see. If you sail on NCL, you'll see a lot of jeans because of "freestyle cruising".

You all don't need to have a cow over this issue. On the expensive lines you'll not see jeans in the dining room and if you did, the person would be definitely out of place. They simply don't belong. On the cheaper lines you would not be out of place whatsoever in the dining room, in jeans. Carnival and RCI operate "party cruises" out of Port Canaveral and Miami and those sailings will be full of jeans....in port, on deck, at the shows, in the clubs and.....in the dining room. That's just the way it is.

BobK/Orlando

next up: Carnival Elation (03/07) <<<will be wearing jeans, with cute butt!

If you had read my second post, I wasn't bashing anyone for wearing jeans...

I was simply asking originally why people take jeans on a cruise when for the most part they aren't acceptable for dining.

There is nothing for me to "get over" ..It was a simple question.

On another note, if the person across from me is pleasant and is wearing a potato sack...Yup, he's a wing nut!!

When I said "skinny guys look good in jeans" I was only implying those visions of the calendar guys that look hot...nothing sexist...just cute!

JEEZ-US... No wonder we're at war!!

The shorter the cruise, the younger the crowd. The younger the crowd, the more jeans you'll see. The cheaper the cruise, the more jeans you'll see. The more you sail on Carnival or Royal Caribbean, the more jeans you'll see. If you sail on NCL, you'll see a lot of jeans because of "freestyle cruising".

You all don't need to have a cow over this issue. On the expensive lines you'll not see jeans in the dining room and if you did, the person would be definitely out of place. They simply don't belong. On the cheaper lines you would not be out of place whatsoever in the dining room, in jeans. Carnival and RCI operate "party cruises" out of Port Canaveral and Miami and those sailings will be full of jeans....in port, on deck, at the shows, in the clubs and.....in the dining room. That's just the way it is.

BobK/Orlando

next up: Carnival Elation (03/07) <<<will be wearing jeans, with cute butt!

I second all of this. People act all highfalutin...until you choose that type of cruise line, you will have to get over your pretentiousness "facade" and get used to seeing jeans. They are OK. To each his own. I've got more important things to worry about when I'm on my vacation. If you want to snicker behind people's back, go ahead. This is a ridiculous thing to worry about.

I always wonder if it's a generational thing. I don't understand the clothing choices of people 10 years younger than myself (leggings and skirts? didn't we do that in 1989?):rolleyes:

I think there are so many arguments about this because it quickly advances from a discussion about clothing to a discussion about the level of "class" the person wearing the clothing displays and people take it personally.

I also think that the original posters purposely start 99.9% of these threads just to watch the action.;)

The shorter the cruise, the younger the crowd. The younger the crowd, the more jeans you'll see. The cheaper the cruise, the more jeans you'll see. The more you sail on Carnival or Royal Caribbean, the more jeans you'll see.

Sounds logical, but in my experience it isn't true. We have never cruised less than 7 days and usually cruise 12 or more. Last year we did a 15 day cruise on Princess, LA-Hawaii-LA. We're no chickens, but we felt quite part of the younger set. :) The average age was well into the 70's. I have never seen so many jeans on a cruise. There were definitely no "skinny guys with tight butts" to be seen, just lots of old folks wearing baggy, comfort cut Levis. For rosinryanz, I don't think baggy, comfort cut Levis look any worse or better than baggy, ill cut, wrinkled Dockers that would fit your acceptance code. The weather was really poor and I don't know if it affected peoples attitudes, but it was, without doubt, the poorest dressed cruise we have experienced. Obviously just our opinion, but far below the level of any cruise, RCI or Princess, that we have been on.

okeedokey folks,, we are closing again, another jean thread.. those of you who want to read more on jeans or no jeans can search ALL the old jean threads and you will see its like beating a dead horse to death .. let's move on...

Archived